SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

View Poll Results: Should dogs be allowed
Yes its our tradition 7 33.33%
No it ruins the hunt 10 47.62%
I dont really care I do both still hunting and dog hunting 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 645
Default Deer Dogs

Who is for it and who is aginst it and why
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default dog hunting

Its un american to ban a tradition.I think it should only be allowed in national forests like kasatche and the homa****a,and not allowed on wma's.do what you want with your own land
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

agreed matt.... never hunted deer with dogs... if u dont like it, dont do it !!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard matt View Post
Its un american to ban a tradition.I think it should only be allowed in national forests like kasatche and the homa****a,and not allowed on wma's.do what you want with your own land
I agree with it being un American to ban it but it needs to be restricted to private land only, any kind of public land should be still hunt only, IMO. I can't stand it when dogs from our neighboring lease start running on our lease, nothing ticks me off more . I understand that you can't control where the dog goes but don't take it the "wrong way" when you come to get your dog from me and I'm PO'd that I missed a deer because of your dog running and barking all over my food plot.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I don't like it when hunting on private land and a couple of wayward dogs run under my stand howling and barking, nothing in front of them.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

BOOM.... :shuck:.... BOOM....... problem solved ray !!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I'm in a Club that does run dogs, I've been around dogs for 30 years +. Were mixed 1/2 still hunters 1/2 dog hunters, If the weather is bad (hot) I'll go make a dog hunt, but over this past 30+ years I've noticed that once the dogs hit the woods the deer are hard to find, they get nocturnal real quick. In the past several years there the still hunters have killed way more & better bucks than the dog hunters. We have pictures of some absolute giants & they will turn out dogs in these areas from several different sides to no avail. Our pictures go from daylight during still hunting only to night time when dog season rolls around. Personally I could do w/o the dogs.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default lost dogs

If its on your land kill it thats how that works very simple.And some people are just stupid no matter what there doing.Thats why i say national forests need a lot of land to properly run dogs.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Dog hunting has its place even though i dont care for it. For clubs that have 5-10 thousand acres and the dogs rarely leave the property I have no problem with that. It is the ones the deliberately release dogs on small acreage knowing they will run onto other peoples land that I have a problem with. I hunt 2 pcs. of property. One club I have shoots anything that walks the other shoots 130" deer or better composed of 1200 acres and is managed well. All of our neighbors are on qdma and practice management as well except for one property owner that has 25 acres and lets walker hounds loose on it all the time. He knows they dont stay on his property but he also knows if they run on ours it may push a good deer onto his 25 acres. His dogs came in front of me 3 times in one hunt last year and finally I had enough. You can guess what happened next. Dog hunting is tradition in Louisiana, I was even brought up around it and if done right by respectable hunters have at it but it is some of the ones like I mentioned above that give many of them a bad rap.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I have caught and returned lost deer dogs to the owners.
I don't want anyone shooting my dog.
But I let them know it wasn't appreciated when their dogs ruin my hunt.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I've done the same, I have a 4 1/2 yr old lab that I use for a blood dog, he has gotten on to other property, I get him off as quickly as possible, Now he's not running deer only trailing one thats been shot so I'm usually pretty close to him. It would be a bad situation if someone ever shot him.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have done this also plenty of times. I had a guy come last year to pick up his dogs and he said he released the dogs 13 miles away. He was more than appreciative and I understand it happens sometimes. But on my other lease the surrounding landowners have spoken to the guy that releases the dogs on the 25 acres many times and he does not care so now I look at his dogs the same way I do coyotes. If you saw a coyote chasing a deer would you shoot it?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
I have done this also plenty of times. I had a guy come last year to pick up his dogs and he said he released the dogs 13 miles away. He was more than appreciative and I understand it happens sometimes. But on my other lease the surrounding landowners have spoken to the guy that releases the dogs on the 25 acres many times and he does not care so now I look at his dogs the same way I do coyotes. If you saw a coyote chasing a deer would you shoot it?
I would definately shoot the deer.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabwiz2 View Post
I would definately shoot the deer.
Thats what he tells us also but its hard to judge a 130" deer running full blast in front of dogs.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

I am primarily an archery hunter, so I don't dog hunt. I have only one problem with the whole fight between dog hunters and still hunters. If we keep this fight going it is just making it easier for the anti's to ban hunting all together. If we stand behind one another as hunters we have a bigger fight to win against the anti's. We should all put our disagreements aside and stick together for the purpose of not loosing our hunting rights.

Warren