PDA

View Full Version : Whats your scariest moment on the water

Jordan
07-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Whats everyone's scariest moment they had/seen on the water ? Mine was this past weekend when coast guard was pulling a 24' champion on plane... that guy looked white as the side of his boat.

jpeff31787
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I was in a company work boat about 26-28 feet long with twin 250 yamies going up the good ole miss. river. Well we catch up with the big crew boat proabably 100ft long, and he's pushing 30 knots The WAKE behind that thing was ENORMOUS!! Probably 20-25ft high. I thought I was going to see the bottom of the river whenever we'd go down them.. not joking lol There were about 5 other boats with us and they were all bigger than ours and we were all going just fast enough to keep us from being pushed on top of the rocks. But man I've never seen wakes that big in my life. Not REAL REAL scary but pretty intense. BTW I've heard the US Enterprise cant hit 70 knots, imagine that wake. Look it up.

Jordan
07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
friggin skyscraper wakes

jpeff31787
07-27-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah dude.. hate to be behind that thing

I heard when 9/11 happened they activated it and they got it up that fast

cmdrost
07-27-2009, 09:30 AM
2 times, both involve bad lightning.

Got stuck in a bad summer storm when little with my dad when skiing.

Other was offshore, touched outriggers and they shocked me, they were so charged up. Thought we were toast.

Zachary Boy
07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
My experience was in Venice,La. We were about 12 miles down river when the FOG set in. It was high noon at 11:45. It was 'pea-soup', couldn't see 20'.. I tried to wait it out but about 3:00 PM decided to try to make it back to 'the jump'. I hugged the east bank all the way back and was willing to ditch my boat if neccessary to save me and my passengers. Well, come time to cross the river when the big ships were seeing us on radar and blowing their horns. We could not see them at all. When we finally made it to the marina I thanked the Good Lord and swore to him I would never make that mistake again.....Forgot to add that we took water over the front of my 21' bay boat about 3 times crossing the huge boat wakes, thank God for self-bailing boats as at one point we were ankle deep in water at the center console....About a month later a friend asked me if I wanted to make a 'night-run' down the river to fish the Sandy Point rigs. My question was "You have got to be kiddin me huh". He wasn't and THEY went...

jpeff31787
07-27-2009, 11:06 AM
My experience was in Venice,La. We were about 12 miles down river when the FOG set in. It was high noon at 11:45. It was 'pea-soup', couldn't see 20'.. I tried to wait it out but about 3:00 PM decided to try to make it back to 'the jump'. I hugged the east bank all the way back and was willing to ditch my boat if neccessary to save me and my passengers. Well, come time to cross the river when the big ships were seeing us on radar and blowing their horns. We could not see them at all. When we finally made it to the marina I thanked the Good Lord and swore to him I would never make that mistake again.....Forgot to add that we took water over the front of my 21' bay boat about 3 times crossing the huge boat wakes, thank God for self-bailing boats as at one point we were ankle deep in water at the center console....About a month later a friend asked me if I wanted to make a 'night-run' down the river to fish the Sandy Point rigs. My question was "You have got to be kiddin me huh". He wasn't and THEY went...

thats pretty scary i'd have to say!! One time we were in the fog and it was so thick, I couldn't catch gps signals, but i was in a calm bayou in the marsh so we waited it out

LaAngler
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
i can't decide whether mine was a severe squall offshore or gettin stopped by LDWF in lake charles.....:spineyes:

Jordan
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
tell us both stories !!!

LittleRob
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
:eek::eek:I took a friend of mine out to White lake he said he knew his way around, well he sucks we got lost ended up in Grand Lake with 20 mph south wind in a 17' aluminum boat, my bilge pump didnot stop waves coming over the bow, and my buddy who's a Marine was laughing the whole time, he only took it serios when I told him we where down to 1/4 of a tank. So conclusions Marines are crazy and never leave hom without your GPS. That is in a joking manner about the Marines.

