SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986
Default Gueydan DUCK festival speck contest

Tomorrow is the duck festival contests in Gueydan

The last 2 contests are the Louisiana state speck and Gueydan open speck

If you want to hear some top shelf calling,there will be some good callers competing
Old 08-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Trust me, this blind is no different than 90% of the other blinds in Whiteville. He's on a levee between two crawfish ponds on a big rice farm. Granted, there is a lot of geese that fly over, but thy fly over many of the other blinds just the same.

I know its not just because of the chien caille, but i guess the point i was trying to make is you can go buy a decently priced chien caille and killed just as many birds as a redbone or another 200 dollar call.

All BS aside, all he does is constant clucks, NO FANCY CALLING
Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Guaranteed if he came to my place and he clucked the geese would laugh. You need to be on your game at my place.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Flounder

Cash: 668

Truer words have never been spoken JP...
Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I'll post a sound file or something when it comes in for some help. Didn't think I'd get this much feedback. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Flounder

I agree with the clucking not always working

There are times were I hunt that clucking will flare them because they hear the same thing out of the 10 other adjacent blinds

Best option for me,mimic the bird with yodel---two or three note

Or uka-uk if you are able to execute that
Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Two comments. The first is listen to John. The second is to listen to John.

Seriously, I hunt the area around Bunkie and like SW LA there are fields that the specks prefer and if you have a blind in those fields you have to work really hard to keep them from coming in. I would almost guarantee that if your friend switched blinds or fields he would find out that his blind or field is one of those.

You can't compare calling specks at my blind around Bunkie with my blinds around Thornwell and Welsh because of the intense pressure the specks are under in SW LA. Part of that pressure is that there are a lot of really good speck callers that hunt almost daily in SW LA. There just aren't as many hardcore speck hunters or expert callers in other areas of the state. Honestly, I hope my neighbors on my farm call at the specks there because their calling keeps the specks from coming toward them and makes my calling sound more realistic to those specks.

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hutch View Post
Two comments. The first is listen to John. The second is to listen to John.

Seriously, I hunt the area around Bunkie and like SW LA there are fields that the specks prefer and if you have a blind in those fields you have to work really hard to keep them from coming in. I would almost guarantee that if your friend switched blinds or fields he would find out that his blind or field is one of those.

You can't compare calling specks at my blind around Bunkie with my blinds around Thornwell and Welsh because of the intense pressure the specks are under in SW LA. Part of that pressure is that there are a lot of really good speck callers that hunt almost daily in SW LA. There just aren't as many hardcore speck hunters or expert callers in other areas of the state. Honestly, I hope my neighbors on my farm call at the specks there because their calling keeps the specks from coming toward them and makes my calling sound more realistic to those specks.

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Makes sense to me. Got my rcc in yesterday. Sounds pretty good, but no better than my cheap banded poly I had. Then again, I'm not a goose.. Much easier to blow though.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Makes sense to me. Got my rcc in yesterday. Sounds pretty good, but no better than my cheap banded poly I had. Then again, I'm not a goose.. Much easier to blow though.
Like I mentioned on an earlier post in your thread, you should of spent the extra 100 buck for the acrylic call.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Flounder

In the event that you have one really good note shape---in my opinion it is better to use a LOT of that note shape in the blind with periods of silence between making that really good two or three note yodel,then throw sound at them that is only kind of right

You have to watch reaction too---I know pretty early on in a hunt when something is not going to work on a given day,even if the bird is hot and vocal,if they are not breaking,i switch to something else OR if I get an initial break and the birds go stale---that 60-80 yard circle and circle and not drop---time to switch sounds

I view it as having to be mentally strong too,because they are very tough,especially in high pressure areas. They will break a man's confidence,but it is like fishing sometimes,one must keep throwing and throwing and sooner or later you will get a bite

Last edited by redleg one; 09-01-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Tripletail

I think I have the 2 & 3 note yodel down fairly well with variations. Clucks as well, but that double cluck is IMPOSSIBLE to me lol. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in field blinds listening to live birds to see what they actually sound like on the ground. Although last year I had some land in an adjacent field and heard the double cluck from live birds. Always thought that was kind of just a show off thing like the super fast feeding call is to ducks, guess not. In yalls opinion does it need to have a little rasp or should it be crisp? And I know the acrylic would have been better but I set a limit at 100 doll hairs lol. Once I kill more than a hand full a season or get a field blind I'll go buy one of every brand lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Not arguing with you guys, but hes been hunting this blind for five years. he just learned how to call and started really killing geese the last two seasons. The three before he would kill a handful. I'm no expert, its just what i see and what he tells me. Its not that the geese "want" to come in there. The geese fly over this blind just as i have seen them fly over many others that i have hunted.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Flounder

