PDA

View Full Version : Big Lake 5/9/09

SULPHITE
05-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Well me and a buddy headed to Big Lake early am...I am a weekend warrior!! Tried to do some wading but with high tide and STRONG south wind along with nasty water...it didn't happen! Found some clean water but nothing. Tried a redfish honeyhole to no avial...headed over towards the southeast end of big lake to fish some cleaner water and found a regatta of boats and no fish and all the wind we could handle. Mother nature kicked us hard in the rear! If anyone caught today...you know your stuff!! Hope someone else had some luck!

"W"
05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Thats been the latest from their!!!! Talked to some guys that went today and same results!!!! I did yard work!!!

SULPHITE
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't worry the wife was waiting for me at the door with honey dos!!

longcast
05-09-2009, 05:12 PM
i ended the day with 2 reds.we found both of them up against the east shore.i meen right up against the shoreline.we coild not even get a bite with soft plastics so we were fishing dead shrrimp on the bottom.

drjay
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
It was definitely a rough day on Big Lake. Pretty much the same story as above except I drove all the way from Texas. Luckily I had ohter family obligations since the fishing was so tough.

I don't think I've ever casted so many times with so few bites. I threw just about every piece of plastic I had.

Decent water on the S/SE side of the lake but chocolate milk everywhere else (that I went). Winds stronger than forecasted (as usual). It was almost a scratch, but Father-in-law snagged a nice 5lb trout before we called it a day early. Other than that......nothing. I did enjoy going past the weirs and marveling at how many boats could squeeze into such a small area. Surely, that cannot be enjoyable?

Days like today really make you appreciate those easy limits in fall/winter!

"W"
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Weirs on Saturday!! You have to admire the entertainment......

wtretrievers
05-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Weirs on Saturday!! You have to admire the entertainment......
Since the fishin has been so bad, think I may go down to the weirs next Saturday with a case of beer, video camera & no rods & watch the show!
YOU TUBE!!!!!:cheers::*****::*****::*****:

"W"
05-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Since the fishin has been so bad, think I may go down to the weirs next Saturday with a case of beer, video camera & no rods & watch the show!

Get their 30mins before daylight!!! Get all the action!!!! From 12ft to Party Barges......:*****::rotfl::*****::rotfl:

ScubaRu
05-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Explain for us Texas folks.....:work:

"W"
05-09-2009, 09:16 PM

:help:

wtretrievers
05-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I dont even know where to start!!!!!
W show 'em some pictures!!!!!!
Just imagine a canal I'd say 20yds wide X 40yds deep to the weir. With boats CRAMED IN THERE from 12ft flatbottoms to party barges. Fishin lines look like a spider web!:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Big Flounder
05-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I dont even know where to start!!!!!
W show 'em some pictures!!!!!!
Just imagine a canal I'd say 20yds wide X 40yds deep to the weir. With boats CRAMED IN THERE from 12ft flatbottoms to party barges. Fishin lines look like a spider web!:shaking::shaking::shaking:
Then the boat in the middle decides it's time to go and nails it out of there and before the gap closes another boat runs in there and does the olympic anchor toss.

drjay
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Then the boat in the middle decides it's time to go and nails it out of there and before the gap closes another boat runs in there and does the olympic anchor toss.
That sounds about right. I don't understand how they do it.

Gerald
05-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Here is a picture on a slow day during the week. Signs [on the left side] are posted that say no fishing within 250 feet of the wier. There are 3 boats shown [2 are on the left side] in the picture along with me and another "legal" boat that day.

Salty
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
:help:Attached Images
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=388&stc=1&d=1241921762

:work: :work:

LaAngler
05-09-2009, 10:12 PM
should have gone to contraband days and watched the wimmins dance on boats

ScubaRu
05-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I've gone through that weir and fished for reds and flounder up in the marsh last year, but this year when we went back there it was all posted as no trespassing. We normally fish during the week so I guess I've never seen the rodeo out in front. There was about a million crab traps out in front of that wier though.

SULPHITE
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
LOL!! I've seen the "olympic anchor toss" and was speechless...the weirs are no fun on weekends

LaAngler
05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
wintertime fishing is nice seems like it filters out some but not all of the idiots.

Cutty713
05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I was going to post a report from Saturday but it would have been exactly like Supphite's. Nasty water and lots of boats with noone catching.