PDA

View Full Version : big white trout?

speckdaddy
07-26-2009, 08:09 PM
hey guys, hearin rumors of a 7pound 2 ounce white trout caught at grand isle coupla weeks ago . any info?anyone heard the same?

Hopedale Hustler
07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
thats a monster...i think somebody caught a 5 at the rodeo..but that is huge..

speckdaddy
07-26-2009, 08:14 PM
thats a monster...i think somebody caught a 5 at the rodeo..but that is huge..
yep i dunno if its true or not. i heard the guys gettin it mounted. i just wanna know if them whites get that big.maybe sumone has a pic

"W"
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
It was 5lbs

Hopedale Hustler
07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
ya bro this dude had a monster at the rodeo...but 7 would be amazing..

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
i had never caught a white trout til today!!! im assuming it was a white trout...no specks on body,but looked exactly like one (fangs,fins)...bout 13 incher...i throwed it back

Ducktrickster
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
i had never caught a white trout til today!!! im assuming it was a white trout...no specks on body,but looked exactly like one (fangs,fins)...bout 13 incher...i throwed it back

Caught 2 the other day with no spots but they were specks.....bout 13 inchers also....i throwed them in the skillet.

speckdaddy
07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
ooooo them boys fry up good fool!!!!! gotta eat em the same day tho. they tend ta go bad quick

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Caught 2 the other day with no spots but they were specks.....bout 13 inchers also....i throwed them in the skillet.

this one had like that croaker coloring to it....croaked aswell,had scales...not speck slime

meaux fishing
07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Look at the state records....its possible biggest is 11

speckdaddy
07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Look at the state records....its possible biggest is 11

thats a big ol sonof a biatch. i just wanna know if sumone caught a big un.

BIG-PAPA
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
one night out of eugene island i caught ten white trout all over 5 pounds...very possible!

meaux fishing
07-26-2009, 08:33 PM
thats a big ol sonof a biatch. i just wanna know if sumone caught a big un.

me too....I would love to see a pic of a 7lb white trout....really cant imagine it

Ducktrickster
07-26-2009, 08:34 PM
this one had like that croaker coloring to it....croaked aswell,had scales...not speck slime

yellowfins=sandy=white trout=supper

speckdaddy
07-26-2009, 08:34 PM
yellowfins=sandy=white trout=supper
mmmmmmmmm good !!!!

Reel Bender
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I assume you are referring to what we call GulfTrout.

killa k
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM

One of my kids caught something like that in the shootout. Did it have a trout mouth or a croaker mouth with trout teeth? I was reading the other day that there are actually like 20 different croaker species. We catch mostly Atlantic Croaker here, long body, bronze colored with 9 spines on the front dorsal fin. I know that I have caught a few other species in the lake as well, that sounds more like what you caught.

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
One of my kids caught something like that in the shootout. Did it have a trout mouth or a croaker mouth with trout teeth? I was reading the other day that there are actually like 20 different croaker species. We catch mostly Atlantic Croaker here, long body, bronze colored with 9 spines on the front dorsal fin. I know that I have caught a few other species in the lake as well, that sounds more like what you caught.

if i remeber correctly it had trout mouth...but like the coloring, looked like a croaker does (purple/pink when sun hits it)

Hopedale Hustler
07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
like this Fool

Deadly D
07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
if i remeber correctly it had trout mouth...but like the coloring, looked like a croaker does (purple/pink when sun hits it)
Thats a sandy buddy. Mom had a good time

meaux fishing
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
did it look like this?

huntin fool
07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
did it look like this?

yup!!!
thats it!

Montauk17
07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Those white trout taste great fryed up,caught hundreds of them in vermillion bay last year.

meaux fishing
07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
yup!!!
thats it!

Thats a white trout then...

meaux fishing
07-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Those white trout taste great fryed up,caught hundreds of them in vermillion bay last year.

Yep...and no limit catch all you want to clean

Hopedale Hustler
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
found out from a friend at the feaux
pas rodeo that there was a near 7 and 1/2 lb. white trout caught..not exactly sure if its true i heard it by word of mouth...also that a 9 lb. speck was caught...

fishinpox
07-27-2009, 08:04 AM
i caught pretty big white trout before but never 7 lbs myself. the block 69 rigs in venice hold specks and white trout easily 7 + lbs. in my opinion white trout taste even better than specks if fried right away . if you freeze them dont do it in a bag of water , seal them with a FOOD SAVER and no water because they will turn to mush

speckdaddy
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
i caught pretty big white trout before but never 7 lbs myself. the block 69 rigs in venice hold specks and white trout easily 7 + lbs. in my opinion white trout taste even better than specks if fried right away . if you freeze them dont do it in a bag of water , seal them with a FOOD SAVER and no water because they will turn to mush
really? ive always heard it dont matter what ya do to em, even vacuum seal em, they turn ta mush.i just fry em that night

fishinpox
07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
really? ive always heard it dont matter what ya do to em, even vacuum seal em, they turn ta mush.i just fry em that night

uasally i dont mess with them in the summer . but in the winter ice dosnt melt as much in the chest so by keepen em cold on ice but not letting them sit in water before and after cleaning does help alot then vacuum seal them i have no problems with them. the only problem i have with em is you get so caught up in catch em every cast for a couple of hours then you have to clean 200 12-14 ich sand trout which sux in the winter yuo gotta do what you gotta do

speckdaddy
07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
uasally i dont mess with them in the summer . but in the winter ice dosnt melt as much in the chest so by keepen em cold on ice but not letting them sit in water before and after cleaning does help alot then vacuum seal them i have no problems with them. the only problem i have with em is you get so caught up in catch em every cast for a couple of hours then you have to clean 200 12-14 ich sand trout which sux in the winter yuo gotta do what you gotta do
amen ta that pox i got on em this past january and omg, my dad in law wouldnt stop throwin em in the box. had a bunch ta clean. them white trout days are few and far between(unless ya clean the whole mess ya self):grinpimp:

southern151
07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
We caught some a while back and I just mixed em in with my specks. I guess that's my ignorance. I don't think I froze em before before I fried em but can't remember. I know it was all excellent though. Do you guys soak your trout in the fridge prior to freezing?

Salty
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Does a white trout in the 3 lb range fight as good as a speck?

southern151
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I enjoyed catchin em. We were in Seabrook with the tide flying out and wore em all out!

fishinpox
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
i guess it all depends on the fish how hard can a 3 lb trout really fight? but what i do know is they(white trout) are very agressive they are savages a 1 lb whitey striking a soft plastic feels like a 3 lb fish until you reel em in and see how small he is!!! the big whites we catch in ponchatrain and at the rigs/ islands in venice are footballs!!:eek:

speck-chaser
07-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I caught what I thought was a speck without spots this past friday,but now that Im hearing how big the white trout really get,it might have been a white trout. It was about 20 inches long. We did catch about 34 12 to 14 inch white trout,but I thought that was about as big as they got. The fish looked just like a speck with the 2 fangs and everything. as far as eating them,I eat as much as I can right away,and give the rest away. I dont usually like to freeze any of my fish. Kinda gives me an excuse to go back and get some more.

fishinpox
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM