PDA

View Full Version : Cooking/Recipes Forum

Hackberry Hustler
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey guys what about a place to post ideas or recipes? I Know that many of us on here like to cook, lets share our favorite wild game and fish recipes!:grinpimp:

ScubaRu
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I know somebody in this place has a good Coubillon(sp), let have it!

Gerald
05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Sauce Piquante Adapted from: “Plucker” Clemount

This recipe takes a while to make. The first time I remember eating Sauce Piquante it was so good, I asked the person how he made it......that was in about 1980.

After this sauce is made, any of several kinds of meat can be added to complete the dish. For this recipe I will use fish, but other meats can include: chicken, beef, pork, venison (or other game), crawfish, shrimp, etc.

Servings......... About 8 people........... Or cool and freeze the extra.

Preparation Other Ingredients

· 6 med. onions, chopped - 1 28 oz. Can of diced tomatoes
· 2 Bell peppers, chopped - 3 12 oz. Cans of tomato paste
· 1 Cup of parsley, finely chopped - ½ Cup oil
· 4 Stalks of celery, chopped - ½ Cup flour
· 1 8 oz. Pack of mushrooms, sliced - ¼ Cup sugar
· ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped - 2 Tablespoons salt
· ½ Lemon, chopped - 1 Tablespoon Black pepper
· ½ Bunch of shallots, chopped
· ½ Toe garlic, finely chopped

Meat.......... About 3 lbs. (10 med. size pieces cut in half) of fish. Catfish can be used but it will fall
apart more that other fish. I prefer to use the firmer saltwater fish such as Red fish.

Cooking ............. All cooking times are minimum. Longer is better.

· Simmer diced tomatoes and jalapeno pepper 30 to 60 minutes.
· Then add mushrooms, lemon, bell pepper and celery to diced tomatoes. Simmer 30 minutes.
· Make a Roux with oil and flour.
· Add onions, garlic, shallots and parsley to Roux and sauté a few minutes.
· Add 3 or 4 cups boiling water to Roux, mix and simmer for 30 minutes.
· Combine tomatoes and Roux.
· Add salt and pepper.
· Add tomato paste and sugar. Simmer for at lease 45 minutes. Taste and seasons as desired.
· Add water, as needed. The sauce should be fairly thick. Cornstarch can be used to thicken.

If this is more sauce than needed for your meal, put desired amount into large skillet or pot. Freeze the extra for another meal.

· Bring sauce to a low boil, and add fish and spoon some sauce to cover fish. Cover and simmer 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness of fish.

Serve over rice.

Other Meats

Peeled shrimp and crawfish can be cooked the same as fish but only cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
Other meats should be browned in skillet, seasoned some and allowed to simmer 30 to 60 minutes in the sauce.
Season to taste.

LaAngler
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
this is a good idea, a recipes section! will add to list of "to do's"

CatDaddy
05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
the longer you cook the gravey (before you add the fish) the better it will end up...

Cook dat gravey long yea...

Hackberry Hustler
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
this is a good idea, a recipes section! will add to list of "to do's"

I was wondering about the recipes section any progress on this? :)

LaAngler
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
yes, progress for sure

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM
I love being from Louisiana we love to cook, eat, and shoot the s#$t, I'll be adding some recipe's, if ya'll are lucky enough and be good for santa I'll even add my jerkey recipe. LOL

InfamousJ
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I love being from Louisiana we love to cook, eat, and shoot the s#$t, I'll be adding some recipe's, if ya'll are lucky enough and be good for santa I'll even add my jerkey recipe. LOLcome on with it

Red Devil
05-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I love being from Louisiana we love to cook, eat, and shoot the s#$t, I'll be adding some recipe's, if ya'll are lucky enough and be good for santa I'll even add my jerkey recipe. LOL
Rob, you're not still putting Jack Links in ziplocs and calling it your special jerkey are ya? LOL

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Ok as promised
1/4 cup Tex Joy BBQ Seasoning Rub( do not subsitute Everything I tried is to salty)
1/4 cup Dale's Seasoning (found at Wal-Mart)
1/4 Cup Worchester Sauce
1tsp. Garlic Powder
1tsp. liquid smoke
1 Can Coke classic VIP
Mix all together and add meat I use a ziplock bag
Min.4 hrs. I like overnight it allows the coke to tenderize the meat.
I use a dehydrater thus the liquid smoke 4 hrs. should be done.

