PDA

View Full Version : When to set the Hook???

Gerald
08-07-2009, 11:55 AM
For trout fishing.......CATCHING.....with soft plastic baits.

When do you "set the Hook"?

First strike? Second strike? Third strike? ......Or should I say "TAP"?

Do you "Set the Hook"......with a hard quick action?

What works best for you?

"W"
08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
90% of the time They dont get a second tap....I stick em!!! If I feel it .....I stick it!!!!

meaux fishing
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
If im cork fishing i dont even set it i just start reeling fast with the rod tip up.....tightlining Im with W first or second tap and even then i dont set it hard, more of a pick the rod tip up start reeling

jpeff31787
08-07-2009, 12:33 PM
yeah i agree with both the guys.. especially if your throwing braid, cuz you don't want to rip there lips off. But i like to still set a solid hook though. Its hard to explain.. I guess its more of a short pull and not a jerk if that makes any sense. BTW braid helps you cast farther and easier to get good hook sets on those corks at long distances.

Hopedale Hustler
08-07-2009, 12:50 PM
i set the hook when im flippin em in the boat..:D...if they want it they gonna eat it...this aint bass fishin..

"W"
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
On trout I really dont put a hard hook set...Its moslty a quick pull up ward......Their mouth is soft so you just need to place the hook in it.....I dont find I miss many fish so I think my system for me works......

Jordan
08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
"W", u go ride around and give people sand eels for fish, dont lie to us.... i spilled the beans !!!

Deadly D
08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
On trout I really dont put a hard hook set...Its moslty a quick pull up ward......Their mouth is soft so you just need to place the hook in it.....I dont find I miss many fish so I think my system for me works......
boy you rock the boat side to side 6" on a hook set.:*****::*****:

FREON
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
On trout I really dont put a hard hook set...Its moslty a quick pull up ward......Their mouth is soft so you just need to place the hook in it.....I dont find I miss many fish so I think my system for me works...... 12 inch trout have areal soft mouth....:*****::rotfl::*****:

Capt. Ryan Rachunek
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM

And everyone knows how good those 12"ers are at throwing the hook.....

Seriously, you're hookset depends on what bait your throwing and how the fish are biting. Most baits you set the hook when you feel the first tap.... Baits like Corky's and topwater, feel the thump, tighten up till you feel pressure, then set the hook.....

"W"
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
And everyone knows how good those 12"ers are at throwing the hook.....

How you set the hook on DEM FEESSSHHHH BURGERS:shaking:

Capt. Ryan Rachunek
08-07-2009, 03:24 PM
How you set the hook on DEM FEESSSHHHH BURGERS:shaking:

Come up with some new material...... You're pathetic..... No one thinks that line is funny anymore.....

huntin fool
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I set it when I feel tat-tat on a sand eel....

Dink
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I've seen my brother set it so hard he almost fell out the boat! I LOVE it when people do that, it never gets old............... I don't set it, just lift the tip up and reel fast

yak'em-n-stack'em
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
i thought it was funny

speckdaddy
08-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Come up with some new material...... You're pathetic..... No one thinks that line is funny anymore.....
i think this line is absolutely ****in hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!:*****::*****:

Gerald
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I find that about 1/2 the time a trout will take the bait the first hit. If they don't take it the first tap....they will take about a second or two later.

Like several said....I just tighten up the line and if I fell the fish, I lift the rod and reel fast.

Salty
08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I set it when I feel tat-tat on a sand eel....

I figured the sand eel set the hook automatically. :smokin:

Deadly D
08-07-2009, 10:42 PM
They do on big trout dont know about them W trout:confused:

huntin fool
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM

i thought the bombers would atleast catch fish??? :*****::*****::rotfl::*****::*****: :smokin:

Salty
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
i thought the bombers would atleast catch fish??? :*****::*****::rotfl::*****::*****: :smokin:

D will have to use his culinary skills to cook you up some crow next week, lil man. You know not of what you speak.

Dink
08-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I caught a white trout last weekend..........didn't actually hook it, the lure got sidways in it's mouth and got stuck...............yes it was a little guy, kinda tore him up getting it out, but I'm sure he survived............sometimes you don't need to set it, as the WISE Capt. John L Taylor would say............Reel till you Feel.....then set it.......Tim

wtretrievers
08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
It all depends.....sometimes you dont have to cause they're slamin it, other times they just pick it up & you have to set hard. Was fishin Prien in Jan with sand eel & had a thousand lite & I mean lite taps, caught a couple till I figured it out. When you felt the lite tap you had to drop rod tip then just ease back in a slow sweaping motion till your rod loaded up. If you set the hook you missed every time. Once I figured it out I limited out in 30 mins & caught & released another limit. & yall know as well as I do that its natural reaction to set quick. It took patience!

Big Kahunaz
08-08-2009, 01:25 PM
come up with some new material...... You're pathetic..... No one thinks that line is funny anymore.....
i like it!
"w" ....post like 20 more hooked fish burgers!