SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917
Default Question about GPS/fish finder

Not sure where to post this... last year I picked up a Lowrance Elite 5 Dsi when west marine had them on sale...I'm just now getting around to installing it but I have a question.

Is it possible to run it mounted in two locations?
I'd like to mount it on my console without a transducer and use it only for GPS, then have another mount for it up front with the transducer installed and use it for both gps and fish finder.
Can I make this happen or will not having the transducer plugged in cause issues?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Shouldn't cause issues

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

the only issue I see is the power supply is built into the wiring for the transducer so you will at least need an old transducer wire for this connection so maybe find someone with a bad transducer they can give you for this connection
Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks yall, Keakar I just pulled everything out and looked at the wiring, thats definitely gonna be an issue. I may just have to order another transducer or just keep the gps console only...I only bought it for gps in the first place but with its fish finding capabilities I'd also like to use it while trolling...not that its gonna make a huge difference fishing saltwater.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Red Snapper

for the record I did some searching and found a "hardwire cable" its in the 30$ price range if anyone needs to know for future reference.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

Bdub,

I'm not sure what kind of boat you have or where the unit will be mounted at the console, but, I have my sonar/gps unit mounted on a ram mount on top of my console and when I'm fishing off the front of the boat I just loosen the ram mount and turn it around, facing the front. I have a 20' boat and the the unit is only about 6-8' from me when I'm using the trolling motor and I can see the screen very clearly. I never bothered to mount my other unit on the front.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
Bdub,

I'm not sure what kind of boat you have or where the unit will be mounted at the console, but, I have my sonar/gps unit mounted on a ram mount on top of my console and when I'm fishing off the front of the boat I just loosen the ram mount and turn it around, facing the front. I have a 20' boat and the the unit is only about 6-8' from me when I'm using the trolling motor and I can see the screen very clearly. I never bothered to mount my other unit on the front.
I do the same but the mount didn't swivel easy so I mounted it to a flat aluminum plate and ran a bolt through the plate and dash with a 2" pvc cap and drilled a hole in the center and it works well for a swivel mast that allows it to swivel easily yet be solidly mounted so its not loose. you just don't want to over tighten the bolt so use a lock nut and tighten it until you have the desired movement resistance.

but with this type of mounting you cant have a windscreen or it blocks your view
Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

very good ideas