I like to use bottom round (less fat)

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I can't afford Jack Links thats why I make my own.LOL

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the sauce piquant recipe I went hunting in Texas and shot a doe and she must have raised a many young ones she was tough i guess it was the tomatoes that helped tenderize it. But it was good thanks alot. For a skinny guy I love to eat

Gerald
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Glad you liked the sauce piquant.

Most of things that I cook, I make in large batches [3 to 5 gallons]. I usually do the cooking when the wife goes to see the grandkids because it takes many hours to do all the cutting up and cooking......if it takes more than an hour to fix something, she does not want to be around.

I freeze the extra in about quart size container.....for later use. I do this for sauce piquant, jambalaya, vegetable soup, gumbo and spaghetti sauce. Anything that is cooked with a sauce, I will freeze the sauce.

For the Jambalaya.....I unfreeze one container and add about 2 cups water and when it gets to a boil, I add 1 cup rice and cook for about 18 minutes. The meal is ready to eat.

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
How big is the container, I have not mastered Jumbalaya yet i have to cheat I cook my rice first, I always end up with mushy rice or crunchy rice

flounder_smacker
05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
gerald when you make your roux how dark you make it for the sauce piquant?

Gerald
05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I usually make it med dark color. Maybe a little darker than this color.

Have you ever tried making a Microwave roux? I have tried this and it worked very well.

Micro Wave Roux

The absolutely best way to make a Roux is in a Microwave Oven. I don't expect to convince any die hard's cause I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't try it. I've been doing it for 15 years....

Put 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of oil in a large microwaveable bowl... Whisk good... Place in micro wave - cook on high for 4 minutes - Whisk , cook for 2 minutes - whisk, cook for 1 minute, whisk...keep micro waving and whisking for 1 minute intervals until it is almost the color you want then remove from oven but continue to whisk every few minutes until it cools. Remember, it will continue to darken even after removed from the oven, that's why I said "Almost the color you want" -Total cooking time about 10 to 12 minutes. You can then stir it in the pot with your seasoning vegetables that are already softened before putting the mixture in the stock.

If you do not need this much roux.......adjust amounts and time accordingly.

LittleRob
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey i planted some green beans this year and they took off, all I need is a good recipe, and not green bean cas.

Gerald
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
My green beans are growing great......the plants are 6 to 8' tall. They have been flowering for a couple weeks and I see some very small beans....then in a couple of days, the beans are gone.

Green Beans and Ham

Preparation

Cut up about 1 lb of fresh beans into 1” to 1.5” lengths
Cup up about ½ of a med onion….not to small of pieces.
Cut up about a cup of ham [pre-cooked] into fairly small pieces.

Cooking…….Stir often while cooking.

Put 3 or 4 TBS of margin in large skillet.
Melt butter, and sauté onions on high heat.
Add ham after onions are a little soft.
Add green beans after ham starts to simmer.
When the beans start to simmer, turn the heat down to med. Low.
Season with salt, black pepper, Tony Chachere’s (Original) and powder garlic.

Cover the skillet with a lid and cook about 4 minutes or until beans are soft.

Note: There should be some liquid in the skillet all the time….add more margin if needed.

Other variations: Sauté some cut up tomatoes along with the other stuff.
Top the beans and ham with a little grated cheese.

"W"
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Mr. Gerald ..... How about that Redfish you cook???? Care to show that one or share it??

Gerald
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Read to eat. Don't release the big ones.

flounder_smacker
05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
i make my green beans with potatoes. pretty simple. take some butter and some diced onions and about 5 strips of beacon and simmer that for about 5 mins. peel and cut up some new potatoes and cook them for about 15 mins with the onions and beacon. then put your green beans in with that after and cook about 10-15 mins more. season and eat up.

LittleRob
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks alot guys I love this thread, I do alot of things with my kids even cooking, flounder smacker are you the guys to learn flounder fishing from

Deadly D
05-13-2009, 04:43 PM
the longer you cook the gravey (before you add the fish) the better it will end up...

Cook dat gravey long yea...
At least a 12 pack:*****::*****:

LittleRob
05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Well there could be a problem with that measuring system, we have to ask 6 16oz., 12 12oz, 12 10oz, or 100 8oz, ponies

Deadly D
05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Ok rob this ones for you 12 16 oz
:*****::*****:

LittleRob
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Just made the roux in the microwave it worked perfectly and then made a shrimp stew, big mistake I couldn't get anyone back to work afterwards, my fault.

Big Lake Blondie
05-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Just made the roux in the microwave it worked perfectly and then made a shrimp stew, big mistake I couldn't get anyone back to work afterwards, my fault.

