SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/fishing-a...hing-colleges/

http://anglers.tamu.edu/
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

Sfa has a good fishing team!?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

All I have to say is I love it here at mcneese. Coming from a big city, I got sick and tired of so many people. This place suits my pace of life very well. We have some great departments here. Saw someone mention a crocdillian expert...that would be Mark Merchant. He is developing antibiotics from alligator serum. I worked with him for a couple days getting a gator out of its pen so he could weigh it and record data. He is a stand-up guy and likes hard rock.

The agriculture department is good too. All the professors are interested and concerned with students performance. I have learned a lot from my agriculture classes...might even get into farming one day. But next year I hope to end up in the oil field so I can get my $$ where I want it to be and buy my dad a place to retire on Toledo bend.

ULL has a good campus and a good night life. But, I love it here in lake Charles and as much as I love Texas, I'm here to stay.

sammich
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

You have to Be inthe top 10% of your class to be accepted to UT if you are from Texas. I'm sure the out of state requirements are even higher.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

fool lots of good advise on this thread just don't short change your self on education for good looking women and outdoor activities it all comes in time
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

synopsis:

FOOL- go to best school possible regardless of the women fishing etc...get your degree and then fish
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Alot of my close friends got engineering degrees from UL in civil, mechanical, petroleum, and electrical engineering. I could put u in contact with any of them if u want and u can talk to em about it. If you want some first hand info.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

The BEST school is the school of HARD KNOCKS and OJT. I agree if you are a in a specific field and plan on a lifetime committment to a company, pick the best. Problem is that it is not a 2 way street. There isn't anymore committment from ownership or the worfkforce...it is what can you do for me now and i will go across the street for .25/hr more.....and by the way, here is your package....we are downsizing.....as you get up in age.

Alumn help alum......Period! Doesn't matter what college!

Any Cajuns out there! LOL
Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

With the Oil and Gas industries being so abundant in SWLA (Laf. included) it's hard for me to say no to ULL for my degree plan. Yes MSU would probably do, but I want to get out of LC, but not leave completely. Really think I would be miserable at a big school, just due to the fact I can't stand the city. Going to ULL, I have a chance to slip away and enjoy some fishing and hunting.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
With the Oil and Gas industries being so abundant in SWLA (Laf. included) it's hard for me to say no to ULL for my degree plan. Yes MSU would probably do, but I want to get out of LC, but not leave completely. Really think I would be miserable at a big school, just due to the fact I can't stand the city. Going to ULL, I have a chance to slip away and enjoy some fishing and hunting.

You an hour from home its not like you going to Egypt.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
You an hour from home its not like you going to Egypt.
Yea but the bass fishing around here sucks compared to that end. Hunting is a different story though.

And Waltrip.. it's fine that they aren't the #1 fishing team.. I'm not enrolled in there yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

I work in the oil and gas industry, but Id really try to avoid it if I were you. It is a very cyclical industry.
If I could do it all over I'd be looking at something in healthcare, or engineering in something other than the oil industry.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

fool if you want you can try a big school in the city and if you dont like it then transfer
Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
I wish i would have my head screwed on as straight as you when i was your age!
Im right there with you......at fools age all I was worried about was partying and women. Now I am 26 and work my tail off to make a halfway decent living. Thinking hard about going back to school next year.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Im right there with you......at fools age all I was worried about was partying and women. Now I am 26 and work my tail off to make a halfway decent living. Thinking hard about going back to school next year.
Wait a year, and then Join up when I go! lol.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Wait a year, and then Join up when I go! lol.
I would start out at SLCC then transfer to UL....my younger brother is doing that, it is cheaper and get both of best worlds. We shall see...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Ull grad here... their research programs are outstanding for the college size..
X2! Lafayette is a great city, with terrific food, culture, festivals, nightlife, and women. And about an hour from great freshwater fishing.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I have read all the way through this tread. Some interesting opinions. It's good to see so many people willing to give advice to a young man. Fool obviously has made a good impression on many here. Here is my opinon for anyone thinking about the future. If you plan on going in the oil industry you really need to think about how far you want to go. If you really want to make BIG money you have to plan on making it in to management. Not everyone plans their career this way. Many just think I will get a degree from XYZ university and get a job etc. That is fine. You graduate and get a job and there you go. However, if you ever want to make the REAL money you have to think differently. In the oil industry going to the right school means more than I can tell you. Look at the board of every major oil company and service company I can almost guarantee the majority of the members went to aTm. I've seen it over and over. Does that mean it's a better school? No, it's all about networking. Now does a degree from another school mean you can't make it? No, you just have to work harder and be smarter. Also you have to be flexible about where you live. Don't limit yourself. If you want to succed in you career you have to be willing to go where your needed. My final bit of advice is to learn other languages Spanish, French and Portugese and if you can Chinese would be very valuable. That is VERY important! Good Luck.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
synopsis:

FOOL- go to best school possible regardless of the women fishing etc...get your degree and then fish
DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER !!!!

This right here is the best advice you will ever receive, PERIOD!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I have read all the way through this tread. Some interesting opinions. It's good to see so many people willing to give advice to a young man. Fool obviously has made a good impression on many here. Here is my opinon for anyone thinking about the future. If you plan on going in the oil industry you really need to think about how far you want to go. If you really want to make BIG money you have to plan on making it in to management. Not everyone plans their career this way. Many just think I will get a degree from XYZ university and get a job etc. That is fine. You graduate and get a job and there you go. However, if you ever want to make the REAL money you have to think differently. In the oil industry going to the right school means more than I can tell you. Look at the board of every major oil company and service company I can almost guarantee the majority of the members went to aTm. I've seen it over and over. Does that mean it's a better school? No, it's all about networking. Now does a degree from another school mean you can't make it? No, you just have to work harder and be smarter. Also you have to be flexible about where you live. Don't limit yourself. If you want to succed in you career you have to be willing to go where your needed. My final bit of advice is to learn other languages Spanish, French and Portugese and if you can Chinese would be very valuable. That is VERY important! Good Luck.
Best advice on this board.

Fool, you have my number so feel free to call me at any time as I would be more than happy to discuss this with you. Or we could do so over a soda pop