PDA

View Full Version : Any News!?! - Venice Capsize

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I am just hearing the "Looney Tuna" capsized this morning out of Southwest Pass in Venice. All 6 have been rescued, but 3 were injured and medivaced to area hospitals. Can anyone give us more news???? I know these guys from the floaters.

PUREBAY2200
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.katc.com/news/coast-guard-medevacs-3-after-vessel-capsizes/

huntin fool
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I am just hearing the "Looney Tuna" capsized this morning out of Southwest Pass in Venice. All 6 have been rescued, but 3 were injured and medivaced to area hospitals. Can anyone give us more news???? I know these guys from the floaters.

They post on the site!

Just got a text saying they hit a well and boat sank with minutes

Lake Chuck Duck
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
thats deep south charters right?

huntin fool
07-12-2011, 02:28 PM
thats deep south charters right?

yes

calcutta37
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
hope everyone is ok. prayers sent

Montauk17
07-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Man I really hate to hear this! Josh is a good captain,my prayers are with him and everyone involved.

Micah
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Got this off the website...

longcast
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Hope everyone is ok. Prayers to the people and their families.

calcutta37
07-12-2011, 03:30 PM
i think its brand new the boat that is..

simplepeddler
07-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Hit a well.............??
Man that sounds strange. Radar on the boat, distress call at around 8:30 AM, plenty of sunlight, experienced Captain.............

These guys are darn good fisherman and captains...........hope all are going to be okay and prayeres are sent for sure....................

Montauk17
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Hit a well.............??
Man that sounds strange. Radar on the boat, distress call at around 8:30 AM, plenty of sunlight, experienced Captain.............

These guys are darn good fisherman and captains...........hope all are going to be okay and prayeres are sent for sure....................

Someone said they were running in a thunderstorm....

simplepeddler
07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Ah........makes some sense now.

Not disparging these guys in any way may...........Cheet happens on the water.

Montauk17
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
No doubt....does not matter how much experience you have.

Dink
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh crap!! Storm or not, radar should haves picked it up eh?? I could see this happening in the river, but not offshore?

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Oh crap!! Storm or not, radar should haves picked it up eh?? I could see this happening in the river, but not offshore?

Your radar will "black-out" in a thunderstorm. Radar will pick up a thunderstorm in open water and unless you take the time to stop, and adjust for rain drops, it is usless.

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
i think its brand new the boat that is..
I doubt he made a year with it yet.

wtretrievers
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Dude......there's so much crap in the water down there! Some above & a ton below!!!! Don't know how many times I've seen pipe etc at or just below the surface down there.

Montauk17
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I doubt he made a year with it yet.

We went on one of the first trips in the new boat in feb. Think he got it in january.

PUREBAY2200
07-12-2011, 04:05 PM
From coast guard report they struck a submerged abandoned well head.
To many of those hazards out there. Someone - the well owner- should have to totally remove or destroy these hazards. It redicilous that after storms destroyed wells & platforms are just abandoned. There needs to b regulations that require proper removal / destruction on these.
Hope Josh & crew are ok & back out on the water soon. Josh is a great guy, hell of a Capt, / guide!!
Prayers sent!

Dink
07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok....so it wasn't a rig I'm guessing?? Prolly debris.......we saw trees floating around out there in may from all the flooding up north

fishinpox
07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
ok....so it wasn't a rig i'm guessing?? Prolly debris.......we saw trees floating around out there in may from all the flooding up north

ive seen metal portable office buildings floating down river b4!

