PDA

View Full Version : Calcasieu river advice

DUCKGOGETTER
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Well guys i'm about ready to put the guns away and pick up a rod n reel. I'm a very big lacassine angler, and i have caught alot of fish out of there, but with the low water in the pool i'm looking for something else. I really never fished the river, but i really want to learn how to catch fish there. I'm not asking anyone for there secret spot i'm just looking for some advice on how to fish it. I would really appreciate any advice that ya'll can give.

Thanks, duckgogetter

yak'em-n-stack'em
01-05-2011, 09:11 AM
spinner baits are really good on the river, white Colorado blade

SaltyShaw
01-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I will talk to my uncle he has been tearing them up in there supposed to make a trip with him soon, I'll bring my hand held GPS and mark the hot spots we hit haha

DUCKGOGETTER
01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't want anybodys hot spots lol!!! I really appreciate it

LaAngler
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I always did well in the southern parts of the river using chartreuse shallow dive crankbaits, white spinnerbaits, and watermelon red zoom finesse worms. Live shrimp also works good, it helps to fish when the tide is falling and the barrier is open sometimes.

In the spring you can catch fish in the cuts coming out from the swamps. There seems to be a magic water temp with the light switch turns on. It's hard to break the 3-4 lb mark on bass.

blackmamba
01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey Bruce. Where's the best place to launch coming from Lafayette?

joshdomingue
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
get with huntin fool ..... that little fellow fishes the river like a maniac!!!!

Jedi Lure Tricks
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
hey duckgogetter.. series 3 strike king cranks are really good right now. i'm sold out of em at the shop.. the sexy shad colors are hot as is the good ol la shad bandit. doa shrimp are still catching some fish too.
i stay on top of what's hot now and next week. if ya want, swing by the shop and i'd be happy to pull out the map and show ya where to go and what to throw to help ya get on some fish.... it's my job! lol :D

DUCKGOGETTER
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Man jedi i sure appreciate it. I need to go check the shop out and pick some stuff up. I'll try to do that this week

Jedi Lure Tricks
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Man jedi i sure appreciate it. I need to go check the shop out and pick some stuff up. I'll try to do that this week

no problem buddy, happy to help. i'm usually there 12-6 ;)

Lake Chuck Duck
01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

There is a launch directly underneath the I-10 bridge. Where the lake and the river meet. If its still open that would be the easiest one for directions.

RODBENDER
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
For this time of the year, DEEP is the word. Find moving water, crankbaits are the big ticket. Chartreuse/blue, char./black, sexy shad one knockers fished super slow off points and dropoffs. The water is low so keep your eyes open for obstructions.

LaAngler
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM

probably the launch at the saltwater barrier at the end of mims road in westlake, you could launch under I-10 bridge but then have to cross through the locks. to fish upriver i would go to white oak park or launch into watermelon bay in moss bluff off of hwy 171 (don't know the name of the launch)

blackmamba
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks Bruce and LCDuck... Jedi, what's the name of your store? I'll have to spend all my money there when I go on your end

Jedi Lure Tricks
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks Bruce and LCDuck... Jedi, what's the name of your store? I'll have to spend all my money there when I go on your end

i work at The Tackle Box on Maplewood in Sulphur. swing on by! i always enjoy meeting fellow saltys and talkin shop!
and that launch in moss bluff that drops into watermelon bay is called the Theriot Road launch. it's a decent launch on a good strech of the river, it's a good spot and easy to find. there's also sam houston park launch and parkside nearby.

bdchristian
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I to am trying to learn the area and fish it. I am not sure if this will help but attached is a zip file called My Places.zip. when you unzip it the file my places.kmz can be imported into Google Earth. This is the launches I have located from my search. Thanks

inchspinner
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I think one of the earlier launches talked about above is WARD 8 Launch in LeBleau........off of 397....If you go North all the way to the end of 397 to the T....Take a right and with in 6 miles its on the left if I'm correct.....:)

Gerald
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I think one of the earlier launches talked about above is WARD 8 Launch in LeBleau........off of 397....If you go North all the way to the end of 397 to the T....Take a right and with in 6 miles its on the left if I'm correct.....:)

You are correct. Take 397 north from the Cameron/Chloe exit on I-10 [This is a little over a mile east of the I-210 exit]. Go north about 3 miles to where it runs into hwy 3059, take a right at the stop sign. The White Oak park [Ward 8 boat launch] is about a mile down the road.

The Theriot Road launch in Moss Bluff......to get there take hwy 171 north from I-10. Turn right at the light after crossing the Calcasieu river, this is Theriot rd. Go about a 1/2 mile and the launch is on the right.

The I-10 boat launch [on the east side of the tall bridge]......I would not launch anything but a small boat there. When you back into the water the trailer tires will fall off the end of the concrete. [at least that was the case 6 or 7 years ago...have not used it since then]. Keep the trailer next to the north side, there is [was ???] some sand or dirt there to keep the drop off to where it is not too bad.

As you can see there are many [I can think of 11] boat launches to choose from to fish this area. Those I listed above are FREE along with several others.

LPfishnTIM
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
strike king red eye shad is a good lure too, sexy shad, blue silver, gold black good colors! you can fish them shallow or deep and you can cover a lot of water and area fishing it fast.