PDA

View Full Version : Tough day!

Finfeatherfur
07-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I remember someone saying how easy offshore fishing is.......lol - Well, I got a dose of humble pie yesterday out of Freshwater City. After several "easy" trips, I found myself on Brandon's Contender yesterday and my honeyholes seemed to have dried up. I had the boat w/ my family and a buddy was suppose to come with his. Well, his son ends up sick Friday night so he sends his wife and daughter to fish with us.

First sign of trouble was my bait spot when my kids only produced 3 hard tails on sabika rigs. I swear, we could make a fortune on hardtails with these boys if we lived in Venice for the tuna fisherman, but today was nothing and strong current. Next stop was one of our snapper spots, but they had one boat already there catching small snapper and after breaking off and then landing 1 shark, I cranked up. Our bluewater was pushed out and now we were seeing a stained/dark water. I was not impressed! At 10:30am, I had one fish in the box!

I decided to roll the dice and head south. Stopped a one platform and called my buddy who was in his 36' Contender a few miles from me. They came out from the Point and only found small fish. I pointed the boat south and rolled out to find better water and fish. Only 6 miles from where we sat and talked about our next move, we cross a great water change with lots of grass and blue water on it. We pulled baits for a few 20 minutes only picking up a small dolphin.

Pulled up to my last platform of the day and literally had snapper only 10' from the boat. It took less than 20 minutes for these kids and ladies to fill our limit. From there, cleaned up a little, grabbed the spear gun in the hunt for mangroves. Hit the water and fought the current for 10 minutes and gave up w/o seeing one greydog.

Headed back to the grass to play with the chickens. After not seeing 1 cobia all day, we hook up with a nice 30lber.........on a speck rod and we all know how that ended up. After putting 6 or so chickens in the boat we move to a buoy and pick up 6 more chickens and the kids were having a ball with them. Hit the second buoy and have a 20lb cobia on it, but again, before I could feed him a jig, one of the boys has it eat a small jack it had hooked on a speck rod. Saw one more that would not eat. So I went 0-3 on Cobia and that really burns my butt!!!! After that, the crew was whipped and we had a 67 mile run to FWC. Made it in and barely got the boat on the trailer w/ the low tide.

ScubaLatt
07-10-2011, 10:17 AM
If you ever need 1-2 hands to split costs give me a shout. I love the gulf but do not get to go out as often as I like. Grew up fishing a 25' Grady white and fished most every weekend from june to august out of grand cheniere.

Dink
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Ya get spoiled with them easy trips eh? Thinking of going next weekend, hope the water comes in closer. I don't wanna have to run that far!!

jpeff31787
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Damn man.. we were out there yesterday and had a great day. 8 man limit of 10-15lb snapper couple mangroves. Should of had six plus cobia but they kept pulling off. Only got 2 in the chest and one fell off the gaft. Couple kings too. I had a blast fishing with live bait 20ft below a balloon lol got some big snapper like that. We didn't see any grass though :(

Dink
07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
J....y'all are goin out of burns point?

Dink
07-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Just saw the "planking in the gulf of Mexico" pic........that's hilarious! !!!

Montauk17
07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Nice trip bro....the launch at fwc blows!

coco
07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
id like to get into some of that looks like fun

Total Dominationilization
07-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Even on a bad day, you catch a limit...sounds pretty easy to me. lol, I just had to reply since you put me on blast, kind of. A bad day of trout fishing for me, means I don't put anything in the boat. But I do understand there are plenty more things that can go wrong. Glad y'all had fun.

Finfeatherfur
07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Even on a bad day, you catch a limit...sounds pretty easy to me. lol, I just had to reply since you put me on blast, kind of. A bad day of trout fishing for me, means I don't put anything in the boat. But I do understand there are plenty more things that can go wrong. Glad y'all had fun.

:) Wasn't calling you out bud, just making a point that I have been having some really good trips this year, but I had to work this past Saturday. I have been finishing the snapper limits in less than 30 minutes, including the culls and moving on to other things, but not this day. We still had a blast and caught a ton of fish, just took a little longer and had to run a little further. Good luck out there and give me a holler if you see me on the water!

YellowMouth7
07-12-2011, 10:08 AM
you da man....thanks for being understanding at the launch

TB

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
you da man....thanks for being understanding at the launch

TB

No worries man, just wish I could have done more, but w/o a spare axel up my arse, not sure there was anything to do!!!!!! LOL!

YellowMouth7
07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
LMAO.....True dat man, it was a slow and sketchy ride abck to Lafayette....didnt hit my driveway till after 11pm