SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 679

I am in the safety field been in for four years working for a pipeline and oilfield company. just did my osha 500 not too long ago and it wasn't bad at all but like some of the others have said I learn something new everyday and try to get as many certs as possible. Currently trying to find something that pays better and that will be stable don't mind traveling either.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

Also in the safety world here, I have a couple of degrees, including MS in Occupational Safety and Health. Before that I learned the regulations well and still learning today. The COSS is a good way to go, and the OSHA 500 is also good. Learn the 1904 and the 1910 of the 29 CFR. This will help get you in the door. I started by luck just out of the Navy, was in explosive safety, little different than Occupational, however that opened some doors, then learned about the civian side of things then got the degrees, I have several certifications, and nearing the CSP. Dragging my feet, as my company does not push that, and I am very content with where I am at and dont plan to leave soon.
The field is demanding and most cultures are not too cooperative with safety as change inevitable to have safety culture. The greatest attribute to success in safety is being a coach and not persecute folks for incidents.
A very good book that is a good rule of thumb to work by in safety, an oldie but applies, Dale Carnegie, 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'.

All folks I have hired, I certainly look for experience, and some education, technical and formal. A key ingredient I really am after is motivation, and personality. The safety cop mentality is a tough one to shake, and that is unfortunately the label that is most often placed on safety professionals.

Lastly, keep this in mind, I use as my rule of thumb to approach all situations, "No one likes to be told when they are doing something wrong".
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Do yourself a favor and get plenty of real field experience in all the trades. Nothing worse than a safety person with a bunch of letters behind their name and not knowing sh*t about the real world. Experience, knowledge and the ability to effectively communicate is the key.

End up a safety cop and you will live job to job, contractor to contractor. No respect and you will be looked upon with disdain.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenuf View Post
Do yourself a favor and get plenty of real field experience in all the trades. Nothing worse than a safety person with a bunch of letters behind their name and not knowing sh*t about the real world. Experience, knowledge and the ability to effectively communicate is the key.

End up a safety cop and you will live job to job, contractor to contractor. No respect and you will be looked upon with disdain.

I have worked in refineries and chemical plants...nuke plants and pipelines.from louisiana to mpntana and about 10 states in between ..doing every thing from welding to pipefitting to building scaffold to what i do no x ray and inspection....i have a ton of real world experience...just ready to move on to something i will enjoy doing for the rest of my life.....

thank yall for the great responses i appreciate all of it