SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

wheres his shop at in gueydan? I might go check them out next week. Do they have regular hours?

Mervis??????? Na, he keeps bankers hours Bob but Gueydan is not that big so he should not be far. Don't freak out if he opens an old brief case with calls and gives you one to try. All I could think of was "who might have had their mouth on the call I had in my mout". House is a couple miles east of Gueydan on the south side of the road and I think it is Saltzman Rd.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
wheres his shop at in gueydan? I might go check them out next week. Do they have regular hours?

Mervis??????? Na, he keeps bankers hours Bob but Gueydan is not that big so he should not be far. Don't freak out if he opens an old brief case with calls and gives you one to try. All I could think of was "who might have had their mouth on the call I had in my mout". House is a couple miles east of Gueydan on the south side of the road and I think it is Saltzman Rd.
whats the price range on them calls?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Sailfish

I think they are $50.00 don't quote me on that though.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
whats the price range on them calls?
Used to be $50 now I think they are $60 maybe even $70.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
So does Chein Caille. Go to the man's house in Gueydan and shoot the bull with him. He will make you one. Then you can try it out. If you want it changed, he will change it for you. Mervis Saltzman is his name and if he ain't around his son Kendall will make you one too. You can also watch the game and drink beer with him in his shop. It's a good time. Also guranteed forever. You split the reed, just get some beer and go see him again, he will make you a new reed and fix it right up. You want it to be easy to blow? He can do dat, he once made one for a guy with one lung.
I was hunting at Gueydan hunting club a few years ago and I was talking to one of the guides about how I didn't like how my chien caille was sounding. The guide told me," The guy that makes them only lives a few miles up the road. On your way out stop by and shoot the breeze with him and he will fix you up." Sure enough I went to his house, he trimmed on my reed, and got it sounding perfect. He even gave me a few tips on calling. I need to go see him again. My reed is cracked.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I was hunting at Gueydan hunting club a few years ago and I was talking to one of the guides about how I didn't like how my chien caille was sounding. The guide told me," The guy that makes them only lives a few miles up the road. On your way out stop by and shoot the breeze with him and he will fix you up." Sure enough I went to his house, he trimmed on my reed, and got it sounding perfect. He even gave me a few tips on calling. I need to go see him again. My reed is cracked.

Yup, he's da man.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Try them all out. Lately Sure Shot's work really well for me. They are cheap and if you find the right one they have a great tone. I went into Academy a few years ago and blew on 4 or 5 of them before I found the right one. Yuck, I know, but it worked for me. I had a P.S. Olt that worked really well it broke though. I have a Chien Caille, but you have to blow really hard to make the call cut. I miss a cluck every now due to that so it doesn't get used as much as my sure shot. I like the light clucks and Chien Caille is very loud. I actually traded a red Sure Shot specklebelly call for the Chien Caille. I kind of wish I hadn't now.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
Try them all out. Lately Sure Shot's work really well for me. They are cheap and if you find the right one they have a great tone. I went into Academy a few years ago and blew on 4 or 5 of them before I found the right one. Yuck, I know, but it worked for me. I had a P.S. Olt that worked really well it broke though. I have a Chien Caille, but you have to blow really hard to make the call cut. I miss a cluck every now due to that so it doesn't get used as much as my sure shot. I like the light clucks and Chien Caille is very loud. I actually traded a red Sure Shot specklebelly call for the Chien Caille. I kind of wish I hadn't now.

funny i do the same thing. an easy way to embarrass your girlfriend. its weird how 5 of the exact same calls can sound different
Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007
Default Best There Is

Love Em''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
heard they were good......
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Sailfish

Chein Caille is going to turn into the next Corky Craze
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Swordfish

Lafayette Shooter sells a Faulk's speck call for less than $20. IMO, it is the easiest speck call to blow. Very good call for beginners.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 645

Chien Caille, just get one.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Flounder

Cash: 657
Default Redbone vs. Chein Caille

I have both the Redbone and the Chein Caille and they are both great calls. I prefer my Chein Caille because I can go visit with Mervis and he can tune my call to my lung capacity. His calls are also about $150 cheaper than the Redbone. I like my Redbone call but I would have to go visit Nathan to get it right for my lungs. That man can really make a speck call sound good. Saying that, I think it is more the caller than the call that sounds good. He could pick up a Chein Caille, adjust it to his lungs and make it sound just as good as that Redbone. Bottom line is both calls are great and if you really want to learn how to call for competition, go see Nathan, but if you just want the geese to come into your spread, go see Mervis.

Saying all of that, I also agree with Specktator about the Faulks. If you are just beginning, it would be a good idea to pick one of those up and get used to it before you spend more money.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Default FYI

The original Chien Caille is the black one and is for the more experienced callers, but there is a red/rust colored one now, and it is for the beginner, much easier to use and does not require as much air.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
King Mackeral

Is the only place to get these calls in gueydan?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 645

I know they sell em' at Lafayette Shooters,Gulfway in Kaplan, or you could order one from Mack's Prarie Wings or from Chien Caille's web site.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty Hog View Post
I know they sell em' at Lafayette Shooters,Gulfway in Kaplan, or you could order one from Mack's Prarie Wings or from Chien Caille's web site.

thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I have both the Redbone and the Chein Caille and they are both great calls. I prefer my Chein Caille because I can go visit with Mervis and he can tune my call to my lung capacity. His calls are also about $150 cheaper than the Redbone. I like my Redbone call but I would have to go visit Nathan to get it right for my lungs. That man can really make a speck call sound good. Saying that, I think it is more the caller than the call that sounds good. He could pick up a Chein Caille, adjust it to his lungs and make it sound just as good as that Redbone. Bottom line is both calls are great and if you really want to learn how to call for competition, go see Nathan, but if you just want the geese to come into your spread, go see Mervis.

Saying all of that, I also agree with Specktator about the Faulks. If you are just beginning, it would be a good idea to pick one of those up and get used to it before you spend more money.
I just heard my first Chein Caille in the hands of a master today.
I have to agree with you that it's more the caller than the call.
It was like a concert in the blind, he made notes that I have never heard before and the specs responded well enough for a 5 person limit.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
I just heard my first Chein Caille in the hands of a master today.
I have to agree with you that it's more the caller than the call.
It was like a concert in the blind, he made notes that I have never heard before and the specs responded well enough for a 5 person limit.
Last Tues we hunted our lease and it was a prefect spec day. My lease partner brought a buddy of his that is a spec calling machine (he uses a Chein Caille). Well we ended up with our limit of specs (6). Before that day, we only had 1 spec for the season.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Last Tues we hunted our lease and it was a prefect spec day. My lease partner brought a buddy of his that is a spec calling machine (he uses a Chein Caille). Well we ended up with our limit of specs (6). Before that day, we only had 1 spec for the season.

Damn, ya'll want me to come call specks for ya'll?