bigdog
07-27-2009, 12:14 PM
the scariest would have to be working on a Hopper Dredge on the Columbia river bar. the average wave hight was 10 ft but, when the wind kick up the wave hight could of have went to 24 - 32 ft.:(

http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/Picture_gallery/weather_rough_seas/40roughseascolumbiariverbar.jpg

http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/Picture_gallery/weather_rough_seas/01outboundonroughbar.jpg

whunter29
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I have had so many scary moments its hard to list them all. I was fishing sacalait with my father in whisky bay and had a branch fall out of a tree that landed right behind me and dented the aluminum on the boat. When I was twelve I got thrown out of my fathers boat in the middle of Dubassion lake. My fault my father went to get truck and I was suppose to stay at the boat launch and put boat on trailer. I instead went out to the middle of the lake and proceded to do donuts. All was fine until I found myself in the water and the boat going around me in circles with a thirty horse Johnson on it and a full tank of gas. I had to swim out of its path and to safety. Another time I was working for a survey company and we were down the Mississippi river out of venice in a boat 23 feet long and we got caught between two super tankers with an engine alarm going off and we were taking on water. Needless to say we kept running that motor even with the high heat alarm sounding. I could have kissed the land at cypress cove when we got back there after that incedent.

Ray
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I was hunting alligators with a friend and his grandson. I was running the big boat in the canals and he and his grandson were running a smaller tunnel hull in the shallow marshes. He didn't have much room in his boat so he left the grandson and all his gators in my boat so he could go lighter into a big shallow lake to get a big gator. He also took my bigger gun. I covered all the gators with wet grass sacks and waited for him to come back. One of his gators was not dead. It stood up on its feet and tried to throw off the sack on his head. The grandson was at the front of my boat with nothing but a plastic Sprite bottle. When he turned around, the gator was looking at him. He rared back with the plastic bottle like he was going to hit it. I told him to stay still and don't move. That is when I remembered I had no gun in the boat. I had an old hatchet, so I snuck up behind him and whacked it between the eyes. I will never go without a gun with alligators in the boat.

southern151
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Got caught this spring in a storm while crawfishin in Pierre Part. It dropped five inches in an hour. Light flying everywhere in the sky and we were 5 miles deep in swamp and cypress! We took on more water in that hour than I could bail. We had to go out in mid-storm and run the canals with the plug pulled to help keep the water down in the boat. It was one of those moments when you look up and ask, "Have I been good enough?"

Marshrat
07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
While shrimping in Calcasieu Lake, a squall hit us. We took off toward the bank, but being out in the middle of the lake we headed toward Hebert's. We took on so much water that the boat was completely under, seats kept the boat from going to the bottom. Used an orange shrimp basket to flag bigger boats that were passing by but they would just wave and keep going. Finally got to the bank near a camp, and found a bucket to bail the boat and was able to get to Hebert's and pull out.

Warren

dbarham
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I was up in chocolate bayou runnin wide open in my carolina skiff. I hit something underwater rippin the tiller from my hand and cocking it sideways motor leaned out and WFO I finally got to the kill button but the waves I created makin donuts lifted my motor off the back and bye bye baby!!! I tried to hold it but had waders on and was in 20 feet of water near where they load barges. the water was too cold and deep to get it so it created a new reef there. also got caught in a squall in the bay different occasion,the wind blew 50 mph and stood my boat straight up thank god I made it.. i was very scared

eman
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Mine Was an out of the boat experiance. Was Walking the marsh stalking red fish w/ a fly rod. Made one wrong step and sunk allmost to my chest in the mud.
Thought i was going to be there till someone came looking for me.
Tossed my gear to a high spot and started grabbing marsh grass trying to pull myself out . took my big azz over 1 1/2 hrs to move about 5 feet to harder ground.
Not a good feeling to be in the water and can't move and it's getting dark.

Austin(boatman's son)
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
had a eight foot shark jump out the water and take my mullet in cocodrie

fishinpox
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM

i hear ya man that river can be hell i have a similar story except we werent stuck out we were tryin to leave to go fish all we could heaer was fog horns it took us 2 hrs to get from venice marina to main pass at the river the thing we will fo to catch trout

"W"
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
3 weeks after Rita...I went to the marsh by myself looking for reds....I just souped up my 25merc and added a jack plate.....I was running wide azz open in about 1foot of water and I hit something....knocked the handle out of my hand and boat went right I went left...(did not have kill switch on)....I was throw out and the boat crossed a the canal and went on the bank wide open....Knocked the motor off while running.....Had to swin across and pick motor up and put back on the jack plate....I was whipped ..... Pulled boat back to center of canal and 3rd pull she fired up.... Lesson leared wear your KILL SWITCH.....This could of ended worst!!!!