Hopedale Hustler
07-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Not debris it was a submerged well head....nothing he could do...he is a great guy and I have no doubt he will bounce back...prayers are sent for him and the crew....I can't tell you how many boats are towed in every year to BSM from losing a lower unit in the sound...heads and pipes erry where down there and u can't see them alot of the time...

booyagasha
07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
damn, i just saw this big boat alongside hwy 90 getting work done at his mechanics' not too long ago. prayers go out, and glad everyone made it out alive

YellowMouth7
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
So sorry to hear of this....I will pray

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Not debris it was a submerged well head....nothing he could do...he is a great guy and I have no doubt he will bounce back...prayers are sent for him and the crew....I can't tell you how many boats are towed in every year to BSM from losing a lower unit in the sound...heads and pipes erry where down there and u can't see them alot of the time...

Let's not go too far w/o any details. I have sent Josh a private message and hope someone in our circle of peeps will send out some "real" details soon. "Wellheads" are not submerged. Not trying to split hairs, but I have not seen any "official" report or pictures to see exactly what it was that he struck.

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM
from coast guard report they struck a submerged abandoned well head.
To many of those hazards out there. Someone - the well owner- should have to totally remove or destroy these hazards. It redicilous that after storms destroyed wells & platforms are just abandoned. There needs to b regulations that require proper removal / destruction on these.
Hope josh & crew are ok & back out on the water soon. Josh is a great guy, hell of a capt, / guide!!
Prayers sent!

calcutta37
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
hey cajunsaint best avitar ever..lol

Hopedale Hustler
07-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Word of mouth from a source in Venice is where I got my info from....not saying I'm correct but it's reliableish...he also mentioned this was from a coast gaurd person....this is all from another captain and my old boss...

"W"
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
WL&F agent said it was a well head....

Finfeatherfur
07-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Word of mouth from a source in Venice is where I got my info from....not saying I'm correct but it's reliableish...he also mentioned this was from a coast gaurd person....this is all from another captain and my old boss...

I know exactly what you are saying, but being in the industry, and working w/ the USCG, most of these "kids" don't know what a well head is! Until I see the pictures of what he hit, I am not making any assumptions.

southern151
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Prayers to all involved. Hopefully, Josh can get back on the water soon. After talking to him about his boat a while back on the phone, he is very proud of his boat. It's a shame to see this happen but, bottom line, everyone is ok.

Dink
07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I hope they don't Sue him right outta business

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 08:43 PM
hey cajunsaint best avitar ever..lol

U tha man!!! Lol for some reason I can't get the smillies to attach from this pos iPhone

jpeff31787
07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Let's not go too far w/o any details. I have sent Josh a private message and hope someone in our circle of peeps will send out some "real" details soon. "Wellheads" are not submerged. Not trying to split hairs, but I have not seen any "official" report or pictures to see exactly what it was that he struck.

"Wellhead" may not be the appropriate term, but as a surveyor we have had to find many "wellheads" that were submerged. I don't know exactly what they were, but most were 10-20 inches in diameter and solid metal. I can definitely see how one of these things can destroy a boat

southern151
07-12-2011, 08:45 PM
No doubt, dink! Hopefully, he has good insurance(I'm sure he does) and articles of incorporation to help him protect personal assets.

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Prayers sent to the crew and families!

"W"
07-12-2011, 08:52 PM
As far as well heads being submerged....This is true as far as the being underwater,,,, The removed several that were just below the water line out of pelto bay from the hurricane,,,, MMS has been notified of several that were considered dangers and hazards...locations not sure but they are out there and damaged. Wells are still below water lines from Katrina and other Hurricanes

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 09:00 PM
W shouldn't these rigs or trees that are down be flagged some way? I'm not a captain but I would like to know where the debris is???

They have to know where this crap is?

LPfishnTIM
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Dang that sucks! hope all is well with the crew and the customers.

CajunSaint
They have cords on all of them (wellheads). Now debris is another thing

Did they hit new debris or something that should have been tagged for lack of a better word?

fishinpox
W shouldn't these rigs or trees that are down be flagged some way? I'm not a captain but I would like to know where the debris is???

They have to know where this crap is?

