SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393
Default Corn + diesel = Bacon

Goin bait up my hog trap right now. I had always heard to soak the corn in diesel to keep the coons and deer out of the trap. I did a little research online and see a lot of mixed opinions. Some say they love it. Some say they won't touch it. Anyone have any personal experience trying it? These hogs also have gotten real trap smart. They'll eat up to the door and not go in. I've let em rest for 2 years now kinda let the brush naturally grow up and camo it. Any tips on trying to get em in besides building one of those big round pens? I'm gonna go bait it now with the diesel soaked corn and leave the trap open for a week before setting it. I'm looking for other alternatives also snares or something along that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I went to a ranch in west Texas one time and he had the same theory bout soaking in diesel to keep the deer off it. So next morning I eased up on his hog trap(big octogon shaped pen) and there were 8 deer standing inside eating his diesel corn.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I went to a ranch in west Texas one time and he had the same theory bout soaking in diesel to keep the deer off it. So next morning I eased up on his hog trap(big octogon shaped pen) and there were 8 deer standing inside eating his diesel corn.
about right
Old 02-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

have spent a little time with some professionals and the diesel soaked corn is something they used as well as corn or wheat soaked in water with a couple packs of koolaid in it. Let it set for a couple weeks in the sun and its ready (aweful smelling stuff). Another had to trap beavers and pigs on a piece of property and he went after the beavers first so he could use the carcass for pig bait (said it works wonders). Fish heads and guts works very well and don't have to worry about deer getting in there. Trapping has come a long ways and the best way to catch the entire sounder is with the trail camera that gives you a video to your phone and you can watch them go in the trap and when they all get in there, you can trigger the trap door with your phone. Before those triggers, the trappers would let the bait set in there and leave the gates open for a few days like you are saying before setting the trap to let them get used to it. The area we were in had bears so couldn't use snares, but the trapper said that a lot of times when some pigs are caught in the trap, the others kinda walk around the trap and you can put snares out and catch a few more that way.

You are right they are pretty smart critters, good luck kill em all
Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

I've done some more research. Looks like you have to soak in the diesel for a couple days also. I just poured some diesel on top of it in a five gallon bucket. I'm gonna sneak in there Tuesday around noon and if it needs more I'll have some soaked already. In the past I've mainly had trouble with the coons. The deer have so much browse in the summer that I don't have to worry about them. That piece is absolutely over run with pigs. You would think as many are out there it would be east to catch a couple. During deer season. I'll get pictures all night long. I'll sit for weeks while deer hunting and not see a one during day light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

one thing we used was post hole diggers to keep the pigs around . dig as deep as you can and just poor the hole full of corn. the dampness in the hole will sour the corn and you don't need to worry about crows, deer, and other critters that wont go in the hole. The pigs will stay there and dig all the way to the bottom to get the last kernel . might take them several days but they aint leaving that soured corn. im sure it would help around traps but we always used it around stands for bow and deer hunting.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

We always soaked the corn in beer. Might have been a waste of beer but we killed and trapped a lot of pigs.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705
Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
We always soaked the corn in beer. Might have been a waste of beer but we killed and trapped a lot of pigs.
Pineapple juice works well also and is cheaper than beer.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I have been told if you use the mash after the final run it works really good.

All you really need is sugar and water to sour corn.
You can also add yeast if you want it extra sour.
I have also bought used cheep box wine when it is on sale.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,045

Diesel seems to be the ticket, I was catching more deer than pigs for a while and I'm having the same problems as you. the pigs eat as far into the trap as possible without going in but what helped is that I quit putting bait outside the trap and just putting it inside then I noticed that they circle the trap trying to reach what they can but I fixed them, I set a snare on the outside of the trap and rained on their parade. Hard tobeat a wild pig brown gravy!!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329

We bought a Jager Pro pig trap. Works really well. It's a round pin with a gate that is triggered from your phone via the wireless trail camera.