Austin(boatman's son)
07-27-2009, 06:11 PM
we did get stuck in a bad storm at cal. point in the middle of the night haha

Reverend Redfish
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
In Henderson about 15 years ago - ran out of boudin about 20 minutes after launching boat.... Worst day of my fishing life!

huntin fool
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
toleda bend in march last year...about 40-50 degrees,30 mph winds, we was across the lake from our camp, ran it in a bay-boat, then hoped in friends bass boat...started taking water over in the front, I FROZED! pulled into a cove, and froze some more..

should of stayed in the bay boat

elebouef
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Was out in the Playboy boat with some of the playmates a few years ago and got stopped by the harbor police and they found drugs in one of the playmate's bags and they were going to haul us off to jail but I woke up before and was scared I had talked in my sleep and my wife heard some names. :grinpimp:

speck-chaser
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Well,Im glad to hear stuff like that just dont happen to me! Was in cote blanche before I had my bay boat-in a 17' bass boat. My 300lb+ friend was with me. Before we knew something there was a little storm that came up between us and the point,and coming our way. I figured I would just take it easy keeping the nose up. Well,all was fine until a rogue wave hit and the nose of the boat went under the wave. The force of the wave hit me in the chest and about knocked the wind out of me. When we finally passed throught the wave, we had about 8" of water across the whole floor,our tackle boxes was floating,ice chests went overboard,and my big buddy was on the floor,with a fishing pole hooked to his rear,and hollering dont stop. I had the hot foot to the floor and liked to not kept it on step enough for us not to take on another wave. finally the bilge got the water out and made it back to the landing.

hangemhigh
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
lighting storm...launched out of crown point in a 14' flat with a 48hp evinrude...got all the way to lake salvordre and got caught in the worst lightening storm of my life...we laid on the bottom of the boat best we could in our rain coat...sh#$ was hitting the water all around us....just never knew when it was going to be our turn..there was no place to run and hide..

speck-chaser
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Another time, Me and my 9 year old son at the time were duck hunting in the basin. We were in my buddies pro drive and had just gotten into a deeper canal in the swamp. I was just starting to slow down,when the motor hit a stump and pulled the transom down and swung the bow of the boat up and to the right where there was another stump out of the water. The back of the boat immeadiately filled with water and the only thing out of the water was the very point of the boat resting on the stump. My son was hanging on to the rope in the point of the boat. Thankfully My cell phone was in a ziploc and I was able to call my buddy to come rescue us. We pretty much hung in the peak of the boat and froze our butts off in 35 degree weather for 2 hours before they got there. One of the worst parts,is when they got there and found out we were not hurt,they circled the boat and laughed ,and laughed,and took video and pics of us before they let us on board.

meaux fishing
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
got high centered on a big patch of cypress knees in the middle of Felsenthal up in arkansas on a duck scouting trip. 10 ft of water all around us no cell phone signal couldn't really turn around cause we were going down this little cut with trees on both sides. took us an hour and a half to get off...

CatDaddy
07-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Mine Was an out of the boat experiance. Was Walking the marsh stalking red fish w/ a fly rod. Made one wrong step and sunk allmost to my chest in the mud.
Thought i was going to be there till someone came looking for me.
Tossed my gear to a high spot and started grabbing marsh grass trying to pull myself out . took my big azz over 1 1/2 hrs to move about 5 feet to harder ground.
Not a good feeling to be in the water and can't move and it's getting dark.

Mine would have to be the same thing, but it was my friend who sunk in the marsh. We was going hunting, and i went park the boat a little further down, he said he was gonna start with robo duckand a few other things, and all i had to do was go park the boat and bring the sack of decoys, After running a little further down the bank to park the boat, I got out the boat to start walking with a big sack of decoys and i could hear my buddy screaming for his life, I couldnt even see his head lamp, It was freezing cold and i havent even put my waiders on. all i had was my pants on with "long johns" under... When i herd him screaming for life I just took off running thrugh marsh sometimes falling in marsh holes waste deep. I was so wore out and almost passing out pushing myself so hard to get to my buddy, finally i got to him and he was almost up to his neck in marsh, he almost made it to a high spot buy the time i got there so all i had to do (or could do) was lay down and grab his hand and hold him. After i caught my breath i helped him out and we took a break and then went back to the boat.

