PDA

View Full Version : ROUX

eman
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Does anyone pre make there roux for gumbo?
I have to make a big roux (5 c flour & 5 cup oil).
Would be alot easier to make on my stove and transport than to do over a fire..
If anyone does this please explain the way you do it .
Thanks , Bob

mstulb
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
When we go camping I bring my own Roux, just easier than making over the fire..

eman
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I know that it can be made at home but when i set up to cook do i heat the roux add the veggies then liquid just like i was starting from scratch?

booyagasha
03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Does anyone pre make there roux for gumbo?
I have to make a big roux (5 c flour & 5 cup oil).
Would be alot easier to make on my stove and transport than to do over a fire..
If anyone does this please explain the way you do it .
Thanks , Bob

its all in your whip game...whip game must be proper..lol..whisk and dont let it burn-----would be easier to just prepare it and keep it in the ice box til you need it.

secret told me me by others...let it turn it's darkest black/brown OFF THE FIRE..... so just about when you think your roux is good, take it off the flame about 1 1/2 -2 minutes while continuing to whisk...add onions and garlic...refrigerate

eman
03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks,
i can make a good dark roux , But what i am trying to understand is When i go to use the roux, I will have a bowl of rouux an a few gallons of the trinity.
Do i heat the roux before adding the veggies or do i cook the veggies then add the roux. never used a pre made roux?

Bluechip
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks,
i can make a good dark roux , But what i am trying to understand is When i go to use the roux, I will have a bowl of rouux an a few gallons of the trinity.
Do i heat the roux before adding the veggies or do i cook the veggies then add the roux. never used a pre made roux?

I always cook the veggies down some then add my roux and game on...I have also added the roux with the veggies at the same time but it always seemed to want to cook the roux a little more than I wanted....

I'm sure there will be some professional's come a long soon and tell you this is completely wrong but they don't call me the camp cook for nothing.:smokin:

booyagasha
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I always cook the veggies down some then add my roux and game on...I have also added the roux with the veggies at the same time but it always seemed to want to cook the roux a little more than I wanted....

I'm sure there will be some professional's come a long soon and tell you this is completely wrong but they don't call me the camp cook for nothing.:smokin:

sauteed the veggies first.....then add the roux.

also i like to throw in veggies when i want to cool my roux down..cooks/softens the veggies , and at the same time stops the cooking process..

same thing goes with crawfish....turn the pot off, and throw the corn in whiile u let them soak, 18-22 minutes and you're good to GO

meaux fishing
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I always cook the veggies then add the roux if Im using premade roux. I also let the veggies cook in the roux for a few minutes before adding the liquid

simplepeddler
03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Yep,

I like to make roux about once a week......sits on the stove or in the fridge.
I just spoon in the amount needed to get what consistency I want.

I can add a teaspoon full to a pot of redbeans of spaghetti or a couple of cups to a gumbo.

eman
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for da help!
I got to do 5 cups oil and 5 flour , be alot easier to do ahead of time

Dink
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
E-man.....I've heard of baking the Roux when making a big batch......but I don't see how its possible, several hear of that?

eman
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Yea tim , i've heard of baking the flour to brown it (no oil roux)
I tried the roux out the fridge tonight and it worked great.

davethefish1
03-29-2011, 10:42 PM
there's also a microwave roux that you can make with 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil for 8 minutes doing at 1 minute intervals and stirring good each time, comes out pretty good. but i don't know about 5 cups flour and 5 cups oil. i don't have a big enough container, i only have an 8 cup pyrex glass measuring cup.

Gerald
03-30-2011, 01:33 AM
When I am going to use a roux.....

When the roux is the right color I cut off the heat and dump in the onions and other veggies to cook them. I usually also add some "liquid stock" from the meat I am cooking or add some water to thin out the roux some and cool it down, if needed.

I would think you could do this at home and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. Put the "roux & veggies" mix in a few zip lock bags after it cools some for easy transporting.

Then when you get all your meat "browned"...... just add the bags of "roux mix" and you are almost done with the cooking.

Don't forget the Okra....... IMO, a gumbo must have okra in it.

Gerald
03-30-2011, 01:43 AM
I saved this information a while back and it does work well for making a roux.

Micro Wave Roux

The absolutely best way to make a Roux is in a Microwave Oven. I don't expect to convince any die hard's cause I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't try it. I've been doing it for 15 years...

Put 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of oil in a large microwaveable bowl... Whisk good... Place in micro wave - cook on high for 4 minutes - Whisk , cook for 2 minutes - whisk, cook for 1 minute, whisk...keep micro waving and whisking for 1 minute intervals until it is almost the color you want then remove from oven but continue to whisk every few minutes until it cools. Remember, it will continue to darken even after removed from the oven, that's why I said "Almost the color you want" -Total cooking time about 10 to 12 minutes. You can then stir it in the pot with your seasoning vegetables that are already softened before putting the mixture in the stock.

meaux fishing
03-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I saved this information a while back and it does work well for making a roux.

Micro Wave Roux

The absolutely best way to make a Roux is in a Microwave Oven. I don't expect to convince any die hard's cause I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't try it. I've been doing it for 15 years...

Put 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of oil in a large microwaveable bowl... Whisk good... Place in micro wave - cook on high for 4 minutes - Whisk , cook for 2 minutes - whisk, cook for 1 minute, whisk...keep micro waving and whisking for 1 minute intervals until it is almost the color you want then remove from oven but continue to whisk every few minutes until it cools. Remember, it will continue to darken even after removed from the oven, that's why I said "Almost the color you want" -Total cooking time about 10 to 12 minutes. You can then stir it in the pot with your seasoning vegetables that are already softened before putting the mixture in the stock.
Ive made one in the microwave before...works good