SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 714
Default Thank Bobby Jindal

Don't if the is has been posted before but I just saw this and thought I'd share..

Jimmy

Thank Bobby Jindal....

[SIZE=1]This is an e-mail I received from CCA...
[/SIZE]

Catch Shares Pose Continued Risk

Recently, CCA asked the Gulf state governors to voice their concerns over a rapidly expanding federal program for managing fisheries called a catch-share program, and Gov. Jindal responded by joining with three other Gulf state governors on a letter to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke – click HERE to see a copy of this unprecedented letter. (For additional background information on catch shares, click HERE.)

The letter signed by Gov. Jindal and the other governors was a powerful gesture on behalf of recreational anglers, and it has already drawn an intense rebuttal from supporters of catch-share programs. In essence, they are trying to tell Gov. Jindal he made a mistake supporting private recreational anglers...people like you and me.

It is very important that we stand behind the governor now, just as he stood with us when he signed the letter. Please take a moment today to send Gov. Jindal a note thanking him for his leadership in signing the letter to Secretary Locke, and expressing your concern over ongoing efforts to privatize our marine resources.

Obviously this battle is far from over and we will need the continuing support of Gov. Jindal to prevent catch share programs from slowly squeezing the private boat recreational angler off the water. Please see the sample message provided at the link below and use the email address provided to tell Gov. Jindal thanks, and encourage him to stand firm against misguided catch share programs.

Thank you.

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/coastal38470548.aspx
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Banned

Wasn't CCA supporting the catch share program?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I read the letter. It is good to know Gov. Jindal is supporting recreational fisherman. I will contact his office tomorrow and thank them.

Iwould like to know the CCA position on this.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Jindal does good things like this, then throws the state under the bus on coastal restoration
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

In what way did he throw the state under the bus on coastal restoration? haven't heard of this yet...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Swordfish

check out the bayou lafourche water diversion project for one

he got concerned over 1 person getting upset because she didnt want equipment in her yard that he said ok well this is a project for the lafourche freshwater board.

who cant handle the size job that this would be
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Swordfish

everyone knows he is gonna run for pres, he needs to step down and let the state government work

he has been great and done great things, but he has really hurt us in some ways
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Tripletail

yak'em..could you link me to this?.. i cant find anything saying that jindal threw coastal restoration under the bus..
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Redfish

Default Read the letter!!!

Non-Jindal fans,

Did you take the time to read his letter?

Don't know about Jindal's personal confrontations but as a whole (Entire Gulf Coast) he's looking out for the recreaction fisherman in his letter...

Thanks Jindal I Say!

Jimmy
October 22, 2009
The Honorable Gary Locke
Secretary
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20230
Dear Secretary Locke:
As governors of Gulf Coast states, we are concerned at the direction and rapidity
in which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is moving to
implement “catch shares” programs for fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico. Our concerns
center on the potential negative impacts catch shares programs could have on our states’
economies, as well as how such programs could restrict citizens’ access to the fisheries
resources that should be shared by all.
While much emphasis is placed on the beneficial economic impact of commercial
fishing, it is important to keep in mind that recreational fishing generates some $24
billion to the economies of the Gulf States.
We understand that catch shares systems for resource management can be
effective when applied to purely commercial fisheries. However, we are concerned about
the impact catch shares could have when also applied to recreational fishers. The fisheries
being discussed in the Gulf of Mexico are managed jointly by the relevant coastal states
and the federal government. As such, the states and our citizens are partners in the
stewardship of these resources and the benefits of their use. Each of our states enjoys the
benefit of productive fishery resources, which generate significant recreation and seafood
revenues for our citizens. A healthy marine resource is vital to the local economies of
our coastal communities and is a significant contributor to the overall economy of each of
our states.
We have already seen negative impacts from the Gulf red snapper catch share
system and are concerned about negative impact from the pending program for Gulf
grouper. Creating an exclusive harvesting right for a small group of commercial
fishermen inherently marginalizes other users who do not have the same access
privileges. Those other users, recreational fishermen and commercial fishermen without
access rights, would be excluded. In purely commercial fisheries this effect can have
both economic and management benefits. But when applied in mixed-use fisheries,
recreational anglers are forced to focus their efforts in limited state waters or not
participate in the fishery at all. Neither of these outcomes is desirable.
Honorable Gary Locke
Page 2
Access and opportunity are the lifeblood of recreational fishing. Catch shares
limit accessibility for those who do not have an opportunity to participate. While this
does not create a problem when the resource is targeted exclusively by one segment, such
as commercial fishers, it squeezes out other users when applied to a mixed-use fishery.
We would like to be able to give assurances to our constituents that NOAA will not
attempt to extend catch shares policies to the recreational fishing sector.
It is also important to point out that each of our states has had great successes in
the management of recreational fisheries, and have never required limiting public access
to the resource through exclusive rights. In almost every case, the resource has enjoyed
great recovery while recreational fishing opportunities have actually been expanded.
We are concerned that in the desire to adopt and implement catch share systems
NOAA has forgotten its most fundamental responsibility under the Magnuson-Stevens
Fishery Conservation and Management Act—to maximize the net economic value from
the use of a public resource. Recreational fishing is an important activity in all of our
states, and one that we would like to see continue to grow as a healthy activity for the
public. However, we are concerned that NOAA policies could frustrate our ability to do
that.
We are confident that you, as a former Governor, understand our perspective. We
request that you allow each of the Gulf States to be able to protect its citizens’ access to
public fishery resources by allowing us to serve a key role in the decision process as to
which fisheries will have a catch share program, how those programs would be
structured, in determining the length of the subsidies in the program to the commercial
fishery and assuring proper allocation of the resource in advance of implementing any
catch share program.
We look forward to working with you to find a system that will balance your
goals for catch share systems with the needs of our citizens.
Sincerely,
Governor Rick Perry Governor Bobby Jindal
State of Texas State of Louisiana
Governor Haley Barbour Governor Bob Riley
State of Mississippi State of Alabama
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Swordfish

I am a jindal fan trust me, he just has made some decisions that have not been in the best interest of the state, he is still my governor and would make a great president.

I dont have a link but I have studied the situation in my coastal law class
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Tripletail

i'm not questioning your jindal allegiance..however i do question what is being taught in college by eco-nazi liberal professors.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
i'm not questioning your jindal allegiance..however i do question what is being taught in college by eco-nazi liberal professors.
Me Too!

Jimmy
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Swordfish

by turning the project over to the lafourche fresh water board, he insured that the project will basically not happen.

I agree the professors of this class are liberal idiots, but seeing things like this happen just really ticks me off.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
Thankfully up here at ULM there is not too many of them... Ive only had one since ive been here
Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Swordfish

one is a law doctor, the other is the vp of the Audubon society.

hadnt had one until i got into this law class