SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

We had set up on a submerged rig about 24 miles off G.I. and were having a hard time holding the spot because of all the current. I was in the process of trying to reposition the boat and got my fishing line wrapped in the prop BAD. That's when we noticed the weather starting to build. Had there not been the issue with the line in the prop I really think we would have made it in NO PROBLEM. So I put on a life jacket and had to pull the prop while floating in the water. It took about 30-45 minutes to pull the prop dig out all the line and remount the prop. By then the storm was in full swing. We headed north toward Caminada Pass, and only made it about 6 miles when I saw the Supply vessel. I made the decision to ask permission to board the supply boat to ensure the personal safety of the crew above all else. Boats can be replaced. So once the Capt. gave us permission, we boarded the boat, and rode out the storm through the night. In the morning, we woke up, retrieved the boat and came on in. Thanks for the prayers sent. We were scared as hell, but everybody stayed calm and did what it took to stay safe in some pretty crazy circumstances.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Crazy story glad yall made it out and got the boat back....no damages to the boat?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Crazy story glad yall made it out and got the boat back....no damages to the boat?
very minimal. lost the windshield (shattered) no idea how that happened, and a few scratches on the hull.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 980

Thanks to God you guys made it back and are hear to tell the story.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM
King Mackeral

we missed you out there this year H.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Got home at 3.....sat down for a minute or two.....just woke up.....I needed that!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Blue Marlin

We managed to damage every boat there except Chris'.......

Expensive trip!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Got home at 3.....sat down for a minute or two.....just woke up.....I needed that!

3 yesterday?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crab View Post
We had set up on a submerged rig about 24 miles off G.I. and were having a hard time holding the spot because of all the current. I was in the process of trying to reposition the boat and got my fishing line wrapped in the prop BAD. That's when we noticed the weather starting to build. Had there not been the issue with the line in the prop I really think we would have made it in NO PROBLEM. So I put on a life jacket and had to pull the prop while floating in the water. It took about 30-45 minutes to pull the prop dig out all the line and remount the prop. By then the storm was in full swing. We headed north toward Caminada Pass, and only made it about 6 miles when I saw the Supply vessel. I made the decision to ask permission to board the supply boat to ensure the personal safety of the crew above all else. Boats can be replaced. So once the Capt. gave us permission, we boarded the boat, and rode out the storm through the night. In the morning, we woke up, retrieved the boat and came on in. Thanks for the prayers sent. We were scared as hell, but everybody stayed calm and did what it took to stay safe in some pretty crazy circumstances.
We were in the 22 ft. Twin Vee that ya'll passed right by at 19 miles. We were sitting on an artificial reef. Ya'll waved to us when passing by. We caught our snapper fast and got a text that said severe weather coming fast get in. We loaded up and headed in ASAP. We hit the bad weather at about 5 miles from Caminada Pass. The wind picked up to at least 30-35 from the North and made for horrible seas. We could barely see in front of the boat but knew at that point our best option was to keep the bow in the waves and moving forward. We were worried about you guys all evening and kept saying that we hope ya'll hunkered down and made it safely. Glad to hear everyone made it safely!

There was no rain on the radar when we left the camp that day. It was a 45 minute boat ride and took us 1 hour to catch all of our snapper and by that time it was too late to get back in before the storm had built up and moved our way. ALWAYS RESPECT THE WEATHER OUT THERE!

Last edited by Tete Dur; 06-10-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
3 yesterday?
Yes.....son woke me up twice last night for about 30 min......buy other than that.....I was out!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
We were in the 22 ft. Twin Vee that ya'll passed right by at 19 miles. We were sitting on an artificial reef. Ya'll waved to us when passing by. We caught our snapper fast and got a text that said severe weather coming fast get in. We loaded up and headed in ASAP. We hit the bad weather at about 5 miles from Caminada Pass. The wind picked up to at least 30-35 from the North and made for horrible seas. We could barely see in front of the boat but knew at that point our best option was to keep the bow in the waves and moving forward. We were worried about you guys all evening and kept saying that we hope ya'll hunkered down and made it safely. Glad to hear everyone made it safely!

There was no rain on the radar when we left the camp that day. It was a 45 minute boat ride and took us 1 hour to catch all of our snapper and by that time it was too late to get back in before the storm had built up and moved our way. ALWAYS RESPECT THE WEATHER OUT THERE!
Yall shoulda come by the camp. If yall are down there next year, definitely hook up with us. The more buddy boats everybody knows out there, the better.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Yes.....son woke me up twice last night for about 30 min......buy other than that.....I was out!!!

Damn that's a good nap. One year I'll make it down there with yall.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

No fish pics or is it a sore subject?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Missing from G.I. Trip a spinning rod and okuma inspira . Older reel . Any one has it let me know Thanks. Bob
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM
King Mackeral

also mising a small plano box full of hard baits. Top waters and mirrodines.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Blue Marlin

I do have 1 rod that I can't place. Sienna reel and brown rod
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:

Sounds to me as though you made the right call.........kudos to you.
lot's of guys are just too stubborn to make the call you did.....smart move
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Sounds to me as though you made the right call.........kudos to you.
lot's of guys are just too stubborn to make the call you did.....smart move
sure was hard to leave my boat out there. I honestly thought I'd never see it again.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
sure was hard to leave my boat out there. I honestly thought I'd never see it again.
Were you able to tie it up to a structure or did you have to leave it floating?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Missing from G.I. Trip a spinning rod and okuma inspira . Older reel . Any one has it let me know Thanks. Bob
Reel is on Berkly Lightning rod.