SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,474
Default Jambalaya seasoning

OK guys, I made a chicken and pork jambalaya today, and I used Tony Checheres seasoning mix. From what I've heard from people is, either you love Tony's or you hate it. I was somewhere in the middle. Gotta be something better. Anyone out there have suggestions on a killer seasoning for their jambalaya? Or should I just keep it simple with salt, red and black pepper?
Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
OK guys, I made a chicken and pork jambalaya today, and I used Tony Checheres seasoning mix. From what I've heard from people is, either you love Tony's or you hate it. I was somewhere in the middle. Gotta be something better. Anyone out there have suggestions on a killer seasoning for their jambalaya? Or should I just keep it simple with salt, red and black pepper?
I season it myself. Salt, red pepper, black pepper, maybe some onion or garlic powder.

I rarely use Tony's, and when I do, it's the low salt jar. Most of those seasonings are way too salty for my taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

Ragin Blaze is legit. As is uncle J mix.

I like the Tony's herbs and spices blend. I use that, black pepper, red pepper, white pepper, and garlic. No added salt.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364
Default google search results

try this. i just found it and ima gunna give it a try too! On Sale

What's on sale near you.

• 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 5 tablespoons paprika
  • 3 tablespoons salt Morton Iodized Salt
    $0.89 - expires in 2 hours

• Add all ingredients to list
Directions

Add a note Print
  • Prep
    5 m
  • Ready In
    5 m
  1. In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt. Store in an airtight container.

You might also like

Fiery Fish Tacos with Crunchy Corn Salsa Crisp fish tacos bring the summer heat!

Berbere Spice Blend An intense and rich Ethiopian spice is even better when made at home.

Chili Seasoning Mix II A perfectly balanced seasoning mix for homemade chili.

Get the magazine

Get a full year for just $7.99!

Cook 5-star weekday dinners every time.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:02 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I always cut up all my raw meat
(Whether pork or chicken or both) then I just season those meats on the cutting board on one side. I use salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic and onion powder. The meat is usually pretty good and coated with seasoning on that one side. After browning all meats and veggies, I add chicken bouillon to my water(whatever the container calls for for that amount of water). And cook like that. I’ve yet to have a bad batch except that one time years ago when I forgot to put any salt. That was even before I started using the chicken stock so it was way lost
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
I season it myself. Salt, red pepper, black pepper, maybe some onion or garlic powder.

I rarely use Tony's, and when I do, it's the low salt jar. Most of those seasonings are way too salty for my taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
X2. My grandma swears that Accent is her secret ingredient in her jambalaya, but I have my suspicions. I?ve made it both with and without any and I couldn?t tell any difference.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Tripletail

OK thanks guys. Well I found there to be an "odd" flavor that I assumed was due to the Tony's seasoning. But yesterday someone told me that certain types of rice will change the flavor of the jambalaya. The recipe I used called for par boiled rice. What effect might that have had? BTW next time I plan on using regular long grain rice.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

For up to 5 cups I use regular long grain and wash it good before I put it in. I use Tony's extra spice to start when cooking meat and onions and such . After adding water I add a beef Boullion cube for every 2 cups water and rice and bring to a boil and adjust seasoning from there , salt , pepper , garlic powder , liquid smoke ...A little to the salty side , not briney , at this point won't hurt because the rice gunna suck it up .
Old 11-05-2017, 12:56 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

I normally cook gallons so my measurements differ from a pot on the stove.

I use chicken base and good smoked pork sausage. Cushion meat and throw in some chicken thighs occasionally.

Your sausage will add a good amount of seasoning to your pot, so you have to know how it cooks.

I personally don?t use the name brand Savoie, Richards, etc... not that there is anything wrong with it but it doesn?t deliver the flavor I?m looking for.

I use 1/2 ounce of Tony?s for every gallon, then adjust with black pepper and white pepper.

WARNING: If you have never used White pepper before beware, you can ruin a pot of food fast.

I put tablespoons of granulated garlic in my pot so I don?t mess with any garlic or onion powder.