Any kind of Southern cooking done right does tend to have that affect...I know it does on the people I know...You have to alot a nap time post meal:D

LittleRob
05-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I am going to bring that up as a safety requirement an hour and a half safety nap time after lunch, I would agree on that I hope others will.

Big Lake Blondie
05-15-2009, 08:14 PM
If done correctly, this is a really good dish...If you don't want to use the spinach or the onions, no biggy...ain't gonna change the dish...we got it from the Redfish Grill...It was catfish; we substituted:D

Sweet Potato Redfish
1 8 or 9-ounce redfish fillet, trimmed as needed
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
4 ounces sweet potato crust (directions follow)
1 ounce clarified butter
Pinch Creole seasoning
Pinch salt and pepper
1½ ounces andouille cream drizzle (directions follow)
Chopped green onions

Sprinkle the redfish with salt and Creole seasoning. Spread the sweet potato crust on top of the fish.

In a hot skillet, add the clarified butter, then the fish, crust side up, to brown quickly. Remove fish carefully and place in another pan, with a little of the melted butter, if desired. Bake in hot oven, 450 degrees, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet. Do not turn fish. Don't over bake. When fish is cooked, crust should be nicely browned.

Sauté spinach in clarified butter or margarine and season with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Drain spinach and put in center of plate. Place redfish on top, allowing the spinach to be seen on either side of the fish. Drizzle the sauce around the fish and spinach.

Garnish the fish with chopped green onions.

Serves 1.

Sweet Potato Crust:

1¼ pounds roasted sweet potato flesh
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
3/8 teaspoon Creole seasoning
Roast (or bake) sweet potatoes. Peel and place the sweet potato flesh and remaining ingredients in mixer. Beat to incorporate.

Andouille Cream Drizzle:

½ pound andouille sausage, diced
1½ ounces vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
2 tablespoons honey
1 quart heavy (whipping) cream 3 ounces bourbon
3 tablespoons blonde roux
Salt, pepper

Sauté andouille in oil until lightly browned. Add Creole seasoning. Deglaze pan - add the bourbon, scraping pan, tip the pan and pour off the bourbon and juices, leaving the grease to pour off and discard. Return juices to pan and cook to reduce sauce slightly, watching carefully and stirring often. Add honey and cream. Add roux and let simmer until flour taste is gone. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: 3 quarts.

huntin fool
05-17-2009, 10:23 AM
HAWG TIED CHICKEN

For those who dont know what this is...well your missing out..
I'm just going to give breifly directions to cook..
if you want full email me..

1- buy chicken brest,bacon,jalpopinoes, toothpicks,caribean jerk chicken marinade.

2-pour caribean jerk into large ziplock,add the chicken breast.

3-allow chicken to marinade

4-once marinaded cut chicken in to little hunks..

5-stick tooth pick thru chicken, add jalppino on to tooth pic

6-take a small strip of bacon and wrap the chicken/jalopino

once complete put in a grilling basket and grill til ready (flip grilling basket several times)

thats just briefly..you can do the hawg tied with duck,goose, and my favortie speckcled trout!

*for the trout,duck,and goose, i have never had it with caribean jerk.

Big Lake Blondie
05-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Barbequed Shrimp-Fancy Version

1 t - Garlic, chopped
1 T - Butter
1 lb - Jumbo Louisiana shrimp
3 T - Worcestershire sauce
1 T - Crystal hot sauce
1 - Lemon, juice only
2 t - Creole seasoning
2 t - Cracked black pepper
1 C - Abita Amber beer
1 C - Butter, chilled and chopped
1 t - Fresh rosemary, minced
French bread, thickly sliced on the diagonal, warmed
Lightly sauté the garlic in the butter in a medium sauté pan. Add the shrimp and cook for
1 minute on each side. Increase the heat to high and add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice, Creole seasoning and cracked pepper. Add the beer and stir to deglaze the sauté pan. Cook until reduced by ½.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter one piece at a time, mixing until completely incorporated after each addition and cooking until the sauce is thickened enough to coat the spoon. Stir in the rosemary. Ladle into bowls. Serve with hot French bread.

Barbecued Shrimp-Simple Version

Ingredients:
48 large shrimp, heads on
4 tbs. Ground black pepper
½ tsp. Cayenne pepper
½ lb. melted butter
1-cup water
½ lb. melted butter
French Bread

Procedure:
Select 48 (approximately 2 ½ lbs.) 16-20-count shrimp with heads on and place in a shallow baking dish large enough to contain shrimp in a double layer. Add water and one half pound of butter. Sprinkle shrimp with black pepper and cayenne and cover with second half pound of butter. Place in a hot oven (375 to 400 degrees) and roast for ten minutes. Turn with a large spoon and roast for another ten minutes until shrimp are an even robust pink. Serve with extra loaves of French bread to mop up the delicious liquor created by the butter and roasted shrimp. Serves 4.

