SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,856
Default Any Ideas

OK guys, here goes, I've been hunting public land, WMA for about 20yrs now and as we all know the first come first serve thing is always an issue, so this year I want to be a lil more mobile. I am going to put my boat blind back on my boat this year and am looking for some ideas on ways to have a portable setup for around the boat to break up the outline of the boat. My inital idea is to use PVC pipe and make a frame if you will that can be setup around the outside of my boat and use the camco burlap sacks attached to the PVC to hide the boat. I will then carry out enough brush to break up the outline of the sacks, then use the pop up blind to complete the setup. After hunting simply remove the PVC and roll everything up for use the next day. Any body have any other ideas for PORTABLE HUNTING. I hunt out of aluminum boat and in open water. Thanks guys, just looking for additional thoughts. If you look at my avatar, this is the type of water I hunt.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfreak View Post
OK guys, here goes, I've been hunting public land, WMA for about 20yrs now and as we all know the first come first serve thing is always an issue, so this year I want to be a lil more mobile. I am going to put my boat blind back on my boat this year and am looking for some ideas on ways to have a portable setup for around the boat to break up the outline of the boat. My inital idea is to use PVC pipe and make a frame if you will that can be setup around the outside of my boat and use the camco burlap sacks attached to the PVC to hide the boat. I will then carry out enough brush to break up the outline of the sacks, then use the pop up blind to complete the setup. After hunting simply remove the PVC and roll everything up for use the next day. Any body have any other ideas for PORTABLE HUNTING. I hunt out of aluminum boat and in open water. Thanks guys, just looking for additional thoughts. If you look at my avatar, this is the type of water I hunt.
do you just not want to build a drive in blind? we just build a frame and brush it up and drive the boat in it and pop up the boat blind once inside. do you just not want to do that? it works well and is perfectly legal as long as u use string to secure everything and not nails
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

look at "Bimini" hard ware.
You can use EMT as a frame............
Check out places like Mudmotortalk.com...........tons of ideas there
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

How about something like this???????????

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duck blind.jpg (77.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
do you just not want to build a drive in blind? we just build a frame and brush it up and drive the boat in it and pop up the boat blind once inside. do you just not want to do that? it works well and is perfectly legal as long as u use string to secure everything and not nails
That is what we have been doing, however keeping the lazy people out of it has become a real issue, so I was wanting something where I could hunt the same area and not have to worry on the way out there if someone was utilizing the blind or not. They use the first come first serve as an excuse not to have to do any work, so trying to fool em.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
How about something like this???????????

That is a bit extreme for what I'm wanting to do!!!! LOL, I do like it however!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

"so this year I want to be a lil more mobile."

I believe this is what he said in his #1 post.. Also, the WMA's & NWR I've hunted require u to leave with everything u brought in.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
That is what we have been doing, however keeping the lazy people out of it has become a real issue, so I was wanting something where I could hunt the same area and not have to worry on the way out there if someone was utilizing the blind or not. They use the first come first serve as an excuse not to have to do any work, so trying to fool em.
gotcha. I know the feeling. it sucks but we just get up so early that people would have to sleep out there to beat us. we always the first boat out there. usually 45min-an hour before we hear/see anyone else. only thing I could tell you is rig up a pvc rail around the boat with some T's in it every couple feet. so you can place either real limbs or those light weight fake limbs they sell to place in it.

similar to this except out of pvc
http://www.gatortraxboats.com/p-197-brush-rails.aspx
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Is it all open water where you hunt? Any broken marsh? If so i'd hunt in the grass in some smaller ponds. Seems like that would be much better for windy days. Also, no matter how good it is brushed, a boat is still going to stick out in the middle of a lake
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA COVE View Post
"so this year I want to be a lil more mobile."

I believe this is what he said in his #1 post.. Also, the WMA's & NWR I've hunted require u to leave with everything u brought in.
Not sure i understand your response.....LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
gotcha. I know the feeling. it sucks but we just get up so early that people would have to sleep out there to beat us. we always the first boat out there. usually 45min-an hour before we hear/see anyone else. only thing I could tell you is rig up a pvc rail around the boat with some T's in it every couple feet. so you can place either real limbs or those light weight fake limbs they sell to place in it.

similar to this except out of pvc
http://www.gatortraxboats.com/p-197-brush-rails.aspx
Now that I like, that not a bad idea at all, Thanks FF T,
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Is it all open water where you hunt? Any broken marsh? If so i'd hunt in the grass in some smaller ponds. Seems like that would be much better for windy days. Also, no matter how good it is brushed, a boat is still going to stick out in the middle of a lake
I hunt open water almost always, I really enjoy the open water hunting and hunting out of my boat, I done got too old and fat to walk in and out of that marsh.....LOL. I can't access shallow water ponds with my boat, as I run an outboard.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Quote:
Not sure i understand your response.....LOL
Sorry, it was directed @ the #2 post.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 946
Default ..

Quote:
We weld eyelets on the four corners and use rods with a set screw to help stabilize the boat. Works great in keeping the boat from rocking to much.