SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217
Default Misadventures on Big Lake

No matter what you think, this was not me.
It was sent to me by a new Salty Cajun member yesterday.
I told him it needed to be posted because it was so funny.
Here it is:

Ray,

I gave it a try yesterday. Not good. I had to scrape ice off the truck windshield before departing at 0345. I should have went back inside after that sign. I made it down to Spicer's and found the "we are closed for the season sign". I kept going to the West Cove launch and boy was the tide flowing out and the water was down about 2 1/2 feet. Tried fishing one of my spots, but the tide was too quick. Decided to run to the cove in search of birds. No birds and the water was so shallow that I was pumping mud every time I came off plane. Decided to run to the ship channel. No luck at a few stops. The wind and tide were relentless. Tried to fish the canal that runs from the ship channel back to West Cove. No good. Ran aground trying to get back into West Cove. I followed the crab traps like I usually do to find the "deeper" water, but somehow ended up in 6" of water. Had to remove my pants and socks an jump overboard. Did I mention how cold it was yesterday? Got the boat floating again and decided to run to the Refuge canal you mentioned. About 70 birds were diving at the mouth of the cut but the water was so shallow half of the crab traps were out of the water. I could not get close enough to make a cast into the hole. I should have just removed the pants again and walked over. I decided to give it one more go and make it back towards the boat launch. It took 3 times before I found the right hole between the 200 crab traps that were out of the water at the end of the cove canal by now. I decided to stop one more time and caught a nice red on cut mullet before the park ranger yelled at me for fishing in there. I guess the entire west marsh is closed until March, you can only launch your boat in the canal and must not stop until you are past the crab trap land mine course at the end. I told him there was not enough water to get into the cove and thanked him for putting me out of my misery. I packed up and drove the two hours home.

I'm planning on going again Saturday. I know the weather is supposed to go to crap, but I will probably try again. Do you know of any good places I could try since all the ones I know are in the West Cove marsh? I hope you kill them tomorrow. Let me know how you do.