SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Fly Fishing for Reds

I have a buddy from Arkansas that fly fishes and is dying to get on some that way, and is like to put him on some.

Is there a time of year and place that conditions are best for fly fishing reds?

Any guides around that specialize in this? I saw a post on here a while back about it, but can't find it...
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

My buddy does it all the time in Dularge. Text me lata I will call him and get the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Check out Mediumheavy6'6 member

The Guides' Spot - Hunting: Photos from some recent trips with Saltyflyexpeditions - SaltyCajun.com
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
Lucas Bissett is your man!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
My buddy does it all the time in Dularge. Text me lata I will call him and get the info.

Do I need to turn off iMessage?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Swordfish

Thanks fellas
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

G0ooh,

I spend just about all of my free time fly fishing for redfish in the marsh from one end of the state to another. I learned and developed my skills doing it in the Calcasieu Estuary when I lived in Lake Charles, and guided for about 5 years pulling fly fishing trips in the marsh. I quit guiding in 2008 but still fly fish a LOT and have great success with it.

There are a lot of guides specializing in fly fishing for redfish to the east, from Dulac/Dularge/Coco all the way over to Biloxi Marsh.

If you want to go the guide route here are a few suggestions

My good friend Ron Ratliff is guiding Dulac/Coco and all areas south of Houma, his web site is http://www.marshdawn.com/

Further east Capt Rich Waldner is out of Port Sulphur www.fishwithrich.com Capt Greg Dinni fishes venice/empire/hopedale etc
also good are Brian Carter, Greg Moon, and quite a few more. Google them and you'll find their web sites.

Also, there is one guide Devin Palamino, another very good friend of mine, that will pull trips for Grosse Savanne on their private marsh in the Calcasieu Estuary. He's a great guide, but his availability is very limited. If they can book you with him it would be worth it, otherwise I don't have the confidence that any of their other guides are really versed enough in fly fishing to be effective. There's a lot of things you have to do different with a fly angler on deck regarding boat position, being stealthy because you have to get closer, spotting fish, fly selection etc... that I wouldn't hire a conventional guy to do it for a novice fly fisher.

You can fly fish for redfish year round, now through the fall you can catch all the slot sized you want sight fishing the flats from one end of the state to the other. In the late fall/winter the sight fishing goes to crap in the Calcasieu Estuary but that's when the east part of the state fires up with chances at GIANT redfish on a fly in 2 feet of water. I have a web site that has a lot of info on fly fishing redfish including fly patterns, techniques etc at www.redchaser.com . If you think you want to take him yourself instead of hiring a guide shoot me a private message and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

I caught this little guy on fly sight fishing in 2 feet of water.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

Boring
Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
Boring
LoL
Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Ryan (Outcast) Fredric is another well qualified fly fishing guide.

I was fortunate enough to spend a day on the water with Ryan and Lucas. Best, most enjoyable and most successful fly fishing trip I have ever been on. Both are well versed in the art of fly fishing!

Last edited by PaulMyers; 06-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
Boring

Bromance brewing?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
G0ooh,

I spend just about all of my free time fly fishing for redfish in the marsh from one end of the state to another. I learned and developed my skills doing it in the Calcasieu Estuary when I lived in Lake Charles, and guided for about 5 years pulling fly fishing trips in the marsh. I quit guiding in 2008 but still fly fish a LOT and have great success with it.

There are a lot of guides specializing in fly fishing for redfish to the east, from Dulac/Dularge/Coco all the way over to Biloxi Marsh.

If you want to go the guide route here are a few suggestions

My good friend Ron Ratliff is guiding Dulac/Coco and all areas south of Houma, his web site is http://www.marshdawn.com/

Further east Capt Rich Waldner is out of Port Sulphur www.fishwithrich.com Capt Greg Dinni fishes venice/empire/hopedale etc
also good are Brian Carter, Greg Moon, and quite a few more. Google them and you'll find their web sites.

Also, there is one guide Devin Palamino, another very good friend of mine, that will pull trips for Grosse Savanne on their private marsh in the Calcasieu Estuary. He's a great guide, but his availability is very limited. If they can book you with him it would be worth it, otherwise I don't have the confidence that any of their other guides are really versed enough in fly fishing to be effective. There's a lot of things you have to do different with a fly angler on deck regarding boat position, being stealthy because you have to get closer, spotting fish, fly selection etc... that I wouldn't hire a conventional guy to do it for a novice fly fisher.

You can fly fish for redfish year round, now through the fall you can catch all the slot sized you want sight fishing the flats from one end of the state to the other. In the late fall/winter the sight fishing goes to crap in the Calcasieu Estuary but that's when the east part of the state fires up with chances at GIANT redfish on a fly in 2 feet of water. I have a web site that has a lot of info on fly fishing redfish including fly patterns, techniques etc at www.redchaser.com . If you think you want to take him yourself instead of hiring a guide shoot me a private message and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

I caught this little guy on fly sight fishing in 2 feet of water.

Great info, I would like to take him myself, but am unsure if my boat would even allow me to get to them - it's a 24' bay.

I will check into guides for sure, that will shave years off my learning curve. I'm just worried I may get hooked and wind up with a duck/flats boat...
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Great info, I would like to take him myself, but am unsure if my boat would even allow me to get to them - it's a 24' bay.

I will check into guides for sure, that will shave years off my learning curve. I'm just worried I may get hooked and wind up with a duck/flats boat...
Hey your bay boat would look great with a polling platform
Old 06-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Hey your bay boat would look great with a polling platform

Or a triple stack of Yetis?!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Or a triple stack of Yetis?!
haha thatll work too... but poling platform would be a lot cheaper
Old 06-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
haha thatll work too... but poling platform would be a lot cheaper
A new skiff would damn near be cheaper
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:

You will prob get hooked for sure.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I'm going Saturday can't wait to try this.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Redfish

Hey Goooh,

Tell your buddy to watch this video by Capt Gregg Arnold and heed the advice, especially about bringing a "double haul". Tell him to practice delivering the fly with the fewest false cast possible too. Those are the biggest issues trout dudes have when they try fly fishing in the salt for the first time.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Hey Goooh,

Tell your buddy to watch this video by Capt Gregg Arnold and heed the advice, especially about bringing a "double haul". Tell him to practice delivering the fly with the fewest false cast possible too. Those are the biggest issues trout dudes have when they try fly fishing in the salt for the first time.

Captain Gregg's Tips - YouTube
This advice is spot on. One false cast max. Get the bait somewhere in front of him and adjust on the next cast if no take. It's fun, but the artsy fartsy guys have to have the casting aesthetics beat out out of them in the beginning.