PDA

View Full Version : smoked cheese

Shawn Braquet
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Decided to smoke some cheese for the first time on my new smoker, no pics but it came out quite tasty. Decided on pepper jack and sharp cheddar, that with some crackers and cold miller light while watching my porkloin and chicken cook. Anyways figured i'd share with ya'll.

SULPHITE
08-16-2010, 10:30 AM
hhmmm sounds darn good...Love me some pepper jack cheese too!

Shawn Braquet
08-16-2010, 10:35 AM
me too, the spice was intensified with the smoke it was great, but the cheddar was still better, gonna try swiss and provologne next. I likes me some provologne

jldsc
08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I met someone that smoked cheese....just made'em all crazy????:eek:

eman
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Shawn,
vacum seal that cheese and put it in the fridge for a week .You think it's good now ? It gets better w/ age.
What smoker did ya get?

meaux fishing
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I met someone that smoked cheese....just made'em all crazy????:eek:
:*****::*****::*****:

Shawn Braquet
08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Shawn,
vacum seal that cheese and put it in the fridge for a week .You think it's good now ? It gets better w/ age.
What smoker did ya get?
my dad has a custom stainless smoker that he got from a charity auction and doesnt use so he gave it to me since i started making sausage. I just havent had a chance to try it out till now with everything thats been going on. It has a firebox/grill with a vertical smoke box on the side, i think i may have to look into insulating the smoke box though seems like it didnt hold heat too well. I had a hot fire (i was grilling a portebella mushroom) and started smoking my cheese and i didnt melt the cheese. However it was hot on the lower racks just not hot at all on the top rack. I'll have to try vacuum packing the cheese though.

Hackberry Hustler
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Shawn,

We always smoked cheese during cold winter days when i was growing up. Hadnt done it in a long time, but i gotta do some now thwt you have brought it up. We also smoked dill pickles. Just take em out the jar and put on the smoker till you get the desired flavor then take em off let em cool and put back in the jar. These are awesome if you like pickles

southern151
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Shawn,

We always smoked cheese during cold winter days when i was growing up. Hadnt done it in a long time, but i gotta do some now thwt you have brought it up. We also smoked dill pickles. Just take em out the jar and put on the smoker till you get the desired flavor then take em off let em cool and put back in the jar. These are awesome if you like pickles
That is something that I will certainly be trying that the next time the smoker is going!

I love me some Mt. Olive dill pickles!

Shawn Braquet
08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
That is something that I will certainly be trying that the next time the smoker is going!

I love me some Mt. Olive dill pickles!
my wife could eat her weight in pickles, if i do that i'd have to smoke pickles everyday. But I will still have to try one day. May have to use some homeade pickles next year after i get my green thumb back at my new place.

Raymond
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
my wife could eat her weight in pickles, if i do that i'd have to smoke pickles everyday. But I will still have to try one day. May have to use some homeade pickles next year after i get my green thumb back at my new place.

You trying to tell us somethin:eek:

Shawn Braquet
08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
You trying to tell us somethin:eek:
boy dont i wish:D

eman
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
some of the best smoked cheddar i ever had was done with a soldering iron, a coffe can about half full of pecan chips and a cardbord box.

Bluechip
08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey eman, I'm going to try some cheese soon. When you wrap it up for a couple of weeks, do you freeze it or leave it in the fridge?

eman
08-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Hey eman, I'm going to try some cheese soon. When you wrap it up for a couple of weeks, do you freeze it or leave it in the fridge?
If you can vacum seal it fridge is ok. If not i'd freeze it.

Ray
08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Every time I light up the smoker, I cook everything Market Basket has on sale.
Leg quarters, turkey wings, pork ribs, pork roast, tuna, pork loin... ect.
Vacuum pack machine is the best investment I ever made.
Bought mine in '94 when I got my offshore boat. Still works good. But not as
nice looking as the newer ones.

One of the best piece of meats I found to smoke was something called Tri-tip.
I found them by accident at Walmart one time. Cooked them things for about
a year, then they quit selling them. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Hackberry Hustler
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM

I found them by accident at Walmart one time. Cooked them things for about
a year, then they quit selling them. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Ray,

They got dem tri tips at sam's, and yeah that is some good stuff if yall hadnt tried one you dont know what your missin......:spineyes:

Ray
08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm gonna hafta check Sam's out. I never seen them there, but I don't go there much.

ScubaLatt
09-21-2010, 10:38 PM

I found them by accident at Walmart one time. Cooked them things for about a year, then they quit selling them. Now I can't find them anywhere.

At what temp did you have to cook something for a year???? Must have been one hell of a tough piece of meat! ! !:*****:

hardball
09-22-2010, 08:17 AM
At what temp did you have to cook something for a year???? Must have been one hell of a tough piece of meat! ! !:*****:

Maybe it was a wing tip (shoe) instead of tri tip. LMAO

meaux fishing
09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Ray just go to a store with a real butcher and ask em it cut it for you. Its just a piece attached to the bottom of the sirloin

Ray
09-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Not many of them kinda stores left.
When I lived in Cameron, all 3 stores had butchers.

hankscke123
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
ray im from lake arthur and have a hook up for good meat let me know when u need some im offshore right now i have a smoker out her i try every week to some somthing differant to find out whats good at house.cheaper to try offshore i smoked ducks and pork butt last hitch this hitch brisket and rabbits.id like some hints on things to smoke i joind smoked meat fourm any pointer id appreciate.
chris

eman
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
ray im from lake arthur and have a hook up for good meat let me know when u need some im offshore right now i have a smoker out her i try every week to some somthing differant to find out whats good at house.cheaper to try offshore i smoked ducks and pork butt last hitch this hitch brisket and rabbits.id like some hints on things to smoke i joind smoked meat fourm any pointer id appreciate.
chris
Look me up on smoking meat forums .com.
We have had members smoke everthing from kangaroo to cheetos.
we have a couple of guys here on this site who are members.