PDA

View Full Version : Just want to say thanks...

killa k
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Took the kids out to Prien Lake this afternoon to put a few fish in the boat, which we did. Headed back to the 210 launch just before dark, had my #1 son hold the boat while the little ones and I went and got the truck. Somehow while I was waiting in line to back in, the bow line came off the boat and my 10 year old jumped in to try to put it back on. Before he could get it attached he had drifted past the end of the dock and was too far to throw the rope back. So there he is drifting out and he doesn't know how to drive the boat! I tried to yell directions to him but he couldn't hear/didn't understand what I was saying. I was getting ready for a long swim. Fortunately (here's where the thankyou comes in) a few guys that had just taken their boat out saw what was going on and re-launched and towed my little guy back in. When they got back I jumped in and pulled the boat around giving #1 a quick driving lesson while we pulled the boat in. Before we could even get to the trailer my good Samaritans were long gone. Hopefully you are SaltyCajuns, you should be...anyway.......THANKS!!!

Salty
07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Nice story, Killa. Glad everyone is safe.

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
good story, glad he is safe.

yall do any good like on trout?

killa k
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
After he came back in he said that it was the scardest he'd ever been, but that he almost got his pole back out to fish because, well he was out there. Too funny.

We kept a couple of reds that I just pulled off the grill, had about a 15" trout that came off when I was pulling him over the side of the boat, kersplash! and about 1,000 ladyfish (which the kids really liked catching).

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 10:10 PM
After he came back in he said that it was the scardest he'd ever been, but that he almost got his pole back out to fish because, well he was out there. Too funny.

We kept a couple of reds that I just pulled off the grill, had about a 15" trout that came off when I was pulling him over the side of the boat, kersplash! and about 1,000 ladyfish (which the kids really liked catching).

thats how i cooked our 2 reds, filleted seasoned,wrapped in foil, set em on the pit. (dad wasn't home so i couldn't fry em.) Austin said he loved it.

lady fish are all the way up by my house on the river. they're a blast on topwater,but i hate foolin with em.

congrats on the fish, glad all is alright!

Austin(boatman's son)
07-16-2009, 10:12 PM
they were good!!!!!!

killa k
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
my kids were disappointed when they would miss a ladyfish, so funny, I hate them things.
On the grilled reds, next time if you are cooking over charcoal, put them skin side down directly on the grill and lay the foil over the top, it will give them a good smoky flavor.

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
my kids were disappointed when they would miss a ladyfish, so funny, I hate them things.
On the grilled reds, next time if you are cooking over charcoal, put them skin side down directly on the grill and lay the foil over the top, it will give them a good smoky flavor.

you leave the scales on?

im still working on "perfectioning" the seasoning part...i tend to "over spice" sometimes :) but i still eat it

killa k
07-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Just on the reds, you eat the fish right off of there, makes its own little plate. Oh and score the fish before you season it and it will come off in bite size pieces and you get the seasoning spread evenly. Pour some melted butter over the filets and then get some redfish blackening seasoning and you can go crazy with that, its not as salty or spicy as tony's.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
you leave the scales on?

im still working on "perfectioning" the seasoning part...i tend to "over spice" sometimes :) but i still eat it

Hey fool, next time try some Mrs dash and lemon.:D

http://www.mrsdash.com/images/MadeWith/SB_original.gif

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Just on the reds, you eat the fish right off of there, makes its own little plate. Oh and score the fish before you season it and it will come off in bite size pieces and you get the seasoning spread evenly. Pour some melted butter over the filets and then get some redfish blackening seasoning and you can go crazy with that, its not as salty or spicy as tony's.

i spread melted butter on fillets, take redfish blackening season and cover them ( chef paul chrodomes?) and been putting some tonys aswell, throw on pit, cook until they look/taste done (like 20-30 mins depending on how hot pit is)

SULPHITE
07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Fool check out dis thread my man:

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397&highlight=creole

killa k
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
probably don't need to cook it so long, just until it starts to get flaky and if you think its too spicy, just leave off the tony's and don't forget the lemon.

huntin fool
07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
probably don't need to cook it so long, just until it starts to get flaky and if you think its too spicy, just leave off the tony's and don't forget the lemon.

the meat was flaky once i finished (it was perfect!) we used to put lemon juice but i found that it kinda tasted better w/o. one day i plan on cooking it on onion pedals with fillet on top

Gerald
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Fool this is for you

Barbecue Red Fish

When filleting the fish, leave the scales on. Sometimes I remove the “tail end” portion on larger fish and use the thicker part of the fish to Barbecue.

If fish is frozen, completely thaw the meat....maybe even warm up a little in the Micro.... Do not cook it.

Preparation

If the meat is ¾” or more thick, cut across the fillet down to the scales, every 1.25” to better expose the meat for cooking and seasoning.

Rinse and squeeze the fillets to remove any excess water and place on plate or pan.

Seasoning

Squeeze about 1/2 lemon (or use liquid concentrate--about 1/8 cup) over the fish.

Melt about ¼ cup of butter (or margarine) and pour over fish.

Sprinkle liberally, in the slits and surface, with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.

Sprinkle the same with Tony Chachere’s seasoning. (or with Paul Prudhommes’s “Seafood Magic”)

Allow seasoned fish to sit at room temperature, at least 15 minutes before cooking.

Basting Sauce

Mix all the same “Seasoning” ingredients (about ¼ to ½ cup in total) in a small bowl to use for basting or as a sauce while eating the fish.

Cooking Fish

Light a medium size amount of the coals and allow charcoal to start burning well.

Cook fish over medium hot fire for about 15 to 30 minutes. This depends on how hot the fire is and size & thickness of fish. Place thickest part of the fish over the hottest part of the fire.

Baste fish with sauce one or two times as needed to keep from drying out. If part of the fish is not over the fire, it may require turning the fish around for a couple of minutes to cook that part.

Do not turn fish over......It may fall apart.