PDA

View Full Version : when to plant bermuda?

Hebert
01-24-2011, 12:02 AM
when can I start planting bermuda here in SW LA? is early march too early?

southern151
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Typically, it's easier to plant in the daylight hours. I tried it at night once and, well, the neighbor's driveway had to be cut once a week after that!

Sorry man, 40 views and no responses. I figured maybe a response would help get more people involved.:confused:

Red Devil
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Go to Stines and look on the bags, it will tell you on the back. Pricey though.

wtretrievers
01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/whentoplant.html

wtretrievers
01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Oh.....& if you do sod always remember "green side goes up"! ;)

Gerald
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I would say after we start getting nights where the temperature stays above 55 deg you could plant the seeds. This could be late March. Check the 2 week weather forcast to be sure there is no cold weather coming.

Is your ground "broken up"? What about weeds, if there are a bunch......I would spray them with weed killer a couple of week before you plan to plant.

Does your yard need fertilizer? If so, put it out after you kill the weeds. Fertilizer needs to be out 3 or 4 weeks [and be rained on] before so it can do it's "thing".

Also fix any drainage problem areas now. It is bad to have low areas and have mow across that area. Time [and money] is well spent and you will be thankful as your yard matures.

Ray
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
When we planted it, we cut, bailed, then put out the hay with a planter.
I didn't know you could plant bermuda seeds...

speck-chaser
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
you should be fine planting in March. You may want to mix sand or slow release fert. with you seeds in your spreader. The seeds are pretty small,so you dont want to open your spreader and lose all of your seed in the first 10 ft. Bermuda will germinate pretty quick.

Hebert
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
I would say after we start getting nights where the temperature stays above 55 deg you could plant the seeds. This could be late March. Check the 2 week weather forcast to be sure there is no cold weather coming.

Thanks...I'll watch for the 55+ degree nights. hopefully we dont have another extended winter.

BA1125
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I would wait till middle of March. It would probably be a good idea to throw out some pelletized lime about a week before you seed. You can buy bermuda seed at a feed store a whole lot cheaper than at Stines, Lowes, or Home Depot.

If you happen to do a pH test on your soil you want to be between 6.0-7.5, this is the optimum pH level for growing grass.

Hebert
01-27-2011, 09:53 PM
whats the lime for..pH? or does it fertilize?

wtretrievers
01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
whats the lime for..pH? or does it fertilize?

PH
Also the earlier the better on Lime, be good to start lime now "if you need to" take a soil sample & have tested easy to do

BA1125
01-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Lime will give any yard that darker/greener look. Everytime it rains, the rain causes your soil to become acidic due to the acid in the rain, lime will bring you back to the non acidic state. The soil in our area is very acidic. It is recommended at a minimum to lime 2x a year, once in the spring and once in the fall followed up with a good winterizer for the winter months; but I like to lime 4 times a year (every quarter), plus the winterizer and rye grass in the winter. I have the only dark green grass on the street lol...

Shawn Braquet
01-28-2011, 02:19 PM
i like my grass dead, less to mow:smokin: