PDA

View Full Version : Erase hard drive

tumbleweed
03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
My laptop will no longer boot up. It just keeps cycling through the screen. It gave me an error code, I looked it up and it needs a some work. I am just going to buy a new one. Does anybody know how to erase the hard drive if the computer will not boot up? I don't want to set it on fire or anything, I want to donate it but I am paranoid about my personal information. Any help would be appreciated.

Salty
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Just send it to me and I'll take care of it for ya. :cool:

PaulMyers
03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Best thing to do is just pull the hard drive out and smash it with a hammer.

Sent from my EVO

tumbleweed
03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Paul, that is sort of what I think I have to do. I would not mind getting the files of the hard drive, there isn't many, but it would be nice. Anybody know how? Or want to help me and make a few bucks.

PaulMyers
03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I could do it for you easy but I'm 2 hours away. Do you have a desktop computer? If so, after you pull the drive out of the laptop you might be able to connect it to your desktop and just copy the files. If both drives are SATA or IDE it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have a couple of adapters that let me connect SATA or IDE drives to my computers via a USB cable. You should be able to buy the adapter at almost any "real" computer store. If all else fails, send it to me and I'll do it for you no charge.

This is the type of adapter I am referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102&cm_re=IDE_to_USB_adapter-_-12-156-102-_-Product

longsidelandry
03-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I could do it for you easy but I'm 2 hours away. Do you have a desktop computer? If so, after you pull the drive out of the laptop you might be able to connect it to your desktop and just copy the files. If both drives are SATA or IDE it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have a couple of adapters that let me connect SATA or IDE drives to my computers via a USB cable. You should be able to buy the adapter at almost any "real" computer store. If all else fails, send it to me and I'll do it for you no charge.

This is the type of adapter I am referring to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102&cm_re=IDE_to_USB_adapter-_-12-156-102-_-Product
This would be by far the easiest way to do it. If you're planning on being in the Lafayette area soon, let me know. I work in Lafayette and can also hook you up.

tumbleweed
03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Paul,
I was able to get the files of the computer, thanks for the advice. I must admit, it was easier than I thought it would be. I am a software guy, I am lost when it comes to hardware. I got the files transfered and smashed the hardrive. Thanks for the offers of help, paul and longside.

PaulMyers
03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Glad it worked out for you. :-)

Sent from my EVO

booyagasha
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
DBAN download, burn , and run in bios

allenmark
04-19-2012, 04:27 AM
In order to remove the hard drive data completely, you need to use the automatic wipe harddrive (http://www.wipeharddrive.org) tool which will easily remove the harddrive in no time.

Lake Chuck Duck
04-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Paul, I recently got a new desktop computer. I need to get all of my music and pictures off the old one. Would this tool be the best way for that or should I just buy an external hard drive to keep my music and all that?

PaulMyers
04-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Paul, I recently got a new desktop computer. I need to get all of my music and pictures off the old one. Would this tool be the best way for that or should I just buy an external hard drive to keep my music and all that?
Bring it to me and I'll back it up for you. You will then be able to transfer it to the new computer after I get it backed up.

External hard drives are good but usually much slower. I would just add another internal hard drive. I have 3.5 Terabytes of storage in my main box, 1 Tb is dedicated for backing up all data.

Give me a call and we can talk about what option would be best for you.

Lake Chuck Duck
04-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Will do thanks buddy.

PaulMyers
04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Will do thanks buddy.
Got my number?

Lake Chuck Duck
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM
yep

Goosepond Monster
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM