PDA

View Full Version : Fish story and a half...

Nasty
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Yesterday, my brother in law along with two buddies went to fish the Mermentau jetties. He swears the following is true: They dropped the anchor near the jetties. But, didn't get a solid hook yup. He began tugging on the rope and felt a big tug that rocked the entire boat (18ft xpress jon boat). The boat began to shake alot. Then all of a sudden a monster ray surfaced right under the boat. He claimed it was wider than the boat and the flippers were throwing water in the boat and shaking it. Needless to say they were crapping! The ray then dropped down in the water and began pulling the boat out to the Gulf. It was pulling so hard it began throwing water over the bow and pulling the bow downward. They were really crapping now. They were frantically looking for a knife to cut the rope. They found one and cut the rope. He said there was so much tension that when he barely put the knife on the rope it snapped like a twig. What a story! I wish I was there! I guess he is telling the truth. Thought I would share it. Anyone ever heard a story like this before? He should of thrown the boat in reverse and wear that ray out and pull it in. But, I guess it was pretty darn scary.

Finfeatherfur
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Big N-

I doubt he is telling you a fish story, only because I have seen it before. Not on my boat, but on a boat that was anchored next to mine about 4 years ago. The guys were fishing when the boat suddenly spun sideways, knocked two of them over, then began moving at a good clip. The anchor rope was hooked by a large ray, and came close to having water over the bow. Their rope was cut to free them and they were very shaken up after the ordeal! I can only imagine a 18' Express!

dbarham
07-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Yesterday, my brother in law along with two buddies went to fish the Mermentau jetties. He swears the following is true: They dropped the anchor near the jetties. But, didn't get a solid hook yup. He began tugging on the rope and felt a big tug that rocked the entire boat (18ft xpress jon boat). The boat began to shake alot. Then all of a sudden a monster ray surfaced right under the boat. He claimed it was wider than the boat and the flippers were throwing water in the boat and shaking it. Needless to say they were crapping! The ray then dropped down in the water and began pulling the boat out to the Gulf. It was pulling so hard it began throwing water over the bow and pulling the bow downward. They were really crapping now. They were frantically looking for a knife to cut the rope. They found one and cut the rope. He said there was so much tension that when he barely put the knife on the rope it snapped like a twig. What a story! I wish I was there! I guess he is telling the truth. Thought I would share it. Anyone ever heard a story like this before? He should of thrown the boat in reverse and wear that ray out and pull it in. But, I guess it was pretty darn scary. I just put my rubba boots on!:*****:

Hebert
07-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I just put my rubba boots on!:*****:

shiet...I had to break out my waders...:*****:

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
shiet...I had to break out my waders...:*****:

heck i gotta go get my pirogue..gettin deep up in here!

Jordan
07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
getting in the boat as we speak..lol

"W"
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I buy it.....

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:20 PM
i beleive it, just dont understand how a ray would get hung on an anchor rope:confused:

Nasty
07-26-2009, 08:53 PM
My understanding is that the anchor hooked the ray somewhere on its body. I checked a website out and it said a sting ray can grow 6ft long and 6.5 ft wide and wiegh 760 lbs.

CatDaddy
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I beleive it, I had a catfish do that to my boat once. I had my anchor laying on the deck of my boat and some blood got on it and the sun baked it in, i got to my spot and anchored out, well a catfish took to it like white on rice.. Drug me about a quarter mile down the intracoastal

Salty
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I beleive it, I had a catfish do that to my boat once. I had my anchor laying on the deck of my boat and some blood got on it and the sun baked it in, i got to my spot and anchored out, well a catfish took to it like white on rice.. Drug me about a quarter mile down the intracoastal

OK, I bit on the ray story but this is a bit much. Cat, did he swallow the anchor? :eek:

CatDaddy
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
OK, I bit on the ray story but this is a bit much. Cat, did he swallow the anchor? :eek:

He tried,,, I set the anchor on him quick tho, hooked him in the pallet. I got quick reflexes like dat...

matt wahl
07-27-2009, 03:32 AM
All I can say is F### wadefishing ...Not doing it anymore!

LittleRob
07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Save your watches cause you boots are all ready covered in doo doo

LittleRob
07-27-2009, 06:03 AM
I use to hydro slide behind some of the specks W would catch but we stopped doing that cause it just wears the fish down to much.

Suthrngntlmn
07-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Time to put on the floaties and nose plugs....:*****:

Deadly D
07-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I use to hydro slide behind some of the specks W would catch but we stopped doing that cause it just wears the fish down to much.
You know you aint right for that one man:*****::*****:

Zachary Boy
07-27-2009, 10:14 AM
We were coming in from an offshore trip a few years ago and near Belle Pass we went thru some kinda stingray migration . They were so thick you could have walked across the Gulf. I haven't surf fished since that day....

jpeff31787
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
i hate frikin rays! Probably because I know little about how to handle them. That must of been pretty frikin scary/cool at the same time

CatDaddy
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
That catfish that I caught with the anchor was so big that I used the catfish head for a chicken coup.

Had to bring it in Mallard Bay to turn it around so i could tow it to the dock...

Deadly D
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
That catfish that I caught with the anchor was so big that I used the catfish head for a chicken coup.

Had to bring it in Mallard Bay to turn it around so i could tow it to the dock...
now your giving out your holes:*****::*****:

dbarham
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I use to hydro slide behind some of the specks W would catch but we stopped doing that cause it just wears the fish down to much. you must be smaller than W:grinpimp:

LaBow
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
We were coming in from an offshore trip a few years ago and near Belle Pass we went thru some kinda stingray migration . They were so thick you could have walked across the Gulf. I haven't surf fished since that day....

something like this

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/raymigration.asp

elebouef
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM

So you were the one towing that big catfish in Mallard Bay. We were in the tug boat that offered to help but you said that you had it under control.;)

huntin fool
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
something like this

:eek: lets go wade in the middle of that!! might have some luck :shaking:

LittleRob
07-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Ok ya'll want a fish story, here ya go I limited out and W caught a limit of 7 lb trout beat that

Zachary Boy
07-28-2009, 07:47 AM
something like this

Wow Labow, thanks for that link. I have never been able to describe this phenomenon(spell check is disabled) but that is exactly what I saw. Cow-nosed Rays, who would have thunk it? We catch a lot of "stingers" in Lake Raccourci. I just cut my line off ,I don't want to get that close to that barb. I hear they are good eating but I'm not putting them in MY box.

CatDaddy
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
So you were the one towing that big catfish in Mallard Bay. We were in the tug boat that offered to help but you said that you had it under control.;)

YEAP... I remember that...Sure is a small world

LaBow
07-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow Labow, thanks for that link.

i have snopes on my home page, love it. anytime an unbelieveable story or pic gets on the net, its not long before they are on it. some turn out to ne true and others not.