CatDaddy
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Was out in the Playboy boat with some of the playmates a few years ago and got stopped by the harbor police and they found drugs in one of the playmate's bags and they were going to haul us off to jail but I woke up before and was scared I had talked in my sleep and my wife heard some names. :grinpimp:

:*****::rotfl::*****::rotfl::*****:

yak'em-n-stack'em
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
once on big lake we had a storm come up while me and my friend and brother were out.

the hair on our arms stood up and the rod tips were buzzing. we got as low as we could and hauled out of there

LittleRob
07-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Another time, Me and my 9 year old son at the time were duck hunting in the basin. We were in my buddies pro drive and had just gotten into a deeper canal in the swamp. I was just starting to slow down,when the motor hit a stump and pulled the transom down and swung the bow of the boat up and to the right where there was another stump out of the water. The back of the boat immeadiately filled with water and the only thing out of the water was the very point of the boat resting on the stump. My son was hanging on to the rope in the point of the boat. Thankfully My cell phone was in a ziploc and I was able to call my buddy to come rescue us. We pretty much hung in the peak of the boat and froze our butts off in 35 degree weather for 2 hours before they got there. One of the worst parts,is when they got there and found out we were not hurt,they circled the boat and laughed ,and laughed,and took video and pics of us before they let us on board.
You have to love your friends if you aren't hurt or in danger: it's game on.

MOJO
07-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Had a waterspout drop down 20 yards from us in lafitte.
We were in my cousins old stick steer 15' boat when it happened.
Motor would not crank up so it was all 12 volts from the trolling motor to get away from it.
That waterspout got bigger than any spout I've ever seen and was on the water for about 45 min.
Can't say I've ever been more scarred than that day.

speck-chaser
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
hey rob, after they took my pic they put it in their phone,so that whenever I would call,that picture would come up,and they would get a good laugh all over again. I hafta admit though, it was a funny looking picture. the back of the boat under water with the front sticking about 60 degrees into the air and me and my son huddled into the front point of the boat hanging on so we dont slide down into the water.

Slidellkid
07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Man, those are some good stories!

Here's a few for ya. I was fishing Toledo Bend with a friend one cold march day and my bass boat just started sinking and we were about 100 yards off the bank. The boat sank and bobbed a bit and the motor was dragging the bottom. I was freaking out it happened in a matter of a minute or two and water was surging into the boat from the drain hole in the middle of the floor. We had to wade chest high water to get to the bank and it took all day to get the boat out. That was one miserable day.

Fishing a tournament on Toledo and the guy I was with knew the lake real well. Well, it got thick foggy and he said lets head towards the dam. We were running about 40 mph and I started to crap my pants because I couldn't see anything and I just knew were were going to hit the rocks. Turns out he did know where he was going but he scared the crap out of me.

Right after high school graduation we went to the lake and got drunk. That night, my dad's boat drifted out into the lake and I could see it way out there about 300 yards in the moonlight. I had been a lifeguard for three summers and could swim real well, so in my drunken state I decided I had better swim out to get the boat. Well, the water was pretty scary in the middle of the night and all the life jackets were out in the boat so i just started swimming real fast. I got about 250 yards out and was exhausted and started to panic terribly. My mind was freezing up on me with fear and I felt like I couldn't go any further. Luckily I finally made it to the boat but I was so scared I was practically crying. I was so exhausted I couldn't even climb into the boat so I just hung on for a few minutes until I regained my strength. Prior to that night I used to scoff at folks that said they panicked in the water and really didn't believe that strong swimmers would panic, but I am now a true believer.

mallard matt
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I found a fella yesterday in the middle of his worst story ever.Me and a buddy decided to go do some sacalait fishing in the basin out of bayou benoit.Well we got there at 545 and started heading for the back i was rolling down the crook chene and saw a ice chest floating.Didnt think much then i saw a life jacket then a boat seat then then the boat upside down with a fellow in his fortys sitting on top.This fella looked like the elephant man the skeeters had tore him up all night,fella said he flipped about seven aclock the night before.Got him in the boat and brought him to the landing he passed out on the way there,and we basically had to carry him to his truck,and he passed out said he just needed to sleep.

