SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577
Default 2004 Tohatsu 25 Restrictor Plate

Has anyone ever experimented with this part? Did removing it provide any better hole-shot, mid-range or top-end performance? Already confirmed with CajunChristian it is safe to remove, just looking for more information. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Flounder

Cash: 720

I pulled mine off years ago so i don't really remember how much worse it was with the restrictor installed.. Don't expect any miracles from removing it, but it has to help some. I also left off the plastic piece that covers the intake of the carb.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bson View Post
I pulled mine off years ago so i don't really remember how much worse it was with the restrictor installed.. Don't expect any miracles from removing it, but it has to help some. I also left off the plastic piece that covers the intake of the carb.

About how fast do you run, and what kind of boat are you pushing?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

removing the one on my 40hp made it act more like a 50hp so I would imagine taking yours out would make it act more like a 30hp.

CC told me the ECM automatically adjusts the gas to the amount of air so its safe to remove them but it does burn more gas so its a trade to get more power you burn more gas.

im actually thinking of putting mine back in just to compare the difference now that im used to it and to see if my gas mileage changes a lot or just a little.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy.yyz View Post
About how fast do you run, and what kind of boat are you pushing?
16 x 42 weldbilt. By myself with a fishing load, 1 trolling motor battery I can usually get 30-32 mph. Add another person and it's more like 28.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Tripletail

Turns out the restrictor plate was already removed. I played around with my motor today...running 30mph with the jackplate as low as possible, and 27 with it up as high as possible...
Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Advance the timing a bit for the extra fuel/air. Bump the timing up about 2-3 degrees.
If you're expecting drastic changes, lower your expectations. The formula we use for hunting and fishing rigs is 5hp=1 mph. That's it. The gain is not proportionate to the horsepower percentage gain. From 25hp to 30hp is a 20% gain in horsepower. You will not see a 20% gain in speed.

D

Last edited by CajunChristian; 03-06-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Tripletail

Danny,

How much difference can a prop make? Mine is getting 'old' and I think I have lost some prop off the edges. Can this Tohatsu spin a 4-blade, should I stick to a 3 blade? What are your suggestions in that regard? Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy.yyz View Post
Danny,

How much difference can a prop make? Mine is getting 'old' and I think I have lost some prop off the edges. Can this Tohatsu spin a 4-blade, should I stick to a 3 blade? What are your suggestions in that regard? Thanks for all of your help.
Prop is everything. The best all around fishing prop we have ever run on that motor is the PowerTech REB3 in a 12 pitch. The ported motors turn that prop about 6400-6600 rpm. Stock motors will turn it close to 5900 or so. And before anyone asks, it's not worth the cost to port that little motor. I have done a few, just not worth the cost. Porting will gain abut 2-3 mph, not worth it.
D
Old 03-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

what would be a recommended prop for a 18x42 southfork with a stock 2 stroke 3 cyl 40 merc? right now running a 4 blade and have amazing hole shot, just doesnt feel/sound like i am getting all of my RPMs on top.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Tripletail

We are just going to bombard you with questions....What is the best prop for this motor for hole-shot, and what is best for top-end? I know I have a PowerTech now, but it has been used and abused for a while now. Just had it re-worked and cupped...It held a little, but I think I may need more prop. Prop was on the motor when I bought it, so I don't know how old it is, but I would imagine the marsh has eaten away at it...or at least I have heard that can happen. You suggested an all around fishing prop, but what about a performance prop that a 2004 Toh 25hp with 30 hp carb, no restrictor and ported motor can spin? Sorry to have so many questions, but this is not my expertise, but I know that you KNOW! lol
Old 03-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Trophy Trout

That PowerTech REB3 is the best for the 25 tohatsu.

As for the Merc, what pitch do you run now, what rpm's are you turning.
Is the Merc stock? Too many unknowns to answer with any degree of certainty.
The absolute best all around prop for the 13 spline motors, 40/50/60 Merc, tohatsu 40/50, Yamaha 40/50, is the Yamaha Black Painted Stainless Steel Propeller. Problem is that it is only made in 14, 15, & 16 pitch.
FIRST, you need a tach. Propping a motor without one is a complete guessing game. It's like building a box with no measurements.
D
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Tripletail

Got the boat back up to 31mph with the jack plate all the way down...Running 27mph with it all the way up, going to leave it up since I spend more time in the marsh. Easy to drop when needed if fishing the lake or river..
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
That PowerTech REB3 is the best for the 25 tohatsu.

As for the Merc, what pitch do you run now, what rpm's are you turning.
Is the Merc stock? Too many unknowns to answer with any degree of certainty.
The absolute best all around prop for the 13 spline motors, 40/50/60 Merc, tohatsu 40/50, Yamaha 40/50, is the Yamaha Black Painted Stainless Steel Propeller. Problem is that it is only made in 14, 15, & 16 pitch.
FIRST, you need a tach. Propping a motor without one is a complete guessing game. It's like building a box with no measurements.
D

i do not have a tach so i really dont know what RPMs i am running. i also do not know what pitch prop i have, but it appears my prop has had some work done to it (4 blade). the motor is stock, and it feels that the motor still has alot left in it when i am WOT.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

cgoods17.... buy you a tiny tach.... best investment you will ever get for your motor.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Tripletail

Here is my setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pt1WVGv7d8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY_7pcJXf4