SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,437
Default Tuna Fishing heating up in Venice!! 142 pound yellowfin!!

[SIZE=3]Feels damn good to be back on the water every week! The fishing is not as consistent as I would like to see it but its getting better every day! I cant seem to catch a wahoo this year either and that has me in a bad mood but most people say I stay in a bad mood so i guess everything is normal!

We fished Friday and Saturday this week. Friday was out of control, couldnt do anything wrong!! Started the day by pulling for wahoo, figure sooner or later I gotta catch one! First rig, put the baits out and we double up! I was happy for about 20 seconds til I figured they had to be jacks! I was right, no wahoo again! After no luck on the hoos, we dropped some big mullet down to say hello to some big amberjack and it was game on. Nothing like some hard pulling AJs to put smiles on all faces first thing in the morning.

Made a run to the tuna grounds. Brandon lined out the guys and we start fishing. Didnt take long before we had a reel screaming and we were on our first yellowfin. We put a few in the box and then the 30 wide starts to take line at a rate that got my attention, we were losing it fast enough that I put the boat in gear and left my school of fish that I had worked so hard to get under my boat. We chase this thing for a while, finally get some line back on the reel and get up and down with the fish. Took a while but I finally see what looks like a big tail wrapped tuna on the surface. I hate tail wrapped fish, sometimes I can stick them easy and other times its like I cant get a good stick and the fish takes off like the cops are after it!! Lucky for us, I got a good stick on the fish, we pull it in the boat and can see that its hooked in the fin. I cut the line, was going to leave the hook in but when I cut the fluoro leader, the hook just fell out!! This is why its super important to keep lines tight during a fight, you NEVER know how well a fish is hooked!!! Anyway, awesome fish! Everyone is happy, I think I even smiled. The guy on the rod said he thinks he would have died without the Braid Power Play Harness that we were nice enough to strap him into! After hooking into the harness, he looked like a pro on the rod but before......well, lets just say, not so much!! haha

We get back to work and put a few more in the boat. Was a really good day on the water. Ton of meat for the crew.

Saturday, Im thinking, ok, part 2 but I couldnt be more wrong! Started the day pulling for wahoo but you know how that ends! Big fat ZERO!! Decide to catch some jacks again that morning, all is going good so far, quick limit of AJs in the boat! Start to tuna fish and oh boy. Nothing for hours. Finally get a fish on and is taking line, here we go, we have a live one....We fight the fish for a good while when another line goes off, I can tell this is a shark by the way it runs, or really doesnt run. the problem is, this sorry shark makes a wrap around the tuna line before we know it and makes a hard run and I mean before we can act, the line has cut through the other line that HAD a tuna on it!! Now, i am none too happy! Work this hard to get a fish on and something like this happens! WOW! I feel like a jackass for allowing it to happen! We move on, nothing we can do about it now....fish for another hour or so and double up. Fight both fish back to the boat, they surface about the same time and are both making big circles and wrapping up but we handle everything good, finally get a gaff in one so now no sweat!! Fight the other one up to the boat again and line breaks, this one must have swallowed the hook because the line is shredded! Now Im pissed. Made up my mind that im not leaving til I have more fish in the boat or it gets dark, well we watched the sun go down and I threw in the towel with my one yellowfin for the day!! Cant win em all!!

All in all, it was a fun weekend with two really awesome crews on the Deja Vu!! Cant wait to get back at it Wednesday!! Wahoo, here I come!!

We still have weekend and week days open to fish. Please visit our site and blog for more reports and pictures! Stay safe on the water! The river has huge logs this time of year and the water temp is 45 degrees so please be careful, the fog has been an issue some days as well! Please like us on Facebook to see all of the pics we upload and keep up with the bite! Feel free to ask questions on there as well! If i know the answer, I will be more than happy to reply! Facebook link is
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/De...83850388365139

Capt Josh Howard
225-572-7408
deepsouthcharters@cox,net
www.deepsouthcharters.com
deepsouthcharters.blogspot.com
[/SIZE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feb2013 016.jpg (70.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg feb2013 007.jpg (51.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg feb2013 017.jpg (68.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg feb2013 020.jpg (55.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg feb2013 035.jpg (61.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg feb2013 047.jpg (58.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Nice report Cap.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,484

Don't worry Josh we'll find them Wahoo Friday together and maybe finish off with a few yellow fins.

The crew can't wait to get down there.