I've reported the same debris for 4-5 years and it's still there, if it wasn't so big I'd move it my damn self. 30 yrd construction dumpsters, valves, boats,

"W"
07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Man inland Rules are no way like offshore...they play by different rules!!!........ The PNA crew that is on our platform now just removed a bunch of inland wells and they said some were underwater,,,,,

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I've reported the same debris for 4-5 years and it's still there, if it wasn't so big I'd move it my damn self. 30 yrd construction dumpsters, valves, boats,

Damn Pox,
Wasn't disrespecting u bro! Just trying to find out why this $h1t ain't flagged???

wtretrievers
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm telling yall I lived down there for 2 years & fished 4 days a week during the winter & 6 days a week after hunting season through the summer, not long after Katrina, there was crap everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How no more people get hurt or tear up boats is an amazement to me! They cleaned up a lot of it, but there's still stuff out there. Have seen abandoned well heads also at water level & below.

fishinpox
07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Damn Pox,
Wasn't disrespecting u bro! Just trying to find out why this $h1t ain't flagged???

????? I wasn't gettin sideways at you lol simma down lol

Montauk17
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
With the river as high as it has been no telling what he hit. I was thinking about that the trip we made.... the fog was so thick you could not see the bow.

"W"
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Some of the bays have hundreds of toad stool wells...some out of service for 20 years and god only knows who has the lease on them.....

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry dude beer was involved prob here thanks 4 the advice!!

fishinpox
07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry dude beer was involved prob here thanks 4 the advice!!

Lol

CajunSaint
07-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Lol

Going toB/R 2morrow is there a place 4 a good poboy 4 lunch I'll buy...

fishinpox
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Sammys! Give me a call I might not be able to make it though I have a meeting with a possible buyer for a house I'm building and I don't know how long it will take, but if I'm done by lunch I'm game I'll pm u my #

huntin fool
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Lets go to REGGIE'S! Not SAMMYS

wtretrievers
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Sammys! Give me a call I might not be able to make it though I have a meeting with a possible buyer for a house I'm building and I don't know how long it will take, but if I'm done by lunch I'm game I'll pm u my #
Which Sammys? There all good!!!!!!!!

Gasper Master
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
its amazing how things can happen in a blink of an eye. wish the best for these guys.

fishinpox
07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Which Sammys? There all good!!!!!!!!

Highland, pm me yer # jeff n if we go I'll call u

Hopedale Hustler
07-13-2011, 12:28 AM
I know exactly what you are saying, but being in the industry, and working w/ the USCG, most of these "kids" don't know what a well head is! Until I see the pictures of what he hit, I am not making any assumptions.

No doubt...

Get'n Jiggy
07-13-2011, 12:42 AM
I hope they don't Sue him right outta business

Yep

Dink
07-13-2011, 06:07 AM
There's a pic of the boat on some sort of stdructure on THT.....it just looks swamped. Didn't seem to capsize or sink

Bayou Badon
07-13-2011, 07:04 AM
So did you see the picture on the net Dink? Really hate to hear about Josh and them. I worked on Shell Ursa for few years and would see and brag about them and the Looney Tuna all the time.

Dink
07-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Yes I saw it.....its still out of the water on the left side. Right side is Low low.....engine under water and all.....looks like he ran up onto it, so boat is sitting in top........sucks!!!!

"W"
07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Post the pic

Dink
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Can't on mobile

wtretrievers
07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Got pic from THT

booyagasha
07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Can't on mobile

nvm....yows that looks bad...THATS A REALLY BIG CAT TOO...

uh oh...seems like on THT they pointing fingers and playing the blame game

wtretrievers
07-13-2011, 08:15 AM
nvm....yows that looks bad...THATS A REALLY BIG CAT TOO...

uh oh...seems like on THT they pointing fingers and playing the blame game

Yeah....read some the comments, the non locals can't understand how this obstruction wasn't marked, obviously theyve never been to Venice or anywhere on our coast. This isn't Florida!

