SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Resources for High School Math At Home

The popularity of home schooling and failures of the public schools often present the need for parents to teach or supplement college preparatory math courses at home. A common sequence is Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Precalculus. In many cases, the challenges of these courses is beyond what parents themselves can muster, and the parents need to choose curricular materials to bridge the gap between the instruction they can provide directly and what their high school students need to be prepared for their college dreams.
Read More
Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachaser250 View Post
Nice use of GIF...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The popularity of home schooling and failures of the public schools often present the need for parents to teach or supplement college preparatory math courses at home. A common sequence is Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Precalculus. In many cases, the challenges of these courses is beyond what parents themselves can muster, and the parents need to choose curricular materials to bridge the gap between the instruction they can provide directly and what their high school students need to be prepared for their college dreams.
Read More
Mathgeek, why do you keep doing this? I applaud you for homeschooling. through your posts it seems that you are very educated and have passed on your knowledge and christian morals to your children. Seems that you've done a great job with them. Once again, I applaud you.

However, why do you keep posting all this info on a fishing website? You used to share great reports and research that you had done while fishing and it was cool to keep up with your reports. Now you just keep trying to shove homeschooling down all these guys throats and they are sick of hearing it. It's not what they came to read or talk about. I'm saying all of this as a 3rd party looking in because I have no kids at this point. When I do, I may homeschool them because of the craziness that this world has become.

Your doing a great job with your children but why not use saltycajun.com for fishing and use www.home-school.com/forums/ for your homeschooling info. Just a thought.

Still love you man, but Im tired of seeing all this bantering and griping. I came to see peoples catch since I rarely get to go myself, not read a bunch of men griping about homeschool.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Mathgeek,

How much do you get for each click on your blog?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Mathgeek,

How much do you get for each click on your blog?
There is no financial reward, just the personal satisfaction of knowing readers become more informed.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Your doing a great job with your children but why not use saltycajun.com for fishing and use www.home-school.com/forums/ for your homeschooling info. Just a thought.

Still love you man, but Im tired of seeing all this bantering and griping. I came to see peoples catch since I rarely get to go myself, not read a bunch of men griping about homeschool.
Thanks for the link. If you read the above article, you will notice that the resources for teaching math at home apply not only to the home schooling family, but to any family where the public schools may be leaving the students short of what they need to know.

Most of the resources discussed can also be used in a supplemental role for private or public school students falling behind or struggling in math, or whose teachers are failing to adequately prepare them for college.

Readers may want to consider the info when their students bring home suboptimal test scores or report cards.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 320

Quote:
Thanks for the link. If you read the above article, you will notice that the resources for teaching math at home apply not only to the home schooling family, but to any family where the public schools may be leaving the students short of what they need to know.

Most of the resources discussed can also be used in a supplemental role for private or public school students falling behind or struggling in math, or whose teachers are failing to adequately prepare them for college.

Readers may want to consider the info when their students bring home suboptimal test scores or report cards.

All true, but back to the original question. Why post all of this bs on a fishing reports board?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Homeschoolers all get As because the teacher is their parents and they won't fail them.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
There is no financial reward, just the personal satisfaction of knowing readers become more informed.
Well there are ad's on the bottom of your blog. Not every blog site I've been to has that.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Homeschoolers all get As because the teacher is their parents and they won't fail them.
Not at all true. When a course is outsourced (ALEKS, distance learning, college course, etc.) we assign the same grade as the original course, and use a 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% grading scale for sources that assign percentages rather than letter grades.

I think the lowest grade we've assigned in home school is a C. But my children know I wouldn't be any slower to assign a D or F to them than I ever was when I was a public school teacher.

When I taught in the community college, my rate of assigning Ds and Fs was usually between 10% and 30%, with the higher failure rates for the harder courses.

At the Air Force Academy, I probably recommended more cadets for disenrollment for academic reasons than any other faculty member there.

My teens know there is no one to go whine to if their parents assign a failing grade.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:27 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
All true, but back to the original question. Why post all of this bs on a fishing reports board?
Does no one on a fishing related board have students struggling in math at school?

Why not complain about all the political posts, shooting posts, posts about pot, etc.?

Further, the folks on SC have a unique perspective, are more willing than many to offer honest feedback, and I enjoy the discussions. I can't really think I've gotten a broad base of feedback on any topic without discussing a matter on SC.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Well there are ad's on the bottom of your blog. Not every blog site I've been to has that.
Just like the ads on SC, those are put there by the hosting site, not by the author of the materials. I have no control over those ads, and I don't even know what you are seeing.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Flounder

Cash: 320

Quote:
Does no one on a fishing related board have students struggling in math at school?

Why not complain about all the political posts, shooting posts, posts about pot, etc.?

Further, the folks on SC have a unique perspective, are more willing than many to offer honest feedback, and I enjoy the discussions. I can't really think I've gotten a broad base of feedback on any topic without discussing a matter on SC.
1) Very few political posts
2) I love shooting
3) I love weed