PDA

View Full Version : Added first coat of gel kote today

cerveza fria
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Never again will i take on a project this big! I am converting my fish and ski to a strickly fishing boat if possible! It's Much cheaper than buying a new boat. So far I have removed all of the foam interior that most ski boats have, the runabout seats that take up way to much room, replaced the entire deck and fiberglassed both sides of it, built a new engine cover to fish off of, and added a new 24volt riptide. Today I put the first coat of gel kote in and then I called it a day when i ran out of materials. I decided that it is to hot to stay in that metal building so I headed home to watch the tigers kick some a#$ and drink a few cold ones!!! Ill post some pics in 2010 when I finally finish this project!!!!

huntin fool
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
lord thats alot of work...hope it turns out good

Natural Light Kid
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
you're braver than me, and definitely more talented. congrats on the time and kuhunos to take on a project like this. so for, so good it looks like. keep us posted.

mechanix000
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
where do u get the gel kote?

cerveza fria
06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
A guy here in Denham springs that the man that showed me how to do the fiberglass introduced me to. His first name is Bill. He is a retired boat maker and still takes on some side projects. I can get his contact info if you want it.

Zachary Boy
06-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Give us more info on the gel-coat. After replacing the carpet for the 3rd time in my Bay Stealth, I'm gonna gel-coat. Does it roll on, spray on etc.? Thanks and I think you're gonna have a hard core fishing machine when you get done. I live in Zachary and may want to ride over and check it out when you're finished. I had a good price from Mr. Larry Tidwell in pride to do the gel-coat but he is so busy it's hard to get in his schedule. He is a great guy and always willing to give advice and 'help a brother out". He is also the best in the fiberglass business....

cerveza fria
06-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I havent had a chance to go and see how it looks dry yet. I just rolled it in like paint. You can also spray it in. It cost me $60 for one gallon. I still have a little more than a 1/4 left. It goes a long way. I will probably need another 1/2 gallon to do the touch up work and the engine cover. As soon as i am done i will post some pics, and you are more than welcome to come check it out. It will probably be a few weeks before i get to work on it again becuase of work and summer school though.

southern151
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Cool stuff man! I used to do a good bit of fiberglass work when I worked in the collision industry so, if you get hung up, let me know. Pm me and I'll get you my info. I'm in Gonzales. Good work!

Zachary Boy
06-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I think may give it a try. Good luck with school!

Reel Bender
06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
It's a lot of hard work, but it is worth it. I re did a 23ft Shallowcraft that was headed to the grave yard. Saved myself about $25-30K on a new boat.

cerveza fria
06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
I hope mine comes out that good. I just checked it today for the first time and the gel cote was kinda tacky. I may have to apply another coat and add more catalyst this time. Any other ideas?