Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfeathers00 View Post
Well B-Stealth,

First I would never make that claim unless it was guaranteed. But I will give you an pretty good proven scenario.

The gas tank is sealed in the boat, no access unless through the Gas cap and hose. Which the hose makes several S CURVES from the cap to the tank. WHICH would make it almost impossible to maneuver through the hose into the tank which actually makes a bend upward then downward.

This being said, the following items were found in the boat tank

FIBERGLASS ---- OOHH now how would fiberglass (something the boat is made of ) make it into the tank.

Cigarettes. --- OOOHH now how would cigarettes make in the tank (especially if it had gas))

Needle Nose Pliers ---- Sorry gonna just say, aint no way in sam hell pliers made it through the gas cap

Sticks & Leaves ---- Same answer as above

MCDONALDS Wrapper ---- UMMM bet its safe to say the guys SMOKING on lunch break threw both their lunch trash and cigarette butts in the tank

Pair of Rubber Gloves --- Yeh pretty much synonymous using fiberglass and resin.

AND NOW THE PUNCH LINE>

The tank has a serial number, EPIC admitted that the serial number on the tank was from the VIP BAY STEALTH inventory which they did not use in their new boats. EPIC claimed someone grabbed the wrong tank and placed in the boat.

EPIC uses a different polymer type tank and manufacturer for their tanks and a different serial numbering system for the EPCI boats.

BUT that's all just a guess.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ??? LOL

Hey man I believe you, just playing a little Devils Advocate. It doesn't make the situation any better but it makes sense that it was an older tank. Defiantly some major QC shortcomings. How can I say this politely, the talent pool in NW Louisiana is extremely shallow.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 449
Default B-Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Hey man I believe you, just playing a little Devils Advocate. It doesn't make the situation any better but it makes sense that it was an older tank. Defiantly some major QC shortcomings. How can I say this politely, the talent pool in NW Louisiana is extremely shallow.

LOL, and then to put the cherry on the ice cream they brought in a guy from the North East to Manage and Build boats and customer service in South La.

LMAO, that's like trying to stick your hand down a bra with and find a hairy boob.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
IF you don't mind a little advise??

But use a scale from 1-10 in category scales to decide.

I use the following

Looks =
Storage=
Ride=
Layout=
Options=
Resale=

Give each category a number 1-10 and then take the average. You can also use consumer ratings to go with it.

Now using this scale, I have learned a few things. With all the boat manufacturers in the country and being that Louisiana waters are not just so simple as some other states, it does require a boat to fit several different conditions for South Louisiana fishing.

That being said,

SKEETER has a ranking of 8. Its average per every category was 8 and its resale values are the strongest. Their customer service is second to none compared to all the others.

Just an opinion, but if you follow it, you will be surprised as to what you find out.
So you know everything about bay boats yet you purchased an EPIC? Im confused.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Here's a story first hand on Champion: I was in Lake Area Marine getting my boat serviced earlier this year and a guy comes in looking for a broken part off his champion boat. They couldn't help him because they don't make parts any longer. He was pretty much screwed. It was a cast metal part and I don't know what it was for. I told him he might have to have something fabed up and try Southside Machine Works in LC. It just something to think about when buying a used boat from a manufacturer no longer in business.
Quote:
I will tell you what he is not telling you.

Champion is out of business COMPLETELY. Ranger bought them and supported the Champion made boats until 2012. Now there is no support for Champion boats, including parts, warranty, or anything else. Ranger has washed their hands of Champion completely after dissolving them.

What does that mean??? Champion boats are only worth the Motor hanging on the back.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
You are using your head in the purchase. Remember a lot of the boats for sale in Florida don't come with a trailer from what I've seen. That good deal might not be so good once you factor in the cost of a trailer as well.
A lot of boats coming out of Florida come with Magic Tilt Trailers. If thats the case you are better off without the trailer. Mine has been a disaster.

Quote:
Hydra Sport Bay Bolt is a bad knock off of the CAPE HORN bay boat.

Cape Horn absolute dream and smooth ride.

