SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Thumbs up How to Read Fishing Reports!

[SIZE=3] This info down below I think will help a lot of guys understand fishing repots better. Most read reports and think what is said it TRUTH!! I know for fact 80% is not truth! It’s mostly what will maybe get you a fish or two. Take Lake Charles news paper for Example. They put out a report and say fishing is hot in Turners bay!!! Now who ever gave that report I PROMISE is not fishing Turners bay!!! I read a report last year from a guide who gave an updated report and fact I was fishing the same area he had been for about a week….The area he gave wasn’t even close! So if you’re not an avid fisherman or new to a lake and read reports a lot …..Look over these guidelines below and it might help you understand a Fishing Report!![/SIZE]
  1. Understand the timing of a report – Fishing reports printed in magazines with long lead times (the time between it’s put together and it comes out to the public) are predictions based on a source’s historical perspective combined with current conditions. Like football prognostications, there are a lot of variables that can cause a prediction to go astray. Fishing reports are a source’s “best guess” of how somebody could catch fish during the publication month.
  2. Look for the basics rather than specifics – A lot of anglers want somebody to tell them EXACTLY where to go and what to throw. The unfortunate truth is, though, that I could tell you exactly where I am catching fish and what lure I’m throwing, and you still probably won’t be able to duplicate it. Therefore, pay attention to a reports advice about general locations, fish movements, preferred structure, etc. rather than exactly what lure to throw and in what color. Guides don’t get stuck throwing what a report tells them to throw and neither should you.
  3. Use a report as a starting point – Fishing reports often state what fish should be doing rather than what they are doing. Therefore, the best tip I can give about reading fishing reports is to use them as a starting point. Try the areas mentioned. Try the baits suggested. Try what the report says, but look for your own patterns if fish aren’t doing exactly what a report said they would. Don’t continue to beat a dead horse if the fish aren’t responding
[SIZE=3]This was a report done by Chris Ginn: http://geauxcoastal.net/page/2/[/SIZE]
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
[SIZE=3] This info down below I think will help a lot of guys understand fishing repots better. Most read reports and think what is said it TRUTH!! I know for fact 80% is not truth! It’s mostly what will maybe get you a fish or two. Take Lake Charles news paper for Example. They put out a report and say fishing is hot in Turners bay!!! Now who ever gave that report I PROMISE is not fishing Turners bay!!! I read a report last year from a guide who gave an updated report and fact I was fishing the same area he had been for about a week….The area he gave wasn’t even close! So if you’re not an avid fisherman or new to a lake and read reports a lot …..Look over these guidelines below and it might help you understand a Fishing Report!![/SIZE]
  1. Understand the timing of a report – Fishing reports printed in magazines with long lead times (the time between it’s put together and it comes out to the public) are predictions based on a source’s historical perspective combined with current conditions. Like football prognostications, there are a lot of variables that can cause a prediction to go astray. Fishing reports are a source’s “best guess” of how somebody could catch fish during the publication month.
  2. Look for the basics rather than specifics – A lot of anglers want somebody to tell them EXACTLY where to go and what to throw. The unfortunate truth is, though, that I could tell you exactly where I am catching fish and what lure I’m throwing, and you still probably won’t be able to duplicate it. Therefore, pay attention to a reports advice about general locations, fish movements, preferred structure, etc. rather than exactly what lure to throw and in what color. Guides don’t get stuck throwing what a report tells them to throw and neither should you.
  3. Use a report as a starting point – Fishing reports often state what fish should be doing rather than what they are doing. Therefore, the best tip I can give about reading fishing reports is to use them as a starting point. Try the areas mentioned. Try the baits suggested. Try what the report says, but look for your own patterns if fish aren’t doing exactly what a report said they would. Don’t continue to beat a dead horse if the fish aren’t responding
[SIZE=3]This was a report done by Chris Ginn: http://geauxcoastal.net/page/2/[/SIZE]
Boy dont we know that ???
Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Another "Truth" about fishing reports......

On any given day.....some boats may find a good bite somewhere and catch lots of fish. Then others can try all over and only catch a few trout.

Timing is really important.

A few years ago, I along with about 8 other boats started of fishing the Long Point reef just after daylight. I had been catch tout there in the past few weeks. After about 30 minutes the boats started leaving. I stayed there for about an hour.....hoping the fish would bite after the other boats had left. Finally I left to fish else where.

Then a couple of days later while in a sporting goods store, I heard a guy telling about how many trout he had caught at Long Point a couple of days ago. He had gone to Long Point about an hour after I had left.

Now to be fare......"Long Point" reef is a big area and we could easily have been fishing a half mile apart.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
[SIZE=3]I read a report last year from a guide who gave an updated report and fact I was fishing the same area he had been for about a week….[/SIZE]

Soooooooooooooooo....in other words, you read the report and potlicked the dood?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

I say its all about being in the right place at the right time. Just like deer hunting. You wont catch fish if you dont go fishing.

They call it fishing, not catching!!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:10 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Soooooooooooooooo....in other words, you read the report and potlicked the dood?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bIDltTI.jpg (3.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

usually the only thing you can trust in a fishing report is if they are biting
Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post

Attached Images

Where do y'all find this stuff?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Attached Images

google does wonders
Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Attached Images

Google, photobucket, Do a google image search on whatever... type anything and it will give you pictures of it.

Example--- i did an image search on Ryan Raunchyneck and this popped up....
Old 05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
usually the only thing you can trust in a fishing report is if they are biting

Attached Images
File Type: jpg liar21.jpg (18.0 KB, 61 views)