PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke maintanence verses etec

Nasty
07-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I read the etec propaganda! They claim the 4 strokes are much more expensive to maintain than their etec. For those who own a 4 stroke Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda, what is the real cost of maintanence for these engines? I plan on doing the oil changes myself. How much does the filter and oil cost? Oil for etec?

fishinpox
07-19-2009, 06:29 AM
I read the etec propaganda! They claim the 4 strokes are much more expensive to maintain than their etec. For those who own a 4 stroke Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda, what is the real cost of maintanence for these engines? I plan on doing the oil changes myself. How much does the filter and oil cost? Oil for etec?

more expensive? i change my oil 1 time a year mabey twice opposed to spending money every week to add oil to my boat

Ray
07-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I was skeptical about buying a 4 stroke because I thought it would be a mess to
change out the oil. But there is an external tube that directs the oil outside the
engine instead of draining inside. If you look at the maint. schedule on the 4
stroke, it isn't that bad. I was looking at the ad's in the magazines instead of
actually looking at the engine itself.
I like doing my own maint., I had a 2 stroke Mercury 200 for 13 years and had
very little break downs, but I changed the oil in the foot, spark plugs and water
pump impeller every year as well as de-carbed the engine. In that 13 years I
only had 1 power pack go out and the oil injection pump go out on me(34 miles
offshore).
Call me in 13 more years and I will let you know the difference with between it
and my new 4 stroke.

all star rod
07-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I owned a HPDI and to do the yearly service is about $25-30 less than the 4 stroke I have now. Also the oil for the ETEC motors are more than Yamalube.

cmdrost
07-20-2009, 03:08 PM
send rosska a PM. He's got a e-tec on his triton.