SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514
Cry Gar have me sooooooo depressed !

Well ok I went down to da vermilion today. Was running from da old ladys. Took a extra dose of meds to do this. And I started out like always Cain poll and worms from backyard . Cought my perch for bait then moterd to my gar spot.
Thats when it started down hill. I hooked up on a six footer. Jus about broke poll. He was hooked on the underside of the Niddle nose and fought for a while he jumped and did tail dances was real cool. Got gaff out when leader hit spool and gaffes him. Big mistake he exploded not in a good way. Hook got pulled and he flipped off gaff I fell over in gust the right direction so I got a second shot with gaff and stuck him again. Lordy dat guy went berserk flipped off gaff again and torpedoed away. I saw him 4 more times and he seemed to recover.

I rebated and cought a cat with one of my last two perch. Da bugger swallowed it hole. So I cut him open an saved my live bate and tossed um in .i hooked up again with two more got one to boat and lost the other 30 seconds into fight.
Ran out of bate so went back to da worms.

Went back to spot with two more perch. Hooked up again on both perch and lost both fish. All the gar were 5 pluss feet long one six or more eye was 3 inch and wale big.

I also missed a cat fish 3 foot long and bigger than pooyie moms dog. Big.

So this is the deal how I hook one dem needle nose gar and get um in boat. You see I'm soo p- oed I can't sit still I missed about 40 foot of gar meat.

I got 12 foot 125 lb leaders and 6/0 salt water hooks .i even riged a trail hook flopping around no bate about 2 inch below bate.

I do know I need a gaff with barb and about 6 inch tip to shank the one I get now is 4 inch no barb.

Gee I'm so pissed so what I do can you guys help.

My second year doing the gar and last year was a fail too nothing above 3 foot long.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Try using a big treble hook next time.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,338

Try useing a slightly smaller but a treble instead and let em run about 2 minutes before setting the hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Yea use trebles and let them run with it then when they stop that means they swallowing it as soon as the take I'd that second time haul back and stick em I miss very very few this way mostly fish for alligator gar though but needles do the same
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks guys I did tremble last year. I even devised a hoop with hook inside. Man the needle nose are hard. I even thought about useing golden orb or bandanna spider silk but I would need a steroid to put um on to hold These monsters.i used 80 lb wire too broke them.im just getting no ware . I tryed the wait and hook but they seem to chew bait to bits before eating and I never get a swallow.

Last year I spent about 145$ on gear. They don't hang out for long and only under drain conditions after soakers flush bait out. They hang out chewing cud till flow drops off.i have literally gotten bait back looking like a mince grinder rolled it.

They causing me some real hatefully depression. And costing some real money with no meat.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I use 2 single hooks rigged back to back on a leader. When the gar takes it, let him run. He will stop and swallow the bait. When he takes off again, set the hook. I use about an 8-10" mullet and feed the leader into mouth and out tail with wire. When mullet is down on the hooks you have one coming out both sides of its mouth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890
Default gar

Ever tried going to a fish market instead of spending all that money on rig up?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

Depending on where you are at.....22 pistol when you get em to the boat. Next best thing is a square head hatchet with that square edge in the brain when you get em up and close to the boat..........then gaff em. They will go beserk everytime you try to gaff em without knocking em out. O yeah, after you get em in the boat, use that hatchet and chop the spinal cord right behind the head. They will be out cold then, won't beat up you in your boat.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
Ever tried going to a fish market instead of spending all that money on rig up?
There is something about seeing a 100 lb gar mouth open teeth sparkling as I skates on its tail right next to u in your boat on the river. Something u just don't get from the market.

If u don't understand this u don't fish and will never be in touch with the world u live in.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Silver View Post
Depending on where you are at.....22 pistol when you get em to the boat. Next best thing is a square head hatchet with that square edge in the brain when you get em up and close to the boat..........then gaff em. They will go beserk everytime you try to gaff em without knocking em out. O yeah, after you get em in the boat, use that hatchet and chop the spinal cord right behind the head. They will be out cold then, won't beat up you in your boat.
Yep I would be arrested for domestic terrorism in Lafayette .

I'm hopeing a bigger gaff with barb and a well placed shot will get it next time.
I will sharpen the thing to surgeons standards . And ame for the soft throte and base of head. And yep the needle nose has teeth you get hit with when mouth is closed.so it is a wreck in the boat.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Why would you get arrested for domestic terrorism for knock a fish out with a hatchet?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Why would you get arrested for domestic terrorism for knock a fish out with a hatchet?
I was refusing to the 22 idea.

I think I got it solved. I'm a get a harpoon no more gaff. Might make one from bar stock. It's the best idea for when they get to boat.

Now I gust need to work on getting more of um to boat.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
I was refusing to the 22 idea.

I think I got it solved. I'm a get a harpoon no more gaff. Might make one from bar stock. It's the best idea for when they get to boat.

Now I gust need to work on getting more of um to boat.
try a bow and arrow like they do bowfishing.. just if you are by yourself that probably won't work out