PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fished Destin area lately?

cmdrost
06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I haven't been to Destin since I was in college at spring break. Sure wasn't worried about fishing then.

Charters any good over there? Anything special that we can't catch over here? I've looked online with out much success. It looks like mostly trout & redfish inshore and snapper & king mackeral offshore.

I'm heading there for a week and thought about a trip, but not gonna pay for something I can go catch here.

huntin fool
06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I haven't been to Destin since I was in college at spring break. Sure wasn't worried about fishing then.

Charters any good over there? Anything special that we can't catch over here? I've looked online with out much success. It looks like mostly trout & redfish inshore and snapper & king mackeral offshore.

I'm heading there for a week and thought about a trip, but not gonna pay for something I can go catch here.
we went to panama city last year and went and fished offshore. we caught king macs and baracudda.

LaAngler
06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
stay on the bank...ha ha

Hopedale Hustler
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
i fshed with capt. champ green pn the pescador 3 weeks ago...hooked up with 3 blues before finally landing one..caught some pretty nice grouper and a ton of snapper to take home with us..all in all it was ok nothing cheap about it but it was free...id take venice anyday of the week and do not reccomend a 1000 dollar destin fishing trip to anyone who has the opportunity to fish venice,grandisle,or vermillion,etc. Nothing like south louisiana.

cmdrost
06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
yep figured that. I'll stay on the beach! Really like to catch a tarpon and read they catch a few of them there, but rare. Need to talk the wife to vacation FL Keys next time!

I'll stick with fishing Big Lake or Venice.

huntin fool
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
yep figured that. I'll stay on the beach! Really like to catch a tarpon and read they catch a few of them there, but rare. Need to talk the wife to vacation FL Keys next time!

I'll stick with fishing Big Lake or Venice.

i dunno much bout destin, but do they have like backwater fishing for tarpon like smaller size? i heard those are a blast to catch.

Hebert
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
i'm right down the road from destin...you can take a headboat out for snapper/beeliner..or a charter for grouper/snapper,king,spanish........the trout/speck fishing just plain sucks here compared to La.....matter of fact everything does lol...and the laws? 1 red, 5 trout, 2 snapper ......the real fisherman here go to La. to catch fish ....save your money...

cmdrost
06-17-2009, 01:15 PM
hebert....thanks!

How much farther down the road do you have to go for snook or tarpon?

longcast
06-17-2009, 01:34 PM
i just got back sunday from destin.water was not as clear as it is usually this time of year.i picked up some live bait at the pass then trolled about 4 miles out.there are alot of spanish.we did pick up some good sized kings 2 going well over 3 feet.we also picked some kings on raballa lures trolling about 50 yards out.missed something huge trollling a hard tail aout about 100 yards.forgot to set the drag and broke the line as if there wasnt any.pm me if you need any more info

Feesherman
06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
i just got back sunday from destin.water was not as clear as it is usually this time of year.i picked up some live bait at the pass then trolled about 4 miles out.there are alot of spanish.we did pick up some good sized kings 2 going well over 3 feet.we also picked some kings on raballa lures trolling about 50 yards out.missed something huge trollling a hard tail aout about 100 yards.forgot to set the drag and broke the line as if there wasnt any.pm me if you need any more info

If you are trolling for kings with rapalas you should be right behind the boat in the prop wash. Like 20 yards.

fishinpox
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
pm me if you wanna go offshore ill give you the name and # of a real good crew of guys

longcast
06-17-2009, 04:27 PM
thats probably why the fishing was kinda slow.i was trying to get them out of the boat wash but still keep them working.it was my first trip offshore and i have alot to learn.thanks for the info.next year i will be much more informed.i see you live in br.do you fish biglake.

Hebert
06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
How much farther down the road do you have to go for snook or tarpon?

i think around carabelle they have a few tarpon charters, there are occasional tarpon caught up here on the panhandle but they are pretty rare.. to get into the real tarpon/snook you need to go towards tampa area..

Feesherman
06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
thats probably why the fishing was kinda slow.i was trying to get them out of the boat wash but still keep them working.it was my first trip offshore and i have alot to learn.thanks for the info.next year i will be much more informed.i see you live in br.do you fish biglake.

If you asking me, yes, I fish the lake.

Cutty713
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Someone once said "leaving Louisiana to go fishing is like leaving a cat house to get some tail". (that the PG-13 way of saying it) Stay on the beach and play in the white sand, something we don't have here in Louisiana. Crab island is fun and FULL of eye candy. You will spend the same amount of money on a charter there as you will here. Use that same money and go to Venice when you get back.

Jordan
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
amen cutty!!!! i lived 20 minutes from destin.. guess where i was everyday after school ??? FT WALTON BEACH !!!