SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,515
Thumbs up Any of you into fundraising for a good cause?

As many of you know, the "official" charity of the Salty forums is the Children's Brain Tumor Research Foundation (CBTRF). My wife and I founded this nonprofit org to help advance research and knowledge sharing regarding the rare types of pediatric brain tumors that are overlooked by the other existing orgs. Our son passed away last month following a heroic battle against the rarest and most aggressive brain tumor known, AT/RT. During the 13 months he fought this cancer, we learned that there is virtually nothing known about this type of tumor, and nearly zero research dollars being spent learning about it. We have vowed to change this, and have just recruited the top genetic biologist in the US for this type of tumor to join our medical advisory panel. We are excited about the progress we have already made, but we haven't even skimmed the surface yet. We have lots of big plans, but very little money to put towards them.

Most every successful nonprofit has a "hook" for fundraising. One large brain tumor org uses motorcycle rides, poker runs, etc to solicit donations, others do bicycle rides, marathons, walks, etc. With fishing being one of my favorite passtimes, what better to use for fundraising? Have any of you ever organized fundraising events, and are you willing to organize one in LA for our foundation? If you are interested, let me know what you've done in the past or any special skills you can bring to the table. All assistance is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I will step up and donate the 1st $ 50 …….How many of you will match or bet this offer!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,104

does n e one have any suggestions on where to have it?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Shadman- Our family is saddened by your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. With that said, my hat is off to you for your dedication on this difficult topic. Working in the oilfield, I am exposed to many different fundraising events, from fishing tournaments, golf, sporting clays, poker runs, etc. My time is maxed out with work, and family, but I will help in anyway possible.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

So Sorry Shad..Let Us Know something when it gets organized..We have alot of charity events over here at BSM..its a great place to host one...just let us know and keep us updated..will do anything to help.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 AM
*****Cajun *******

Cash: 662
Default billystix is in

hi shad
get it going and i will build a great 6ft6 off shore #50 class spiral for the guys that fish the rigs or the bottom bumpers and of course it will be a spiral, i will include graphite titanium tough butt, graphite reel seat and a set of good guides, i will also put that special thang that i do on the off shore rods that makes them so very special when the big boys climb on that rod and it does the double bend you see it has taken me close to 30 years of rod building to plus my own bottom bumping to learn why a rod does what it does.
story for you i have been out grouper fishing and trying out a new billystix only to find it did not meet my crytria so when i got home that night i stripped it and did to it what i thought was right or wrong until i proved what did work or did not work, you cant beat the ole man when it comes to hands on bottom bumpinnnn
so when you get this thing going i will help out.
stix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of stark tarpon photo 08.jpg (91.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 650
FlagUS

Shad anything that I can do, will be done I'll PM you and let you know what I've done in the past.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

i will pitch in when i can and would be willing to help with an event
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Westerly neighbor

Thanks, guys!

Finfurfeather - What type of events that you have attended have been the most fun, and most profitable for the orgs involved? We have also considered a golf tourney and other ideas, but with my 30 handicap, I obviously don't have many connections in golf.

Any ideas on where/when for a fishing tournament? A good weighmaster that may be willing to volunteer their time? Any guides that may be willing to donate trips or others that may be willing to donate items for auction/raffle? We should have our 501(c)3 designation within the month, so donations will be tax-deductible up to the IRS limits.

Does the state of LA allow raffles? I know TX doesn't, but a lot of people do them anyway.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

yes you may do raffles in LA.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

may i make a suggestion of a tournament?

since there has been a many of speck tours going on, why not do a red fish tour.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250
Default help

shad i will be willing to help out anyway i can.our prayers go out to you and your familly.i can offer time and a little money.pm me and let me lnow what i need to do to help.these type of medical situations need to be researched especially if they are affecting our children.please pm me.i need to help
Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329

Shad, just like FFF, I'm in the oil field and participate in many fundraising events. From what I see, sporting clays brings in the biggest profit. If I remember correctly, some profits are in the 25K-40K range depending on how many people show up. With so many people on this board in the oil field and hunt for fun, it may be a great tune up before dove season starts.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Westerly neighbor

Would one of you with experience in sporting clays fundraisers be willing to help out if we went that route? I'v e shot clays a few times, but I wouldn't know where to start in setting up a fundraiser event around it (e.g. Where, what dates, how to get the word out to the crowd that would be interested in attending, etc). Sounds interesting, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
Shad, just like FFF, I'm in the oil field and participate in many fundraising events. From what I see, sporting clays brings in the biggest profit. If I remember correctly, some profits are in the 25K-40K range depending on how many people show up. With so many people on this board in the oil field and hunt for fun, it may be a great tune up before dove season starts.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Westerly neighbor

Also, I've received several PMs asking, so here is the info for anyone who would like to make a monetary contribution, or send any type of trip/merchandise vouchers:

Monetary contributions can be sent by mail to:

CBTRF
P.O. Box 950
Porter, TX 77365

Or via PayPal to donate@cbtrf.org .

Receipts will be provided for all donations for tax-deduction purposes.

Keep the ideas coming! Everyone's thoughts and offers of support are appreciated!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 550

Shad, my sympathies to you and your family.

I grew up as a coach's brat so we were always involved in some sort of fundraiser or another for athletics...I've helped with raffles, golf tourneys, sporting clays, bird dog field trials, bbqs, auctions, etc...
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,104

i would say have a golf or fishing tournament i think that would draw the most people and donations from companys and sponsers. my godfather owns tony's seafood/louisiana fish fry products here in baton rouge so i can get them involved in it once you decide on what you want to do. if you do a fishing tournament i can get gary rispone from paradise louisiana to help spread the word and get sponsers and donations. i know he is goofy but with his name and his contacts i beleive it will only help to get money and donations for your organization. shad pm me and let me know. you have my full support. when my son was 6 months he started chemo that lasted for a year and a half. there was only 6 reported cases of this tumor in the history of medical. St. jude said that if any of my other children ever got it they would write a book on my son. thats how rare it was. now he is seven years old and after chemo and surgeries whats left of the tumor in his face is now in remission. so anyway what ever you need me to try and do i will defintely try!!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Well, I am a rep for an oilfield company in Lafayette, and of everything I do for events involving charity, clay shoots are the most profitable and easiest to pull off. I am on the board of the LA. Pipeliners Clay shoot, and assist on several others. We just held a fundraiser for the family of our old boss that was killed in a plane crash and raised about 18k. Now that was with a huge corporate showing from vendors that donated big time to our cause, so with good planning and getting the word out, you can come up w/ big bucks to make a difference. The problem with a golf tourney or fishing tourney is you are limited in participation monies. With a clay shoot, you charge $100/gun for the main event, then have fun events such as 5stand, snooker, long bird and so on for $20/head. The ego kicks in and guys start spending $100/$200 bucks to see who can hit the most. From the TOBI, to the AADE Golf tourney, clay shoots bring the "best bang for the buck".
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
Would one of you with experience in sporting clays fundraisers be willing to help out if we went that route? I'v e shot clays a few times, but I wouldn't know where to start in setting up a fundraiser event around it (e.g. Where, what dates, how to get the word out to the crowd that would be interested in attending, etc). Sounds interesting, though!

Good Clay shooting range around me and FFF area!!!! I would be glad to help!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

anyway i can help with any tupe of event i will donate time and effort. money is kinda hard ta come by with two kids. but i have a strong back and two strong hands that god has blessed me with and when you have any type of event they are both yours for however long. may god bless you and your family and i am sooo sorry for your loss. just know that you have alot of people here ta help in any way we can. god bless