Hydra Sport great ride, turns into a lead weight in a turn. goes from 45mp to 3mph. Very very heavy boat. Will crush a wave, and strong boat, I will give it that. BUT A FIG I tell ya, ITS A FIG
I don't know if I could call the Bay Bolt a fig, its a solid boat even though its ridiculously overpriced. I've been on one and was impressed with the way it handled. Its noticeably wider than my boat and faster which I don't get because its heavier. I didn't care for the layout and the weight was a consideration as well because I fish from Big Lake to Cocodrie. It also was a PIA to maneuver with a trolling motor. I don't know if I would call it a knock off either, I think they were in production way before the Cape Bay unless they redesigned the hull. To me the Bay Bolt seems a lot more like a Champion or a Ranger. Actually, I have heard more than one person say Cape Horn knocked off Yellowfin although don't see it. I don't think there is really anything out there like a Cape Bay. Its handled anything I have put it through and I have put it though a lot. 450 hours in a year and most of that was chasing trout 20 miles offshore in less than ideal conditions. I would rate its performance as adaquate offshore, not great, but where it excels is in the chop. That 1 to 1 1/2 foot stacked chop that chews up Nautic Stars and Blazer Bays is no trouble for my boat. I will put it up against any boat on the market in the chop. I'll put it this way, I've pulled in the Hebert's twice and had the Cameron Parish Sheriff water patrol deputy waiting on me to make sure I made it in because the lake was that rough. I wasn't even wet.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Hydra Sport Bay Bolt is a bad knock off of the CAPE HORN bay boat.

Cape Horn absolute dream and smooth ride.

Hydra Sport great ride, turns into a lead weight in a turn. goes from 45mp to 3mph. Very very heavy boat. Will crush a wave, and strong boat, I will give it that. BUT A FIG I tell ya, ITS A FIG
Never said it was the best boat out there but its not bottom of the barrel either.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Never said it was the best boat out there but its not bottom of the barrel either.
Wait, whats bottom of the barrel?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
Wait, whats bottom of the barrel?
Looks like Epic is winning that race but I think Meaux was talking about the Bay Bolt.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Flounder

Default I totally admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Oh. I admit it absolutely. I even professed it earlier in my post that I drank the coolaid.

My boat dealer kept pushing me. At first I didn't like it. But the Carolina bow and the options with the price were grabbing my attention.

so to answer and admit. I am very knowledgeable about boats even more so on composites and resins . But I did drink the coolaid and made a bad decision.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I think Marty F has an Epic and he seems to be happy with it. Speaking of which I haven't seen him on here in a while. Hope he's ok...
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Ha, how about we build kcinnick a boat?

We should be able to pull off a decent build with all of the knowledge we have floating around here!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Trophy Trout

So, thoughts on Key West, the wife unit likes the 230BR, I got a quote for $49k for the 230BR and $53K for the 246BR with a Yamaha 250.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
So, thoughts on Key West, the wife unit likes the 230BR, I got a quote for $49k for the 230BR and $53K for the 246BR with a Yamaha 250.
Solid boat for a good price. It was what I was leaning towards before I went the my Cape Bay. Good amount of dead rise with a relativly shallow draft makes it a really versatile. The lay out is very family friendly, yet highly functional. I bet she loves the head in the console too.

Asking for an opinion on a boat is about the same as asking who's the best looking woman. You are going to get a wide variety of opinions. I had to pick the wrong boat to figure out what I needed in the right one. It all depends on what you are expecting. Depending on your experience level, most production boats on the market will satisfy your needs. It all comes down to how you are going to use it. I don't like to pick my days and don't mind fishing in rough conditions so I am happy to have the boat I have. The Key West is definitely capable of handling the occasional bad day but I would be hesitant to put it through too much abuse. I think that's a good price even without any accessories. Just make sure you get a sea trial before you buy it, preferably on a day that is not too calm.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Key West has my vote. Great boat.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

I speak from experience and I'm sure most will agree with my first statement below.

You really don't know what boat you need until you buy one and figure out what your next boat should be.

That's the reason I say go with a proven functional boat with a High Resale Value in our area and go from there.

Don't be a sucker for a boat that's popular in Florida; because you will have hell selling it down here.

I would advise against buying a mid-grade boat, then deck it out with tons of accessories.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

There's a very nice used blackjack for sale in the classifieds on here.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
I need to go through a dealer or pay cash for a boat. Buying used puts pretty harsh restraints on what I can buy. Unless someone wants to take payments or wants to trade for guns, I am in the new camp for now. Deals I am looking at used are stuff like blown motor boats, a 2010 that had its motor removed/stolen, whatever etc. Or 10+ year old boats that took major depreciation hits.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Flounder

Quote:
I need to go through a dealer or pay cash for a boat. Buying used puts pretty harsh restraints on what I can buy. Unless someone wants to take payments or wants to trade for guns, I am in the new camp for now. Deals I am looking at used are stuff like blown motor boats, a 2010 that had its motor removed/stolen, whatever etc. Or 10+ year old boats that took major depreciation hits.

KINNICK,

First, please tell me where you work, because if you can pay cash for a boat I want to come work with you . LOL

And if all your finding in boats like that are blown, then your looking in the wrong place.

Let me know if you need help. I bet we can find you a boat by next week.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
Yea for a great price! Lol