SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Whatever is cheapest. And last few years that has been rios. I find #4s an all around good shot. I duck and goose hunt with 4s. 2-3/4" or 3" doesn't really matter. Teal and timber huntjng I shoot low brass 7s.
X2
As much as I duck hunt, I try and buy the cheapest available. I have never had issues with either. Usually Xpert or Sportsman. 2 3/4 for teal #4 or 6 and 3" for big ducks #3 or 4. Shoot Kent a good bit when I'm at the camp for a few days and run out cause that's what they carry at Billy's in PI for the low price of $20/box for 3" 4s. Crooks! Sometimes Billy's has Kent "Teal Steel" which is a 3" #6 I use to shoot big ducks. It's about $4-5 cheaper per box.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

I can tell you I had no better luck with the expensive stuff last year.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 659
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I'll be Potlickin your hole in November.
Come on. Bring that black hound of yours. More the merrier
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 919

3" no 6 estate for teal and big ducks. Have killed geese with them also. For a average shooter more pellets is better then less and bigger pellets
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,111

Rio shoots the best for the money
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Anything but estate and the cheap winchester shells. I have also seen the brass break off a lot on the estates. Whatever you do pick, stick with it.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I've had the brass pull off of a lot of shells. Almost all of it was from the shell gettin wet and swelling. But it was much more frequent with the cheap shells with bad primer seals and poor crimps.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Estates fresh out the box and dry... Happened to many times. Not normal. Charlie at Cajun fast Mart had several come in that had bought them there, let him know that they had problems. 1 every once in a while is something different than this..
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

I don't think I've ever heard of Rio before. May have to try that out.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
Whatever fits in that Beretta!!!!! Never had a problem with cheap or free shells. If they burn dirty I have a rag and some oil to clean my gun with. Attached is the weapon that really makes my hunt much better. Good ol black hound. Oh, and a patternmaster choke makes those "cheap and free shells" crunch a few more birds if you put it on them like I do haha.
Yeah I know how you do. Where's the invite fool? lmao.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Quote:
Whatever fits in that Beretta!!!!! Never had a problem with cheap or free shells. If they burn dirty I have a rag and some oil to clean my gun with. Attached is the weapon that really makes my hunt much better. Good ol black hound. Oh, and a patternmaster choke makes those "cheap and free shells" crunch a few more birds if you put it on them like I do haha.

Good thing I know where that hole is yeah?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSteelsetter View Post
Good thing I know where that hole is yeah?
lmao, BOOM! Can't be any worse that that spot in Sabine we hunted man. Want to get me a little pirogue built so hunting there will be easier, but I don't know if I will this year.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Redfish

Sabine has NO ducks at all!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
King Mackeral

lmao. Hye, what you call no ducks, I call dinner.....lmao!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
I know exactly where that spot is. It is actually 3 ponds that are seperated by some grass but it used to be one big pond. The middle pond is a killer. I used to smoke the greys in there with a few mallards and teal mixed in. It was a great hole. Greys would come from way up and just bomb in wanting the pond big time. It was the easiest duck hunting in the world. About 15 yards of grass to walk through then you were in the pond. I even had a small boat I would leave out there and we would load all our **** in it and go across the pond to the south side of it cuz thats where the ducks would always want to go. We used to hunt every day the reserve was open. Then a bunch of clowns heard all our shots and started boom scouting. Next thing I know, they started beating me there. Must have been getting there before 4am cuz we werent far from 4 am when we got there. I hunted one of the holes next to it since I got beat to the good hole and what I saw was devastating. Ducks wanting that south side of the pond and these yahoos are set up on the east side shooting them at 100 yards instead of just moving to the spot the birds wanted to go. They would cripple 1 or 2 from every other flock. I said thats it I'm done with this circus, I'll go to my other spot that aint as good. Whenever I would pass that hole, there would be about 4 boats parked in it like there was a sign saying "come bang Jennifer Anniston". Boats would flock to this hole. Your boat doesn't look like one of the boats that was there when I quit hunting it. I remember the main boat had a Mega 25 on it. It was always there. Those jackasses even poured water in my buddys gas tank because he beat them to the hole we had been hunting in the first place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (40.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
I know exactly where that spot is. It is actually 3 ponds that are seperated by some grass but it used to be one big pond. The middle pond is a killer. I used to smoke the greys in there with a few mallards and teal mixed in. It was a great hole. Greys would come from way up and just bomb in wanting the pond big time. It was the easiest duck hunting in the world. About 15 yards of grass to walk through then you were in the pond. I even had a small boat I would leave out there and we would load all our **** in it and go across the pond to the south side of it cuz thats where the ducks would always want to go. We used to hunt every day the reserve was open. Then a bunch of clowns heard all our shots and started boom scouting. Next thing I know, they started beating me there. Must have been getting there before 4am cuz we werent far from 4 am when we got there. I hunted one of the holes next to it since I got beat to the good hole and what I saw was devastating. Ducks wanting that south side of the pond and these yahoos are set up on the east side shooting them at 100 yards instead of just moving to the spot the birds wanted to go. They would cripple 1 or 2 from every other flock. I said thats it I'm done with this circus, I'll go to my other spot that aint as good. Whenever I would pass that hole, there would be about 4 boats parked in it like there was a sign saying "come bang Jennifer Anniston". Boats would flock to this hole. Your boat doesn't look like one of the boats that was there when I quit hunting it. I remember the main boat had a Mega 25 on it. It was always there. Those jackasses even poured water in my buddys gas tank because he beat them to the hole we had been hunting in the first place.
Ah the joys of Public Land hunting. They should allow the public, not jack***es.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Those jackasses even poured water in my buddys gas tank because he beat them to the hole we had been hunting in the first place.
Tell me bout it. I gotta race a guy to my hole in Sabine in the morning, and his boat does 65 mph.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Redfish

Quote:
feel your pain man. I respect others when hunting that place but some people "own" it all. Just a thought though, maybe don't put a map with an "x" over the spot. Its not a secret spot but it'll keep the potlickers and web hunters at bay. I haven't had anyone mess with me there yet. This year wasn't that great so I spent a lot of time in Sabine and did ok. Hopefully I can find some more good holes that produce. Good luck