Another way you can have barbeque shrimp easy is pick up a pack of Louisiana brand BBQ Shrimp Sauce Mix and follow the instructions on the back...My husband uses this mix and loves it...

Suthrngntlmn
05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
This is an easy dish if you like cabbage rolls and a whole less time consuming. Deer Sausage can be substituted for the pork smoked sausage and comes out fantastic.

CABBAGE CASSEROLE

1 lb. ground meat
1 cup of raw rice
1 lb. smoked sausage sliced
1 can of tomato sauce
1 onion chopped
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 bell pepper chopped
1 head of cabbage
season to taste

Brown ground meat and sausage in skillet. Drain well. Add onions, bell
pepper, and season to taste. Cut up cabbage into small pieces. Add
cabbage and tomato sauce and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. Add
raw rice {washed and drained, leave small amount of water and salt.
Mix well, and then pour into a casserole dish, pack lightly.
Pour rotel on top of cabbage mixture.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1-2 hours or till cabbage and rice are cooked.

(If you really want to “Kick it up a Notch” use the Hot Rotel.)

killa k
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody got a recipe for bbq crabs?

Big Lake Blondie
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Killa K...Try this link; this is how we make them...We us TexJoy BBQ Seasoning cuz the other is a pain to find...:D

http://www.bluecrab.info/bbqcrabs.html

killa k
05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks Blondie...its on!!!

Big Lake Blondie
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
You might also like baked crabs...Clean um up just like the bbq way. You cut the legs off and put them in a greased glass baking dish. Melt lots of butter, about 4 sticks or so, and pour butter over crabs. Then season with your favorite cajun seasoning...Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes or the meat is white and crabs are slightly browned. Then beat everybody off the crabs and eat um all...:*****: They are really bad, but really good... Highly addictive...:D

Deadly D
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Killa K...Try this link; this is how we make them...We us TexJoy BBQ Seasoning cuz the other is a pain to find...:D

I might have to try that one tommorow. Going crabbing in the morning and hope to catch a good mess

Big Lake Blondie
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I might have to try that one tommorow. Going crabbing in the morning and hope to catch a good mess

Wish I was there! Ya'll have fun! :D

Hackberry Hustler
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM

DD, you or Killa try those bbg crabs yet? Blondie is always highjacking my recipes and givin em out to everyone (lol), but we thought yall would like that. they so good youll wonder why you ate em any other way. :D

Deadly D
05-20-2009, 02:19 PM
DD, you or Killa try those bbg crabs yet? Blondie is always highjacking my recipes and givin em out to everyone (lol), but we thought yall would like that. they so good youll wonder why you ate em any other way. :D
Im trying them tonight. Didnt catch alot yesterday butt got a good mess. You know that saying should have been here yesterday:*****:

Deadly D
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
OK tried them bbq crabs tonight . I want to tell you blondie that was some good stuff right there. I ate a dozen and half with a six pack and they were so good. thanks for that receipe.:)

Big Lake Blondie
05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Anytime...:D Glad to hear ya'll liked them...

killa k
05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
bbqed crabs on the menu TONITE!!!

killa k
05-24-2009, 12:16 AM

Finally had those crabs tonite, WHAT!?! Dat's some good eatin right dere!

Big_Country
05-25-2009, 01:50 AM
The more I read these threads the hugrier I am!!!!!

Red Devil
05-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Finally had those crabs tonite, WHAT!?! Dat's some good eatin right dere!
That's the ONLY way my other half will eat crabs. Straight off the pit baby.

Big Lake Blondie
05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
We're having some tonight with fresh grilled veggies out the garden...Gonna be laid up like a big dog after that...:D

Big Lake Blondie
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's another good one...These babies are GOOD!!!:eek:

CHARBROILED OYSTERS

32 oysters, on the half shell
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use Parmagiano Reggiano)
1/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
Heat the grill over medium-high heat.

