SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174
Default Oklahoma duck hunting

Guys that have been or know the area what part of the state do you prefer? Do not need specific spots lord knows every state has enough pressure already. I like the water and look of the north east part of the state
Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

The Ft. Cobb area is a great area. Most of the guides in OK lease and hunt lots of property and follow the birds around. The geese destroy the wheat fields so the farmers want them gone! A buddy of mine up there went with a guide in the Tulsa area a few weeks ago and smashed the green heads 3 days in a row. That state is full of good duck and goose hunting. Its funny though, up there they get excited when “white” geese come in. It’s mostly Canadaian geese up there.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Roger that BJ. It's crazy how the east side is water and trees while the west is mostly agriculture
Old 02-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 416

I live in North central Oklahoma. Duck hunted for years around here. They normally plant millet on the lakes but this year they didn't get the grant for it. It's not uncommon for several hundred thousand ducks to be on the local lake. And as far as goose hunting goes there is a power plant lake 30 miles south of me that holds all the geese and ducks a guy would want. Like everywhere else the pressure is strong and it's a battle getting permission to hunt. If they plant millet next year and it doesn't get flooded then I would look at going. Fyi the lake I am referring to is Kaw Lake
Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I have lived in all parts of the state, born and raised in Kingfisher, Stillwater, then Pryor before leaving to the Navy.
Depends what you want, if Geese, they have special seasons as they raid golf courses and they hate them and they are thick. Never seen the ducks in the northeast as much as west and north central.
We always had a pond so never had a prob getting ducks.
The Texas panhandle is full of geese and can also get some Sandhills. The conservation order is also fun.
A high school buddy who is a fireman in Stillwater, his son is one heck of a hunter and does some hunts also, he smoke the birds every year.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

In the west part of the state is where most of the dry field hunting takes place. The east side is more pond hunting from what I understand. I've only hunted the sw part of the state. It was a lot of fun
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91baja View Post
I live in North central Oklahoma. Duck hunted for years around here. They normally plant millet on the lakes but this year they didn't get the grant for it. It's not uncommon for several hundred thousand ducks to be on the local lake. And as far as goose hunting goes there is a power plant lake 30 miles south of me that holds all the geese and ducks a guy would want. Like everywhere else the pressure is strong and it's a battle getting permission to hunt. If they plant millet next year and it doesn't get flooded then I would look at going. Fyi the lake I am referring to is Kaw Lake
Welcome to the site. I have been looking all over the state the last two weekend and I found some land I really liked up near the Salt Plains WMA. The land is about 10 miles east of there on the Salt Fork river with river frontage. North of Endid (spelling sorry). The river was holding some mallards when I went.

Man people in Oklahoma are friendly, very polite.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
I have lived in all parts of the state, born and raised in Kingfisher, Stillwater, then Pryor before leaving to the Navy.
Depends what you want, if Geese, they have special seasons as they raid golf courses and they hate them and they are thick. Never seen the ducks in the northeast as much as west and north central.
We always had a pond so never had a prob getting ducks.
The Texas panhandle is full of geese and can also get some Sandhills. The conservation order is also fun.
A high school buddy who is a fireman in Stillwater, his son is one heck of a hunter and does some hunts also, he smoke the birds every year.
North central I think is the area I am focused on. Far west was to try and flat for me. I love the east part of the state but I haven't heard as many good reports on ducks in that area. Poor southwest the drought is so bad it's tough
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
In the west part of the state is where most of the dry field hunting takes place. The east side is more pond hunting from what I understand. I've only hunted the sw part of the state. It was a lot of fun
You were by Lawton with goose reapers right? They kill birds for sure.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
You were by Lawton with goose reapers right? They kill birds for sure.

Yeah we were west of Lawton. We covered a lot of ground. Altus was kind of the central town where we where. They have a bunch of places near Lawton they hunt too.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Great White

Default Oklahoma duck hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Welcome to the site. I have been looking all over the state the last two weekend and I found some land I really liked up near the Salt Plains WMA. The land is about 10 miles east of there on the Salt Fork river with river frontage. North of Endid (spelling sorry). The river was holding some mallards when I went.

Man people in Oklahoma are friendly, very polite.

My brother in laws boss owns some land up there near the salt plains they wax the mallards. If the land is near a feed lot that's a good thing because the ducks feed on the corn in the feedlots and then fly back to the river to get water is what they tell me. They are just north of Cherokee.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Site Owner/Admin

I'm would be east of there Meaux between the Salt plains and Kaw