I know people that use parboiled rice but it?s just not the flavor I like.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
OK thanks guys. Well I found there to be an "odd" flavor that I assumed was due to the Tony's seasoning. But yesterday someone told me that certain types of rice will change the flavor of the jambalaya. The recipe I used called for par boiled rice. What effect might that have had? BTW next time I plan on using regular long grain rice.
The par boiled rice definitely has a different flavor than regular rice. I tried some with my last rice and gravy. It has a "nutty" flavor if that makes sense. Just different.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
The par boiled rice definitely has a different flavor than regular rice. I tried some with my last rice and gravy. It has a "nutty" flavor if that makes sense. Just different.
It's possible that is the culprit. Couldn't figure out the flavor-definitely don't care to repeat it.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Sounds like you are using a box mix. Do yourself a favor and throw that crap away. Jambalaya can be tricky, but it’s much more satisfying to make from scratch. I prefer using strictly cubed pork fingers. Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. Brown until it’s nearly burnt and then add your trinity and boil it for about an hour to tenderize it. Add your rice after that. I prefer medium grain for a jambalaya, but lone grain will work. I judge my water by the first knuckle past the rice. Make sure it’s a little salty and seasoned. The rice will soak up a good bit. Close the lid and boil for 30 - 45 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID in this time frame. Afterward, lift the lid and FLIP the rice. Stirring will make a mushy mess. Close the lid and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes. It may take a few tries to get it right, but I promise it’s way better than anything you buy off a shelf and much more satisfying to know you made it from scratch.

You can use sausage and chicken, but I grew up with strictly pork in a jambalaya and that’s how I prefer it. It’s still the same process regardless.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I would never use a mix ,Until someone gave me a bag of " cook me something mister " It is a mix out of New Orleans. If i'm cooking just for the wife and i i will use this mix. Add double the meat and add a cup of trinity and cook as directed. If i'm cooking a pot for a bunch of folks it's all done the "right " way. I have started using frozen pre cut trinity. Buy it in 5 lb bags.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Sounds like you are using a box mix. Do yourself a favor and throw that crap away. Jambalaya can be tricky, but it?s much more satisfying to make from scratch. I prefer using strictly cubed pork fingers. Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, and garlic powder. Brown until it?s nearly burnt and then add your trinity and boil it for about an hour to tenderize it. Add your rice after that. I prefer medium grain for a jambalaya, but lone grain will work. I judge my water by the first knuckle past the rice. Make sure it?s a little salty and seasoned. The rice will soak up a good bit. Close the lid and boil for 30 - 45 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID in this time frame. Afterward, lift the lid and FLIP the rice. Stirring will make a mushy mess. Close the lid and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes. It may take a few tries to get it right, but I promise it?s way better than anything you buy off a shelf and much more satisfying to know you made it from scratch.

You can use sausage and chicken, but I grew up with strictly pork in a jambalaya and that?s how I prefer it. It?s still the same process regardless.

He was referring to Tony's seasoning. Not jambalaya mix.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Benoits best seasoning blend is a no salt ,no salt substitute seasoning.
also Fresh finds no salt seasoning available at big Lots.
Costco has Kirkland organic no salt seasoning.
I use all 3 of these and then add just a touch of salt when needed.
Of the three i would recommend benoits best for a jambalaya.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

LeBlancs Seasoning is what "the pros" use.

Save that parboiled rice for the next wedding you attend and get you some good Louisiana grown long grain rice and make your jambalaya they way God intended it to be done.

Season your meat before you brown it.

Throw away all your garlic powder, if your going to use a canned garlic use Granulated Garlic, yes there is a difference and granulated is a much better product.

Finally, download the jambalaya calculator for future reference. Here's the link... http://jambalayacalculator.com/excel-spreadsheet/
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Tripletail

OK thanks for the response guys. As redaddiction pointed out, it's the seasoning mix in question. I'll definitely do it differently next time. Will try it with regular medium or long grain rice instead of the par boiled.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Tripletail

Lol thanks swamp on the wedding rice. And yes, granulated garlic does sound better than powdered. Thanks for the link too.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Tripletail

Update: Swapped the par boiled rice with regular long grain in my latest jambalaya and it was great! Live and learn, and listen to people that know.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Update: Swapped the par boiled rice with regular long grain in my latest jambalaya and it was great! Live and learn, and listen to people that know.
Glad to hear that. Problem solved