SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 764
Question Killing big fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
make it 1 fish IMO.....why do you need a stringer of big fish? Can't talk about trying to conserve the big ones and do a 3 or 5 fish stringer IMO.
Just wondering, how many fish do you think the star tourney kills every year?

How many yoyo's without a scale bring in 4 and 5 lb trout because they thought it was a 8 lber.

I am quite sure someone could make the arguement that 10 times the amount of fish are killed every year in the star than compared to any other tourney, not just in big lake but all over the state.

Is that what you call conservation?

Does this make CCA an oxymoron?

Just to clarify this is not me bashing the CCA, personally I like what CCA stands for, but practice what you preach!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

my .02..... if you ***** enough, your just *****ing... if you dont like to kill big fish, put them in my cooler, i'll kill 'em. I fish for the meat... I only fish a double handful of times per year. Until you start paying my boat insurance/bill, fuel bill, and buying my tackle, then i'll release 8lb trout. Til then... **** off !!!

Not meaning this towards anyone.... just saying

Done ranting...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
my .02..... if you ***** enough, your just *****ing... if you dont like to kill big fish, put them in my cooler, i'll kill 'em. I fish for the meat... I only fish a double handful of times per year. Until you start paying my boat insurance/bill, fuel bill, and buying my tackle, then i'll release 8lb trout. Til then... **** off !!!

Done ranting...
Yea, what he said!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Far Too many! BUT.....CCA finally this year, thanks to many in LC area, is instituting a catch & release format for trout for STAR only on Big Lake

.....and thanks to me, CCA adopted catch & release for the trout shoot out about 5 years ago, which at the time, wasn't a very popular move.

And we know you aren't bashing CCA, but me, but its ok, I can take it. My conservative ways don't go over too well on this board.

And as far as the yo-yos that think a 4 lber is an 8, that will never change. You have trophy hunters who know the difference and will always have some who don't know any better.

I don't knock them, its their fish they caught and its their choice of what to do with it. It is our responsibility as an organization (CCA) to give the angler the option if they want to keep it alive to fight another day.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Far Too many! BUT.....CCA finally this year, thanks to many in LC area, is instituting a catch & release format for trout for STAR only on Big Lake

.....and thanks to me, CCA adopted catch & release for the trout shoot out about 5 years ago, which at the time, wasn't a very popular move.

And we know you aren't bashing CCA, but me, but its ok, I can take it. My conservative ways don't go over too well on this board.

And as far as the yo-yos that think a 4 lber is an 8, that will never change. You have trophy hunters who know the difference and will always have some who don't know any better.

I don't knock them, its their fish they caught and its their choice of what to do with it. It is our responsibility as an organization (CCA) to give the angler the option if they want to keep it alive to fight another day.
2 things:

#1) I am not bashing you are the orginazation, so quit feeling sorry for yourself. I support the CCA and you, but do not act like these little tourneys we hold are any worse than the star.

#2) You say it is your responsibility to give the angler the option, I am confused, didn't you just complain about us having a tourney in big lake because it is killing all the big fish?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 736
Default lot of fished released

Also, the past three years I have fished the Trout Shootout the majority of the fish that were brought were alive! very surprising.

Especially last year I believe 6 or 7 of the top ten fish were released. That tourney REWARDS anglers for live trout brought in and weighed alive. This is a conservation based tourney-to raise money for our estuary, very good cause.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

These CCA bashing threads are retarted. This is a CCA bashing thread I can read.

Let me ask you 1 question WHO ELSE IS LOBBYING AND SPEAKING FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE FISHERMAN?

Why dont you try to help the cause in a constructive manner instead of demonizing its efforts?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

when i catch fish and im hungry ill keep em , if someone ( family or friends) asks me to keep em for them cuz they dont have any sure ill keep them . i always used to keep a freeze full then i noticed by june i would still have fish from the previous july and that was with me giving away the majority i catch as well as eating a ton of fish. so for me i try throw it back if its not gonna get eatin by that week by me or who ever i give it to. as far as the big fish thing to me big trout and reds dont taste as good as the 12-14 and 16-18in reds so i try to throw em back but if you are fishing with me and wanna keep it , hey thats all on you im not here topoint the finger. sure i have fish mounted on the wall , if i catch a 9lb trout will i eat it no way , will it mount it prolly not id just get a replica made. im no bioligst but the thing ive heard is them 8-9 lb trout are on their last leg that not always but the fight of being caught messes w them bigens, that most dont live much longer, knowing this will that stop me from throwing it back? no . but like i said this is me and i dont look down on anyone who is within thier legal limits , that is your right .
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

4-7 lbs I'll turn loose. How bout that?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Great White

I'm keeping 'em from 12"----39"
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I'm keeping 'em from 12"----39"
Now thats what I am talking about.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

But I have never caught one over 4 lbs in big lake in my life!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

Pass da popcorn. Its gettin good.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Great White

This is a pointless conversation. Let the ****ing angler make the decision. If he wants to keep a 8" trout, let him. Starting to sound like a buncha elementary school kids. Go plant a garden or something!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Remember this famous comment "You will never "FISH OUT" Big Lake with a rod n reel!"
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

i will eat em all...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Remember this famous comment "You will never "FISH OUT" Big Lake with a rod n reel!"
Who said this. Please. Tell us. Thank you asr
Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Great White

Ohhhhh I know I know !!!!!! Pick me, pick me !
Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

It all boils down to the angler........STAR or NO STAR........... The person who thinks a 4 or 5lber is a 8...Would of keep that fish anyway....
Like this last Wed..... Guy I know very well...he does not saltwater fish that much, pulls up to the landing while Im leaving...I ask how he did,,, Guys says we caught a few reds and one huge speck about 7 or 8lbs........ Now Im like Damn I have to see this one.... I grab my Boga and walk to his boat..........Flip the lid and almost piss my self *****..... I told him I will weight it but its no 7 or 8... Maybe 3 best 4...... Boga put it at 4lbs even...... Like I said if a yo yo catches a big fish they will keep it...its there nature
Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I will weight it but its no 7 or 8... Maybe 3 best 4...... Boga put it at 4lbs even...... Like I said if a yo yo catches a big fish they will keep it...its there nature

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gonna_get_raped_catb.jpg (38.6 KB, 183 views)