PDA

View Full Version : New smoker

yak'em-n-stack'em
12-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Just got a little brinkman smoker for my birthday.

Wanting to smoke a brisket and pork roast this week.

I have access to pecan oak sweet gum walnut and hickory. As well as black cherry. I know all are good smoking wood according to different websites except the black cherry no one mentioned that

What do you guys recommend and what kinda time should I cook

Ray
12-24-2010, 02:47 AM
I like Pecan best, Hickory second. Never tried any Cherry, but it sounds good.
Smoke time depends on size of roast or brisket and internal temps of roast/brisket.
I love smoking Pork. Can't go wrong with Pork.
There is an injection/marinade/basting sauce called Lud's. It was made in Hackberry
till Rita hit, but is now made in Oberlin. See if you can find that up where you are.
I inject with Lud's, rub with Grub Rub and smoke about 2 hours for a med. sized Pork
roast, wrap with foil and cook another 2 to 3 hours.
My cooking temps are around 225 to 250 deg.

eman
12-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Pecan is great /Add a little bit of the black cherry to it (It is great for smoking).
Never heard of anyone using sweet gum .
Will be pulling the MES out the shed as soon as its light enough to see, Smoking a brisket and putting some smoke on a ham.
I smoke my brisket to 165° internal, wrap in foil w/ some beef broth and back on the smoker till 200° - 205° pull it from the smoker and let rest for at least one hour b4 slicing.
Going to make burnt ends Out of this whole brisket.
Butt is done the same way as a brisket except use apple juice in the foil w/ a butt.

gonzalesdave
12-24-2010, 10:22 AM
check out www.thesmokering.com (http://www.thesmokering.com)
great bbq website with alot of good info

eman
12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
check out www.thesmokering.com (http://www.thesmokering.com)
great bbq website with alot of good info
Or the one i belong to . www.smokingmeatforums.com (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com)

speck-chaser
12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
you gonna love dat austin.. Warning though, it gets addicting. You start thinking of just what all you can put on that smoker. I got a big ribey rack going right now.

Ray
12-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I work 2 weeks offshore.
I get home on Tuesday, Market Basket sales start on Wednesday.
I buy a couple of everything on sale in the meat box and start smoking on Thurs.
I need a day to prep the meat, then fill the pit/smoker on Thrus.
I vacuum pack everything individually so when we want something to eat, we just
pull a pack out of the freezer the night before to be ready to heat for lunch or supper.

Hebert
12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
cherry is excellent for smoking chicken/turkey

Jordan
12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Instead of using need beef broth or Apple juice, can you use a real heavy beer ??

Bluechip
12-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Instead of using need beef broth or Apple juice, can you use a real heavy beer ??

For what???? If it is to add to a brisket when you wrap in foil the answer is "Yes"...

Chicken or pork I would say "No"