SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 740

ULL is a great university that provides an excellent education. While its name may not carry the prestige other schools in the state carry, ULL is becoming highly acclaimed. With all of the advancements in technology and communication it's becoming a reality. Again, like others have previously mentioned what you plan on doing in life and the program you are looking into makes all the difference as to where you should attend. Some programs are much better than others. (Geology recently been crowned best in the WORLD)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Do you believe that you would not have been wined and dined by Halliburton or Baker Hughes had you gone to LSU, aTm or any other four year school for that matter? You graduated into an oilfield related major with oil over $100 per barrel. Anyone with a degree that is even remotely related to the oil field right now can get a job it is a hot field. Do you think aTm graduates are having a hard time finding a job right now?

When I graduated in 2000, I had 14 job offers and I stopped taking interviews. Does that mean I would not have had the 14 offers at LSU or Rice or even ULL? Actually had I gone to a better University I bet I would have had even more offers.

ULL as a good school I think is a given. Good school, beautiful campus and women. Great school? Not outside of west Louisiana by most people. Sorry but I think most people still see the state as Tulane, then LSU and then the other tier. In that other tier you find ULL, MSU, SLU, etc... ULL I think is the top notch school in the third tier and there is nothing wrong with that.

You cannot compare ULL to a tier one school. That tier one school cost money and if your goal is to get a good job close to home in most majors that ULL is a fine choice and you will do really well.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
This is a great topic! And very interesting thread. With your question given in the above writing, let me tell you about "Oscar". Oscar, or Big O as I call him is a young man from Venezuela that had a degree in petroleum engineering from Oklahoma, and had enrolled in ULL for his masters in Petroleum Engineering. When my boss met Big O, he was waiting tables in Agave Resturant in Lafayette. Big O appleid to many companies in OK prior to graduating with honors, but nobody would give him a chance so he decided to enroll for his masters. My boss met him and after several visits and discussions over a couple weeks, he gave Big O a card and told him to call. That was 1.5 years ago. Big O is now the lead engineer on some amazing new developments in technology and he was in my office last week. To see what this "kid" is doing up there in PA on some fracs we call "spiders" is truly a crazy sight to see! He is awesome!!! All because he couldn't find a job in OK and came to Lafayette!!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Considering UL....3 things pulling me towards it over MSU... Fishing Team.. Central Loacation... and obviously the women..
you wont regret UL, i came here for school 13 years ago and have never left. You will like everything about lafayette, dead center of really good fishing. traffic is only bad at certain times on certain streets. Once you live here there are plenty of ways around it. Its only really bad on johnston st at 5. plenty of great places to live, apartments and houses in the saint streets, if you need to store a boat. there is no place with prettier girls, at least that ive been, and ive been alot of places. not to mention you are in the heart of oil country. job's are pleanty within a 20 mile radius of lafayette. its also just big enough where you can do your own thing but small enough where you get to know a lot of people. I met some of my best friends and hunting/fishing buddies here. another cool thing is just about everybody has a camp somewhere.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
This is a great topic! And very interesting thread. With your question given in the above writing, let me tell you about "Oscar". Oscar, or Big O as I call him is a young man from Venezuela that had a degree in petroleum engineering from Oklahoma, and had enrolled in ULL for his masters in Petroleum Engineering. When my boss met Big O, he was waiting tables in Agave Resturant in Lafayette. Big O appleid to many companies in OK prior to graduating with honors, but nobody would give him a chance so he decided to enroll for his masters. My boss met him and after several visits and discussions over a couple weeks, he gave Big O a card and told him to call. That was 1.5 years ago. Big O is now the lead engineer on some amazing new developments in technology and he was in my office last week. To see what this "kid" is doing up there in PA on some fracs we call "spiders" is truly a crazy sight to see! He is awesome!!! All because he couldn't find a job in OK and came to Lafayette!!
Oscar met someone that helped him, not necessarily related to rather he went to school at Harvard, OU or ULL. Good story, I am glad Oscar is doing well.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Banned

UL has a good engineering program, plus lafayette has good quality of life.
Companies look more at experience than anything, stick with any STEM related degree. My choice would be a BSME first.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Brayden, let me throw this out there to you. ULL is great and so is the town, along the lines of what everyone has said here, it has pretty much been covered. Sure traffic is a mess, but what town isn't and besides, at ULL - you don't need to drive for much anyway! I attended both ULL and McNeese, and ULL was better since they had more to offer (classes, recreation, culture, etc.).

Now, what you want to pursue for a career needs to be looked at also. I have no regrets in my life, but after going to school for 3 years and working as a paramedic for 13, I now find myself in the oil/gas industry. To see what 22 y/o petroleum engineers are bringing in makes me sick to my stomach. Sure the medical field is great, especially nursing, but if I had to do it all over again - PE would be the ticket. I laugh to see what my brother-n-law spent in loans and college expenses to become a M.D. (general practice at that) compared to what he is making. He will work for 10 years to pay it off, making what I make in the office. These PE's are making double and unless they design a "flux capacitor" (sp?) that makes the use of hydrocarbon energy disappear, then we will need more than ever. With your grades/mentality/personality - the sky is the limit. ULL has one of the best PE programs around and big money jobs are waiting.