booyagasha
07-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Yeah....read some the comments, the non locals can't understand how this obstruction wasn't marked, obviously theyve never been to Venice or anywhere on our coast. This isn't Florida!

same goes for trout and tripletail limit discussions lol

SaltyShaw
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Wow man that is crazy I hope no one was hurt to bad and everything goes well for him and the customers, hate to say it but this has lawsuit written all over it.
Hope everything works out for the best and all are ok

Finfeatherfur
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Well, that is a wellhead, and although the pic is not very good, it does not appear to be "submerged" to me. A "wellhead" is also known as a "tree" and I can clearly see the tree. Without having access to the tree, valves can not be manipulated by the operators for work on the well. This is also appears to be a normal shallow water well set up, where the tree is protected by some cribbing (timber) and usually has a boat landing. Now, depending on wether it is in state or federal waters determines what aids to navigation are required. If this is in state waters, and the platform is under water from the high river, then that is a whole different issue. If this is in federal waters and the aids to navigation were not working, well, let's just say somebody's gonna have a new boat and a whole lot more!!!!

southern151
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, that is a wellhead, and although the pic is not very good, it does not appear to be "submerged" to me. A "wellhead" is also known as a "tree" and I can clearly see the tree. Without having access to the tree, valves can not be manipulated by the operators for work on the well. This is also appears to be a normal shallow water well set up, where the tree is protected by some cribbing (timber) and usually has a boat landing. Now, depending on wether it is in state or federal waters determines what aids to navigation are required. If this is in state waters, and the platform is under water from the high river, then that is a whole different issue. If this is in federal waters and the aids to navigation were not working, well, let's just say somebody's gonna have a new boat and a whole lot more!!!!
I hope for the latter, for his sake!

SaltyShaw
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM

True!

"W"
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
was it dark when he hit it???? I dont believe that was in Federal waters...no way could it be in federal waters......That is a state welll 100% no one is that stupid to let that fly in fed waters and it would of have to pass years of inspections ....

Hopedale Hustler
07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I dunno if it was in the dark ir not but it was storming and it doesn't look to be submerged in the pic but in 3-4 foot seas and a bad enough rain he might of never saw it...never now this does suck though and I can't say that it's not in state or federal waters...I know for sure east and west bay are full of them sukkas and some are in fed waters....

SULPHITE
07-13-2011, 09:16 AM
GCC on the THT just may be W...have the same mentality...he knows it all.

Finfeatherfur
07-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Well, no matter the outcome, this is a tradgedy that could have been worse. I personally know Josh and I hope and pray he can bounce back from this quickly. I hope that everyone injured makes a full and speedy recovery!

I went to Josh's website yesterday and sent him a little note letting him know the fishing community of South La is thinking of him and hoping for the best. I hope everything turns out ok for him and his clients!

Hopedale Hustler
07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, no matter the outcome, this is a tradgedy that could have been worse. I personally know Josh and I hope and pray he can bounce back from this quickly. I hope that everyone injured makes a full and speedy recovery!

I went to Josh's website yesterday and sent him a little note letting him know the fishing community of South La is thinking of him and hoping for the best. I hope everything turns out ok for him and his clients!

X2....it's truly eye opening that something like this happened to such an experienced captain...makes me wonder how some people who have no business running a 30 + foot boat do it...anything can go wrong on the water and that's always the case no matter who or how seasoned you are...

Dink
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
It wasn't dark. It was 8:30am. It was pouring rain, so I'd venture to guess the seas were kicked up. If so, this wouldn't be very visible, especially in the rain. For the Hull to be in one piece like That, he couldn't have been going very fast

H2OFwlKlr
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
It wasn't dark. It was 8:30am. It was pouring rain, so I'd venture to guess the seas were kicked up. If so, this wouldn't be very visible, especially in the rain. For the Hull to be in one piece like That, he couldn't have been going very fast

If the seas were rolling, you think it's possible he came down on it, not necessarily ran into it? Looks like it is resting on top of that corner piling?

