PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Smoker...

ScubaLatt
06-28-2011, 11:38 PM
I am going to ask my wife for a smoker for our 5 year anniversary present. I am looking at both electric and propane. I need your ideas on what brand, elect. vs. propane, and any other info that could be helpful in my search.

TIA

joshdomingue
06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Eman is your best bet on here........ Check out smokingmeatforum.com theres alot of info there........

eman
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Best bet and buy is the MES 40" $299. at sams club. if you will be smoking where there is 110v power available. just set temp ,set time add chips once an hour or so and kick back.
if you want to take it camping where no power is available then go w/ the
GOSM propane unit .
I use the MES 40 at least once a week.

eman
06-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Eman is your best bet on here........ Check out smokingmeatforum.com theres alot of info there........
www.smokingmeatforums.com has reviews up on both.

Ray
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
My wife and I love our charcoal smoker.
To us, it tastes better.
Have to do more work and clean up, but love the flavor.
Tried the tall square propane one, but gave it to a family member. I don't care for it.

eman
06-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Ray is right on the money. Charcoal / stick burner does have better flavor But also
has alot more work involved. It's all about how much time you want to spend tending the fire.

sears
06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I'll second the masterbuilt, got mine last year on black Friday for 170$ and it's great. The new models have a replaceable burner so you can ignore all the bad reviews about the old ones for that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ray
06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Ray is right on the money. Charcoal / stick burner does have better flavor But also
has alot more work involved. It's all about how much time you want to spend tending the fire.

I don't have to touch the fire for about 2 hours, once it gets to 225 degrees. The pit I have holds that temp. perfectly for that long.
But I do enjoy drinking beers and basting the meat now and then while waiting on everything to cook.

eman
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't have to touch the fire for about 2 hours, once it gets to 225 degrees. The pit I have holds that temp. perfectly for that long.
But I do enjoy drinking beers and basting the meat now and then while waiting on everything to cook.
I enjoy sitting in the AC w/ a long island tea on the puter talking to you bone heads while the MES does it's thing:*****:

Hebert
07-02-2011, 01:02 AM
yea its definitely about how much you want to attend the fire/smoke vs charcoal & gas...my preference is charcoal ..but of course I have an electric smoker when I'm alil lazy lol