SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 529
Default This Sucks

I just don't know how to fish. My rigs cannot be set up correctly, I don't know where to fish. I can't stand getting so excited to go fishing and get out there and have no idea where to fish.

I fish trees and stumps, overhanging branches from the bank, bridges and nothing.

I'd like to find a spot where I at least put a FEW fish in the boat. I'm not asking to limit out on Sacalait or bass or bream, but one damned fish would be nice.

I live in Lafayette so I'm trying to find a decent spot to catch around here. Anyone fish the area around Lafayette? I wouldn't mind someone to go fishing with who knows how to do it.

Granted I'm a newbie and I'm used to fishing off the bank or jug-lining or bush-lining or even catfishing which is so easy to let the bait sit on the bottom.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,338

I hear the park ponds around laffyette can be pretty good but I know it can be tough but keep at it man it only comes with experience, if you wana drive to eunice you can tag along wit me If I have room or I got a few great ponds around here if ya want I can teach ya a lot in a pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728
Default This Sucks

X2 on the pond fishing. There's a lot to be learned fishing in a good pond. I've got some good ones around here too. About 15 minutes north of Eunice.

I've been bass fishing since I was little and in still learning a lot fishing ponds. Learning new baits and presentations and everything.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Yea x2 to ALH I've seen his pics from the ponds he fishes lol but yea it's the best place to start out trial and error

Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks guys, maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow or Sunday. There is a small pond near the airport but I'm not sure if there are any fish in there lol I appreciate the invite Sledge........If I'm ever around there or have some spare time I'll give you a holler.

It was just frustrating getting out there. My fishing buddy cancelled late last night, got to the landing late, water was super low, got stuck, motor quit pissing, no bites, just an overall bad day on the water.

I'm not asking to catch 100 fish every time I'm out there, or even limit out on bass or sacalait, but some bites would be nice to know I'm doing something right, ya know?

I'd rather lose 50 fish on my line and know I'm hittin good spots or have the right setup, than have no bites and assume I'm doing it right.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRE View Post
Thanks guys, maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow or Sunday. There is a small pond near the airport but I'm not sure if there are any fish in there lol I appreciate the invite Sledge........If I'm ever around there or have some spare time I'll give you a holler.

It was just frustrating getting out there. My fishing buddy cancelled late last night, got to the landing late, water was super low, got stuck, motor quit pissing, no bites, just an overall bad day on the water.

I'm not asking to catch 100 fish every time I'm out there, or even limit out on bass or sacalait, but some bites would be nice to know I'm doing something right, ya know?

I'd rather lose 50 fish on my line and know I'm hittin good spots or have the right setup, than have no bites and assume I'm doing it right.

Oh so you have a boat? This changes things. 😏 lol

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Oh so you have a boat? This changes things. 😏 lol

:*****:Yes sir lol 18' Skeeter w/ a 175 Merc..........wheeeeeeeee hawwwwwww

That's why it's so frustrating lol I can pretty much go anywhere, except for shallow water.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 PM
King Mackeral

lol. Nice boat.

Well like ole sledge said, you ever get up in this end I'm pretty sure one of us can out you on some fish.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Flounder

Cash: 549

What baits are you using? Where are you fishing?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Find a few baits the people are catching on, launch your boat and put your trolling motor down instead of starting your big motor. .... This is hard for most guys including myself but think about all the fish that people put back in the water at the launch before leaving. I have a buddy that always starts like this and always catches fish.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Redfish

Cash: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRE View Post

It could have been worse!!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
What baits are you using? Where are you fishing?
I am using spinner baits, top-water crank baits, worms, tube jigs, lizards, minnows (gulp).

Fishing mainly Lake Catahoula and tried Dauterive this weekend. Water was WAY too shallow.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Find a few baits the people are catching on, launch your boat and put your trolling motor down instead of starting your big motor. .... This is hard for most guys including myself but think about all the fish that people put back in the water at the launch before leaving. I have a buddy that always starts like this and always catches fish.
Weedeater,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give anything a shot now. Nothing seems too far fetched after Friday's debacle.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

I fish Henderson when I get to go fishing. Used to be like you and hardly catch anything. Caught up to a guy loading the boat with bass and couldn't help myself, trolled up and asked. He was using deep diving crank baits. I would have never tried them there. The water was only 5-7 feet. Now I don't leave without some in different colors. Just try to have two in each color because you will loose some. Shad, firetiger, craw dad, chartreuse and such. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcckc2002 View Post
I fish Henderson when I get to go fishing. Used to be like you and hardly catch anything. Caught up to a guy loading the boat with bass and couldn't help myself, trolled up and asked. He was using deep diving crank baits. I would have never tried them there. The water was only 5-7 feet. Now I don't leave without some in different colors. Just try to have two in each color because you will loose some. Shad, firetiger, craw dad, chartreuse and such. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll definitely give those a shot. My brother-in-law swears by spinner baits in Henderson.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 549

I have only caught bass in South Louisiana with some crankbaits and senko worms. The senkos on a Texas rig in the grassy areas seem to work great for me.