Dink
07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Good point, but if he was going that slow, would he have seen it in the trough before he hit?

H2OFwlKlr
07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Good point, but if he was going that slow, would he have seen it in the trough before he hit?

No airbrakes on them boats, and definitely no take backs, unfortunately. As stated, I just hope he and his crew are ok, material things can be replaced, we can't!

eman
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Capt. Tommy Pellegrin
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/pics/thumb/p1272247756826621.jpg (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/profile.php?id=16023)

User Profile (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/profile.php?id=16023)
http://www.lasmag.com/lpca/images/lang.pngRecommend Comment (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=message&action=recommend&id=352235&prev_url=16023)
http://www.lasmag.com/lpca/images/lang.pngContact User (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=message&action=email_user&area=comment&id=352235&prev_url=http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=view&action=full_report&id=144999&sid=74e83a13775e9792610f60cccfb07f57)

Capt Josh
The only update I have right now is that Miles (deck hand) had to have plastic surgery on his face and that Capt Josh had broken his face. Just a simple way of saying what happened to him, Fractured jaw, cheek, and nasal cavity. Some of his stuff was saved before the boat eventually did sink

Montauk17
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Capt. Tommy Pellegrin
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/pics/thumb/p1272247756826621.jpg (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/profile.php?id=16023)

User Profile (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/profile.php?id=16023)
http://www.lasmag.com/lpca/images/lang.pngRecommend Comment (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=message&action=recommend&id=352235&prev_url=16023)
http://www.lasmag.com/lpca/images/lang.pngContact User (http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=message&action=email_user&area=comment&id=352235&prev_url=http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=reports&event=view&action=full_report&id=144999&sid=74e83a13775e9792610f60cccfb07f57)

Capt Josh
The only update I have right now is that Miles (deck hand) had to have plastic surgery on his face and that Capt Josh had broken his face. Just a simple way of saying what happened to him, Fractured jaw, cheek, and nasal cavity. Some of his stuff was saved before the boat eventually did sink

That really sucks! Only met him one time,but he is a good dude. He worked WAY harder than any captain would on the trip we went on. We caught our last tuna as the sun was going down. This was a day trip,not a overnighter. Not many capts will do that to put there customers on fish. I will keep him in my prayers,and with his background I am hopeful he will bounce back.

meaux fishing
07-13-2011, 01:15 PM
He is a great captain...this really sucks... Prayers sent out for sure

davides618
07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Prayers sent out. Been out with Capt. Josh before (pic in avatar was from trip with him). Really great Capt and person.

Montauk17
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Here is another pic.....

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/gulf-coast/182608d1310582514-f-v-looney-tuna-sunk-p1310570671901880.jpg

southern151
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Updates anyone?

jpeff31787
07-15-2011, 01:12 PM
i hope they all make it out ok!! I don't know Capt Josh but from what everyone says he sounds like a great guy, and I hope he can get back to doing what he loves.

BTW I met capt tommy pelligran one time in Venice, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. Told him I recognized him from lasmag

Garfish
07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Prayers for Capt. & crew. Speedy recovery to em. Hope it works out for em in the long run. Hate to see that kinda sheet happen to good peeps.

PaulMyers
07-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Email I received from Capt Gray Long (http://www.golongcharters.com/) as to how Capt. Josh Howard (http://www.deepsouthcharters.com/index.html )of the Looney Tuna is doing.

Thanks for the email and I know Josh appreciates everyones concern. Josh is physically doing OK. However, he is just at the beginning of a very long ordeal that none of know what to expect. He is tremendously upset about the entire thing as expected and is kind of in a "stand by" mode right now. Hopefully over the next couple of days and weeks things will begin to work out. Tell everyone at SaltyCajun that he appreciates their good wishes. Also, I have been following up on all of his booked trips beginning with the most current ones.