PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting outlook for the Basin....?

LaAngler
05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
I heard that after one of the hurricanes several years back, that the deer population in the basin exploded?? does anyone think this might happen again because of the low harvest rates last season?

I hunt sherburne and the hunting was pretty bad, i guess because of all the new growth and hard to get to places with the trees down.

Gerald
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I sure hope the 1000's of trees and big limbs start to rot real quick. It was still hard to get around and see vary far during Turkey season.

The problem in the next few years will be the explosion in growth of the under brush.

Good news is that all the damage and changes from the hurricane should really help deer population. I think the total number of deer at Sherburne is/was still below normal due to the Blue Tongue disease several years ago.

Most hunters I talk to complain about the extra weekend of either sex hunting that was added added just before the Blue Tongue outbreak. They are not seeing as many deer now. I know that in the last seveal years I have have been seeing a few more and better Bucks there. Now if I could only kill one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaAngler
07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
bump...........

anybody seeing any more deer than last year yet??

rebelfootball73
08-21-2009, 11:21 PM
i have not hunted there in a few years. the last time i was there i shot a large buck but lost him in the flooded timber. looked for him the rest of the season but with no luck. but all my friends are saying the same thing not as many deer as they used to have. but as far as the blue tounge i know it hurt them bad i found, reported, and help catch 3 deer that had blue tounge and that was just in one small area

Gerald
08-22-2009, 01:22 AM
i have not hunted there in a few years. the last time i was there i shot a large buck but lost him in the flooded timber. looked for him the rest of the season but with no luck. but all my friends are saying the same thing not as many deer as they used to have. but as far as the blue tounge i know it hurt them bad i found, reported, and help catch 3 deer that had blue tounge and that was just in one small area

This was from Sept. '05. Blue tounge hit the basin area north of I-10 hard.

What area are you talking about?