Melt the butter with the garlic and pepper in a large skillet. Mix the Parmagiano and Romano cheeses in a small bowl.
Spoon some of the melted butter mixture onto each oyster. Add a pinch of the combined cheeses to each oyster, add a pinch of parsley, then place on the grill. Grill the oysters until they are hot,bubbly and puffed, about 8 minutes. YIELD: 8 servings.

swamp snorkler
05-31-2009, 10:23 AM
How big is the container, I have not mastered Jumbalaya yet i have to cheat I cook my rice first, I always end up with mushy rice or crunchy rice
Instead of mixing the rice just make you some almost jambalaya po boys. Cook a jambalaya however you like with whatever you like and when it is time to put the rice you take it off the fire and put it on some bread.

eman
06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
ingrediants:
1- stick Butter.
3 -8oz block cream cheese.
1-qt. heavy cream.
1-qt 1/2 &1/2 or milk.
6 cans- cambells cream of potato soup.
1/2 -lg.onion , ( diced fine)
3cans- Nibblet corn.(w/ liquid)
5 lbs- small to med shrimp (or more).
2lbs- lump crab meat.
2 cups- sliced mushrooms ( optional).

Directions:
Sautee onion in butter, Add mushrooms and shrimp. when shrimp are allmost done add cream cheese and stir till melted. add potato soup, corn and heavy cream. heat untill hot (not boiling) add crab meat and cook for 15 - 20 min. Stiring frequently so it doesn't stick.
(again do not boil) The 1/2 & 1/2 is to thin the soup if needed. ( or just use milk)
I use an unsalted season blend as everything in this recipee has salt.
The person who i got the recipee from only used a little cayanne to taste and put tobassco on the table.
This soup is great served over a slab of hot corn bread.:smokin:

eman
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Ingrediants:
1.5 lbs- pork cubed
1.5 lbs - beef cubed
1.5 lbs boneless chicken cubed
1 lb - sausage 1/2 " slices
6 oz. - andoullie diced
4 lg- onions , chopped
6 -stalks celery, Diced
2 -bell pepper , diced
Garlic - up to you how much
2 cups- chicken or beef stock
black and cayanne pepper to taste.
1 cup canola or peanut oil
2 lbs pasta ( your choice ) > I like plain spaghetti.

Directions:
Heat oil in Lg. pot. add meat and cook untill browned well. Remove meat from pot and set aside .
sautee all veggies except garlic.
Add the stock and cook till reduced by 1/3 to 1/2.
Add garlic and meat back into the pot. Stir well. season w/ what ever you like at this time.
add water to cover meat , Boil for at least 30 min , stirring often. Check seasoning and add the pasta. Add water to cover everything by around 1/2 inch. bring to a slow boil stirring frequently . cook till pasta is done.
( unlike jambalaya the amount of water is not
critical . Add if needed or scoop it out if you have to much.)
Note: I have cubed all my meat and put it in a pan and smoked it for an hour or so over heavy pecan smoke before browning it. This adds a great flavor.
Eating Good in the hood.
Bob:grinpimp:

LittleRob
06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Forget gaining 5lbs, I gonna get fat, I love this section. I'm always trying to think of something for dinner now I have alot of recipes, thanks guys and gals, I think my kids are burnt out on rice and gravy

eman
06-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Forget gaining 5lbs, I gonna get fat, I love this section. I'm always trying to think of something for dinner now I have alot of recipes, thanks guys and gals, I think my kids are burnt out on rice and gravy
Rob , If ya kids like baked beans i got a GREAT bean recipe thats real easy coming up.

eman
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Ingrediants:
10- strips bacon cut into 1" squares.
1/2- medium onion - diced.
1/2- bell pepper - diced
1- jalapeno - seeded and minced. (optional)
1- 55 oz can Bushs baked beans
1-8oz can pineapple chnks- drained
1- cup brown sugar -packed
1-cup ketchup
1- tbsp dry mustard ( optional)
6-oz andoullie- diced

Directions:
Fry bacon till cripy, remove from pan w/ slotted spoon and hold till later.
sautee veggies in bacon fat till tender.add andoullie and sautee another 2 min.

In large mixing bowl combine, Beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. stir in bacon pieces , andoullie and veggies.
If mix is a little dry add ketchup 1/4 cup at a time till moist.
pour into 12" x 9" foil bakeing pan.
You can smoke these beans on a smoker .
220deg - 250deg smoker for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.
If you smoke ,make sure the beans reach an internal temp. of at least 160 deg.

or you can cook in 350 deg. oven for 1 hr.

I usually do a double batch in a foil turkey roasting pan and freeze a bunch.
The beans freeze well and only improve in taste. freeze in 1 qt. ziplock bags and thaw in microwave.

NOTE: Dutch is a yankee and you may want to kick em up a bit?

Hebert
06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
dutchs beans are the best! even better if ya cook it in a smoker