In my opinion,

Every bird has voice---whether high or low in pitch---"people" including me at one time,thought there were clear yodels from geese and raspy yodels from geese---but after studying live yodels---what I thought was "clear" still had voice---just at a much higher pitch and sharp---they seem clear and high from far away,but they still have voice

Listen the next time you call in a single and he passes over when close and lets out a yodel overhead---you think,wow,there is rasp in that sound,he sounds dirty

So,learning how to put voice into your calling can be beneficial

as far as double clucking---yes,nice to be able to do to add urgency to plea on birds that wont break,BUT good solid single clucking done from low to high then back to low in one little "hill" can be very effective---the KEY is to go back down the hill after hitting the peak---if you cluck up and stay up and stop---VERY close to alarm sound---take home point---let the sound of the cluck run back down---ramp it up,but always let back down
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasper Master View Post
Not arguing with you guys, but hes been hunting this blind for five years. he just learned how to call and started really killing geese the last two seasons. The three before he would kill a handful. I'm no expert, its just what i see and what he tells me. Its not that the geese "want" to come in there. The geese fly over this blind just as i have seen them fly over many others that i have hunted.

If he would kill a few geese without being able to call, then it's a good blind. I used to hunt across the interstate from whiteville, and can count on 1 hand the number of times I killed geese out of my blind. I'm by no means a great caller, but I'm not terrible either. . And plenty of geese flew over that blind every day of the season. Just my opinion.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg one View Post
In my opinion,

Every bird has voice---whether high or low in pitch---"people" including me at one time,thought there were clear yodels from geese and raspy yodels from geese---but after studying live yodels---what I thought was "clear" still had voice---just at a much higher pitch and sharp---they seem clear and high from far away,but they still have voice

Listen the next time you call in a single and he passes over when close and lets out a yodel overhead---you think,wow,there is rasp in that sound,he sounds dirty

So,learning how to put voice into your calling can be beneficial

as far as double clucking---yes,nice to be able to do to add urgency to plea on birds that wont break,BUT good solid single clucking done from low to high then back to low in one little "hill" can be very effective---the KEY is to go back down the hill after hitting the peak---if you cluck up and stay up and stop---VERY close to alarm sound---take home point---let the sound of the cluck run back down---ramp it up,but always let back down
Thanks, good to know. Any thoughts on throwing in yodels or growls while clucking or is it best to clearly separate them and focus on coming back down the "hill" with the clucks?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Flounder

The layered sound is very effective although taking a significant skill set to accomplish

My opinion is this,how many times while hunting,does a hunter who is doing a cluck run at a bird or birds have them fire back yodels while you are clucking

The ability to answer the yodel while clucking is like "buying insurance" on getting full commitment

But,as many veteran speck hunters well know,there are NO guarantees with specks

If someone says this "always" works---proceed with caution

A man better have a "blind bag" of sounds to consistently kill specks---and this is down on the list below concealment,decoys,field prep,under a flight of some sort
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Two callers is way better than one caller in my experience. and three is a little better than two. I'm pretty sure I limited every time last year with 2+ callers and maybe 50% of the time with just me.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
Two callers is way better than one caller in my experience. and three is a little better than two. I'm pretty sure I limited every time last year with 2+ callers and maybe 50% of the time with just me.
I disagree
Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post

One caller has worked better in my experience too
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

IMO it all depends on what part of the season you are hunting. The first split I will set up up to 4 dozen full bodies. When I have that many decoys out I find its a little better if there is maybe one or two guys clucking and one guy on the call. By the end of the season when when I am setting out 3 to 5 decoys there's only one person calling. As far as what to blow at them its a three note yodel until I get their attention. Once they are interested I lock in on the loudest bird in the flock and just respond to his call trying to mimic what he is calling. You just need to convince one of them to come in usually. When I get more than one flock working I shut up until they settle down a little then I just start clucking softly.

There's a guy down the road from me that has a guide service. He sets out 4000 rags and 500 full bodies every morning. He usually has 4 or 5 guides and 8 to 10 hunters in the middle of the spread. All of his guides do is cluck and he is the only one calling.

The most important thing in my opinion is establishing a dialogue with one bird and convincing him. It takes the guess work out of it.

Callling is the easy part, its all the other stuff that flares the birds. Improper decoy layout, keeping everyone in the blind still and not looking at the birds, staying hidden yourself and not echoing the call in the blind, shooting too early are the things it takes a while to get the hang off. They always look so much closer when you are crouched down in the ground.