SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,437
Default Last two weeks, offshore in Venice, LA

[SIZE=3]This year the duck season was less than par so I have been on the water a little more in January this year. We really havent had any outstanding trips except for the last trip on Sunday!

We fished a few trips last week, fishing hard for wahoo on Friday and Saturday with no hooters to show, decide to go hunting and they catch them the following three days! Just my luck!

This week we fished Friday with two people. Now these guys know how to party but fishing was way down on the priority list! Stopping the boat for beer and bathroom breaks was most of the day. HAHA We picked up 15 stud blackfin that morning, trolled for wahoo, grab some AJs, start to troll again and about 1pm they tell me, Lets go, We are going to New Orleans to party! HAHA So thats what we did. A friend of mine started to catch wahoo as we pasted him at the next rig we were going to troll so I would like to think we would have got them but hey, if they are happy, Im happy!!

Saturday we started the day off with wahoo hunting. The guys already informed me they they did not want any blackfin tuna, bout right, I had just found them the day before, All 30 pound fish and tons of them. So ok, plan B! They are looing for yellowfin, the seas are calm, we make a decision to run far! We are all in!! Bad decision! No fish to be found. See plenty of things including a mako in blue water, 2 pods of whales and huge (800 pound) sharks and even got lucky enough to run into a school of big yellowfin but the sharks would not leave. We did manage to get a hook in two of them just to have them spit the hook. Some days you cant do anything right and this is one of those days.

Sunday, we go to try to find this school of big fish but the water is now cold and dirty and its all sharks! Plan B again! We work our way to the wahoo grounds and we really have it on our mind. Damn it, today is our day to catch them. We troll rig after rig after rig. Nothing. We decide to change areas so in route we decide to stop and try for tuna. We get baits in the water and on the first drift pick up a big blackfin, ok, not bad! Next drift we get a black and a yellow. Oh yeah, here we go.....Nothing for the next few drifts, thinking we have done all we are going to do here, about to get back on the troll. I tell the guys that we have enough bait cut up for one more drift. baits in the water....fish on....then the next reel goes off, then all three 50 wides are screaming!! Hell yeah, now we are talking. We land 2 of the 3. Not bad. Next drift, double up, boat both fish, next drift, double again, one more drift catch one more. Almost dark, just cant leave yet, one more drift, one more yellowfin!! Lets take it to the house boys!! Forgot to mention that we did go back to the blackfin hole that morning for a few big blacks so we have that in the fish box too so its now packed! Also picked up a couple of AJs along the way! Really good trip! Hope the fish are here to stay!

We have the next 3 friday and Sundays open to fish and plenty of week days! The wahoo have shown up in good numbers and looks like the tuna are here too! Lets get it done!

Please visit the site for more info and the blog for more reports and pictures!

Capt Josh Howard
225-572-7408
deepsouthcharters@cox.net
www.deepsouthcharters.com
deepsouthcharters.blogspot.com
[/SIZE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan2013 008.jpg (59.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg jan2013 018.jpg (52.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg jan2013 056.jpg (59.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg jan2013 051.jpg (49.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg jan2013 058.jpg (58.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg jan2013 011.jpg (75.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,471

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthcharters View Post
[SIZE=3]

We have the next 3 friday and Sundays open to fish and plenty of week days! The wahoo have shown up in good numbers and looks like the tuna are here too! Lets get it done!

Please visit the site for more info and the blog for more reports and pictures!

Capt Josh Howard
225-572-7408
deepsouthcharters@cox.net
www.deepsouthcharters.com
deepsouthcharters.blogspot.com
[/SIZE]
Hey Josh, Bob and I have next Friday, or we better anyway. LOL

Looks like we got it timed about right, now if the weather will just hold!