If you would like, let's set up a day when you can come to Lafayette, meet some of the guys that work for us and we can take you around the campus. I would also like to introduce you to the director of the PE school here at ULL so you can meet some of the students to see what they are working on and some of the things you can expect. Let me know, invitation is open!
Fool, I would have to agree with FFF on some of what he has to say. I'm a Petroleum Engineer grad, but from LSU. When I graduated, I was turned down for some interviews because I went to LSU and not aTm or OU. The oilfield is a very tight knit community and there is loads of money to be made if you work hard and have a personality.

I remember when I started college, my Dad told me in 10 yrs you will be able to name your price and place you want to work as Petroleum Engineers are a dying breed and we will always need oil and gas. Being out of school for 9 yrs now, I can say he is correct. I work in Lafayette for a small impendent company and can say it was the best decision I have every made.

When I graduated there were 5 engineers in my class and three were going back overseas which left three working in the USA.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 639

I saw UL Lafayette fishing on a FLW college tour the other day, they have had a bass club for several years, just not well known
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

USL Grad here.....as long as Lafayette is the service hub of the oilfield, there will be PLENTY jobs around.

As far as Cypress Lake near the union.....You NEVER want to have to "clean" it!!!!!!! But is was a fair price for the fun "we" had.

And...where in the heck can you get a poboy like Old Time Grocery that close to campus!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Just for the sake of argument, the link below lists the top engineering schools in the country.

Schools of note:

UT - 8
aTm - 12
Rice - 31
UofH - 77
LSU - 93
Tulane - 102
OU - 102
Bama - 109
La Tech - 126

ULL not listed.

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory...ng.aspx?page=1
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Fool as good as your grades are and you love for fishing....As much as I hate to day this...

But you could get a ride to UT which you would have all kinds of fishing and wildlife opportunities
Also LSU has a great fishing team....just think you have more options than ULL or MSU

IMO

Even AtM would be close to home and great for u
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Chicken those stats are bs....schools give money so they get a better ranking...

BTW, why U MAD @ ULL.......
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Chicken those stats are bs....schools give money so they get a better ranking...

Not mad, I have no issue with ULL. I know Fool is a 4.0 student and if he is smart as people say he is with a great ACT score he could get in a much better more highly recognized school. I think it is great that everyone on here is proud of their ULL degree and they should be. I recognize ULL for what it is not want some want it to be.

It is his life, if he wants to stay close to home and get a free ride then who can blame him. Also I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Lafy, I have heard it is a great city to live in.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:

Where u rank
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Where u rank
This coming from soneone who did not finish high school.....l m a o
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Just for the sake of argument, the link below lists the top engineering schools in the country.

Schools of note:

UT - 8
aTm - 12
Rice - 31
UofH - 77
LSU - 93
Tulane - 102
OU - 102
Bama - 109
La Tech - 126

ULL not listed.

http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory...ng.aspx?page=1
Those stats matter if you want to devote your entire life to your job and become an R&D engineer somewhere like NASA, but for what he said he wants to do I think mcneese or ul will be more than enough. As long as your school is ABET accredited and you graduate with an engineering degree, you should have no problem finding work. At least in mechanical engineering. Can't speak for the other disciplines
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Those stats matter if you want to devote your entire life to your job and become an R&D engineer somewhere like NASA, but for what he said he wants to do I think mcneese or ul will be more than enough. As long as your school is ABET accredited and you graduate with an engineering degree, you should have no problem finding work. At least in mechanical engineering. Can't speak for the other disciplines
I agree with you 100% well said. I think this thread has turned into a ULL is the best school in the country debate (which it is not) v/s is it a good school and can he find a job. There is no doubt that there is plenty of work for him in the Lafy area and that a degree from ULL will get him there and he can and will do just fine.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Question

Quote:
This coming from soneone who did not finish high school.....l m a o
LMaO try again...I guess your Engineering Degree is putting you on top of the world...I'm proud of you Renee'
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

A school is what you make of it. Some see McNeese as Ryan Street High, others see it as something to be proud of, a four year university that if you graduate from it, means a great deal. Same goes for every university, including ULL, although I will deny that it was me that said this. Someone had to have hacked me. Geaux Pokes!! Haha

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
LMaO try again...I guess your Engineering Degree is putting you on top of the world...I'm proud of you Renee'
+1
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I would go to the best school that offers the best incentives for you to go there. If you get a full ride to a great school do it, and it may be worth it just if you get a partial scholarship to go ahead and take the partial for the better school. Not saying a full ride to ULL would be bad, but I know for a fact if I had gone to ULL I would have not made it here. The scenery is absolutely ridiculous and ULL is ranked as a party school, so the temptations would definitely be there. I moved down to Lafayette 2 years ago and I have really enjoyed this place and may decide to stay, and I am a big time N La 'homer'.

Austin is a very cool place, the school is great, no shortage of girls there either, and they may be looking for someone who doesn't gel up their hair and shave their arms!