My scaryest moment was when me,and a freind went to red fish point out of v-bay in a 14 foot flat with my little 25 nissan tiller handle pushing got there couldnt catch squat decided to leave cause a storm was coming go out in the bay and the waves had grown form 2 to 4 feet.With a storm a brewen on the horizen.My freind looked pretty scared all i did was turn the billige pump on and say damn the torpedos man.Luckely the combination of expert boat handling a new bilige pump and my freind praying for his life on the floor of the boat.Got us out of there.every wave we hit would sent water flying over the bow.Never doing that again.

jpeff31787
07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I found a fella yesterday in the middle of his worst story ever.Me and a buddy decided to go do some sacalait fishing in the basin out of bayou benoit.Well we got there at 545 and started heading for the back i was rolling down the crook chene and saw a ice chest floating.Didnt think much then i saw a life jacket then a boat seat then then the boat upside down with a fellow in his fortys sitting on top.This fella looked like the elephant man the skeeters had tore him up all night,fella said he flipped about seven aclock the night before.Got him in the boat and brought him to the landing he passed out on the way there,and we basically had to carry him to his truck,and he passed out said he just needed to sleep.

My scaryest moment was when me,and a freind went to red fish point out of v-bay in a 14 foot flat with my little 25 nissan tiller handle pushing got there couldnt catch squat decided to leave cause a storm was coming go out in the bay and the waves had grown form 2 to 4 feet.With a storm a brewen on the horizen.My freind looked pretty scared all i did was turn the billige pump on and say damn the torpedos man.Luckely the combination of expert boat handling a new bilige pump and my freind praying for his life on the floor of the boat.Got us out of there.every wave we hit would sent water flying over the bow.Never doing that again.

V. Bay is one BAD area to be in a little boat. My uncle said he's seen quite a few boats go down in there. Its just so shallow and wide so the waves build very easily. We used to fish a 16ft express and we'd never go far out into the bay, now we have our bay boat and we can, but it still gets pretty bad even in the bay boat. The funny thing is you can go out the pass and it'd be nice with a slight chop on the water then get into the bay and its like 3-4 ft horribly choppy seas banging you all over the place lol

mikedatiger
07-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Whats everyone's scariest moment they had/seen on the water ? Mine was this past weekend when coast guard was pulling a 24' champion on plane... that guy looked white as the side of his boat.

Mine was my first outing ever in my boat on Sabine this past March. The lake was rough as hell - had intermittent 4 footers with probably 30mph wind. I was fishing the middle of the lake near a platform when I noticed 3 guys on the platform and eyed their old bass boat getting beat to death on the pilings below - boat was not tied down and was taking water over the bow and stern.

Long story short, but the guys tried to get back into their boat (no ladder as it was a non-operative storm damaged platform) and fell overboard. I saw 2 of the men get back on the platform and the 3rd was hanging on to the motor. I was a few hundred yards away and started to pull anchor just in case, while watching as his boat drifted off with the tide. At one point all hell broke loose and everyone was hollering for help. It took several minutes to get to the guy on the boat and at that point it seemed as if he was close to just giving up and letting go. Man was well over 300 lbs and it took us a good 3 minutes to try to pull him into his boat. No life-jackets, radio, etc...I really thought he was going to drown...

Once the man was secure we had to get the other 2 off the platform and realized that one of the men was probably close to 70 - he had fallen in the water, swallowed something and could barely talk, much less breathe. I had called the Coast Guard during this whole process and informed them of such, but the 3 guys wanted no part of that and got in their boat and took off.

I had no business in the lake myself that day, but desparately wanted to get my boat in the water. These guys had absolutely no business at all out there in a 20 year old bass boat with absolutely zero safety equipment.

Was probably the best possible way for me to be baptized into boat ownership as I learned some invaluable lessons that day. And my first catch ever in my new ride was a 300lber...

Feesherman
07-29-2009, 02:01 PM
And my first catch ever in my new ride was a 300lber...

And you landed him without a gaff or anything!! You are da man!

Jordan
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
lol... Boga !!!