SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Flounder

Cash: 564
Default Cajun Navy - Training, Permits, License and Fees

Maybe I'm missing the point but the way I see it is these outdoorsman spend their own money, use their own equipment and did what they had to do to save people. I saw on the news that Senator Johnaton Perry wants citizen-rescuers across the state to take training and start applying for permits so there is no liability. How can you regulate this? Here's a thought - how 'bout passing a law saying that anyone attempting to rescue someone is exempt from liability.

http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana...76d9b161a.html
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Just another way for the government to steal money from the working man. Let me know when the revolution starts.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

This guy is full of more crap than your normal politician. Clarify your statements is political code for "opps I shouldn't have said that to begin with."

Seems to me the Cajun Navy did great job without any of the stupid, ridiculous, and moronic processes this politician is suggesting.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

The ppl who voted him in should band together and have him removed from his seat immediately. Hes pimping this terrible disaster as a way to make money. If hes that concerned about liability, just let everyone sign a waiver. No need to charge a man to save another man.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Not the case. Lots of misinformation out there. I am not a JP fan but I know him well enough to know that he would never introduce something like that. He's to the right of far right. Here is a message he posted on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.j....4572198949427/
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

I was ready to write something like the others, "typical LA govt wants to shake down the guys out there helping." Thanks for the video that helps clear it up, straight from the horse's mouth. Can't say I like the "here's my address take a shot" stuff, but hearing the real story helps. Thanks Marque.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Tripletail

He's my neighbor. I hope they are better shots than they are at facts.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Not the case. Lots of misinformation out there. I am not a JP fan but I know him well enough to know that he would never introduce something like that. He's to the right of far right. Here is a message he posted on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.j....4572198949427/
I don't care what video you post after the story breaks. It's a pointless idea anyway. The Cajun Navy did a fine job without having some inefficient government certification process involved.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
The ppl who voted him in should band together and have him removed from his seat immediately. Hes pimping this terrible disaster as a way to make money. If hes that concerned about liability, just let everyone sign a waiver. No need to charge a man to save another man.
I agree this should fall under the good Samaritan laws. It is just another way to make a buck and claim the credit in the future. Government just can't stand to not be in control. The feds hate Louisiana. We out performed them in every aspect of this disaster. Quicker at response to evacuation, shelters, food and donations. They can't claim look at all the people we saved. Look at what we gave you so vote for us. We need your donations so we can keep 90% of the dollars and give you 10% back. But you know what they hate most of all. We exposed them for what and who they are. All show and no go!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

I don't agree with a fee but I'm not opposed to a training program... Some sort of organization to work within the Incident Command Framework wouldn't hurt as well. It would actually more than likely get help to citizens quicker linking the navy to the EOC.... I think good could come out of it if done right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
I agree this should fall under the good Samaritan laws. It is just another way to make a buck and claim the credit in the future. Government just can't stand to not be in control. The feds hate Louisiana. We out performed them in every aspect of this disaster. Quicker at response to evacuation, shelters, food and donations. They can't claim look at all the people we saved. Look at what we gave you so vote for us. We need your donations so we can keep 90% of the dollars and give you 10% back. But you know what they hate most of all. We exposed them for what and who they are. All show and no go!
Exactly! They can't even manage deliver mail in a half way efficient manner!!!! So bad at it people pay a premium to use FED EX or UPS.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Next time I see a stranded boater I'll just keep on going since I'm not certified to rescue.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
I don't agree with a fee but I'm not opposed to a training program... Some sort of organization to work within the Incident Command Framework wouldn't hurt as well. It would actually more than likely get help to citizens quicker linking the navy to the EOC.... I think good could come out of it if done right...

You guys don't get it. Any idea how many went out there with an ice chest of beer? How about 4 "buddies" in a 15' boay to rescue people? How about LDWF having to pull units from rescue to deal with th ones that were drunk or lost?

Granted, they were the minority, but it happened. There has to be some coordination! If you just drop and go, you may be going where the area has already been cleared or if you clear an area, the others who go through there are wasting valuable time.

There has to be some training and coordination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,127

The left put their spin on this and now everyone is up in arms. I don't agree with having to get pay for a permit to go and rescue people but from what he said in the video it's not that bad. The law won't be able to turn you away if you are going rescue. It will expedite getting help to the people. I know working in telecom I have that access after storms and such.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
You guys don't get it. Any idea how many went out there with an ice chest of beer? How about 4 "buddies" in a 15' boay to rescue people? How about LDWF having to pull units from rescue to deal with th ones that were drunk or lost?

Granted, they were the minority, but it happened. There has to be some coordination! If you just drop and go, you may be going where the area has already been cleared or if you clear an area, the others who go through there are wasting valuable time.

Chief,
I guess it is hard for those who have never worked within the NIMS framework to actually understand the planning and organization that goes on. I can speak from experience on how hard it is to get your job done while having to worry about would be rescuers getting stranded and having duplication of efforts due to lack of communication. The Cajun navy is a great group of volunteers but working within a national response guideline is essential in disaster response.....

Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Tripletail

Yes I can see how it would be a horrible idea for the state to try and ensure the people they are allowing into a disaster area have a minimum degree of competence. As well as have some clue as to the chain of command works in disaster response so they can work with the first responders efficiently. Because lord knows everyone who owns a boat in Louisiana is perfectly capable of going into a chaotic situation, save the day, and not getting themselves in trouble. That would never happen.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Yes I can see how it would be a horrible idea for the state to try and ensure the people they are allowing into a disaster area have a minimum degree of competence. As well as have some clue as to the chain of command works in disaster response so they can work with the first responders efficiently. Because lord knows everyone who owns a boat in Louisiana is perfectly capable of going into a chaotic situation, save the day, and not getting themselves in trouble. That would never happen.

Lmao! Well at least a few people have a clue!!!!

Like was stated earlier.... Let's grab a couple cases of beer and cruise around and if we happen to see someone we'll grab em....

Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:

Not a shot at you Chief just a thought.
If I'm using my time, my boat and my fuel to come get you out of your flooded house and you have a problem with the beer in my hand just get comfy at home because that's where I'm leaving you. Even drunk neighbors get stuff done faster than a sober government.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Not a shot at you Chief just a thought.

If I'm using my time, my boat and my fuel to come get you out of your flooded house and you have a problem with the beer in my hand just get comfy at home because that's where I'm leaving you. Even drunk neighbors get stuff done faster than a sober government.

Whether it's at my paid department or my volunteer department I want competent people working around me... A level of competence is expected from myself and our crew, I expect it from everyone working around me also. My life could very well be in their hands... You would be surprised at the amount of victims that started out as untrained would be rescuers..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Tripletail

Quote:

I remember after Katrina all the people that headed to NOLA with their boats that were turned away by State Police. People were really up in arms about that but I understood exactly why they did it.

Unless you are trained how to deal with people who are in a state of desperation or shock you won't be prepared to handle it. You expect them to be happy to see you but instead they start shooting at you.
You can't send a bunch of Quakers into the inner city of New Orleans to rescue withdrawing drug addicts, mentally ill homeless people, starving children and all the others that got left behind. You send Marines. Granted this situation was different but a state law is the same in NOLA as it is in Youngsville.

Its really not hard for me to see why there need to be these kind of laws in place. I guess you guys who think there is no need for it haven't witnessed enough human stupidity in your life time. Just because you aren't stupid doesn't change the fact that the majority of human beings are. I have no problem letting the weak cull themselves from the herd but I don't want them to kill me or someone I care about in the process. For as angry as you guys are you sure do have a lot of faith in humanity.