PDA

View Full Version : Offshore guys

longcast
06-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I need some tips on trolling offshore for kings. Im in destin and trolled all am. Tried live bait and some hard baits. I'm not sure how far behind the boat and speed. I'm going to be here till sat and plan on going every am. Any help would be appreciated.

Hopedale Hustler
06-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Yuck big dog....ain't trying to burst your bubble but they gross...but if u insist pull some arti behind ya in the wash and behind it...and go pretty fast like atleast 12 knots..

Finfeatherfur
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I got eaten up yesterday, all day and the pattern seemed the same. Put the baits out at 6.7 to 7.2 mph, and it got eaten. Didn't matter the type, they hit it. I was trying to avoid kings, but the hits just keep coming. I ran some hard Halco baits w/ steel leaders and they took the paint off of them. Finally pulled them out because I was trying to avoid them!

I have been fortunate enough to fish all over, including the Pacific in Mexico and Costa Rica. The trolling varies, but one thing remains the same - put the baits where the fish wants it! I know that sounds stupid, but don't be afraid to change it up. Most importantly, I like to put the baits right where the foam of the prop wash breaks out to flat water. Then drop another one 10' behind that one. Keeping in mind that every boat is different, so a given distance is hard to determine. I also put my trim tabs down holding the bow down, then trim the outboard up. (Shhhhhh-top secret!) To me that helps reduce engine noise to the fish, and changes the prop wash and may all be in my head, but it seems to work.

Hopedale Hustler
06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree..whenever trolling you have to just find the sweet spot...

Fin I've trolled Florida alot for kings particularly destin/ft. Walton and my advice would be pull quick on the ede of that second sand bar of the beach....Just my opinion though It works...

longcast
06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. On gonna try it in the am. I'm not a fish eating guy. I hope I can catch and release. They sure pull some drag though.

Top Dawg
06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Never fished for em in Florida. But I know here u drag somethin shiny in the wheel wash and just outside it and they'll jump on em. If u wanna see a show drags some feathers on top.

Dink
06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Stretch 25 or 30s will bring kings in all day long.....
So will a chrome diamond jig