SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Snapper days 2 & 3

Snapper day 2

As luck would have it when the fishing was hot I left my camera at home. I was on a private boat targeting Mangrove snapper. I was with him earlier this year and had a good red snapper trip in rough waters. We went out to one rig and had a little luck but the wind against the current made it hard to fish and we were being pushed into the rig. Made a move nearby to another rig and the current was much different. We managed to find the mangroves chewing well. I managed to have somebody get a picture to me at the dock. We did not have a limit of anything. We had plenty of bait but it was hot and everybody was fished out. These are what we put in the box but we also got a bunch of sharks and hard tail jacks. We were 1 fish short of our limit on red snapper and 2 fish short of our limit on mangrove snapper. Such a bad trip. Could not limit out on anything. Just kidding! We ended up with 171 pounds of snapper for our efforts. Definitely a great trip.

Snapper day 3

Looking for a repeat of day 2. The winds were blowing most of the night. We eased our way out and set up camp. With conditions a bit rougher than the day before we were limited as to where and how we could hang. The mangroves were waiting for us when we got there. The wife used my setup and the husband used his own rod and reel.

Although there is something about using your own gear if it is a bit smaller than I have it may not work. This was the case today. While the wife was catching mangroves the husband, wanting to use his personal equipment, was busy feeding the fish and breaking off in the rig. He got proficient in splicing leader on braid and tying knots. Once in a hurry he tied a knot that pulled. That was a very good lesson for him. He took his time after that. We saw the fish just before the knot slipped. It was an 8-10 pound mangrove. We did the best we could and headed in rather early due to the sea conditions. It got a bit hard to stand and fish. Once again a few very big sharks made sure we were still in fighting shape.

At the dock I had beautiful help cleaning the catch of the day. One of the mangroves had 3 of our baits inside it's stomach as well as corn and chunks of ham from the food they threw off the rig.

We scratched out another good snapper day even though the weather man was right about winds increasing in the afternoon. We were one short of our mangrove limit but ran out of bait. Could have easily limited out if they used my gear.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Meat haul!!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Great trip