PDA

View Full Version : New La. Boating Laws

Ray
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
From the LDWF website:

BOATERS REMINDED OF NEW BOATING REGULATIONS

Release Date: 08/11/2009
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Law Enforcement Division (LDWF/LED) is advising boaters to be aware of new boating regulations that will go into effect on Aug. 15, 2009 including new regulations on personal flotation devices (PFD) also known as life jackets.
The recent legislative session produced some new boating regulations that will affect recreational boaters. Here is a summary of the new regulations:
--Anyone 16 years of age or younger, onboard a vessel less than 26 feet, is required to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD while the vessel is underway. The law previously stated that anyone under 12 was required to wear a PFD.

--Penalties for driving while intoxicated (DWI) now include the suspension or revocation of boating privileges when a person loses driving privileges due to suspension or revocation of their driver's license due to a DWI or DWI refusal whether the offense took place in a vehicle or a watercraft.
--Beginning July 1, 2010, persons born after Jan. 1, 1984 are required to successfully complete a boating education course to operate a motorboat over 10 horsepower. The law previously stated that anyone born after Jan. 1, 1988 was required to complete a course. Operators born between Jan. 1, 1984 and Dec. 31, 1987 have until July 1, 2010 to complete a course.

CatDaddy
08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Good to know.. Thanks

Montauk17
08-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I heard about the born after Jan. 1, 1988 was required to complete a course,but not 1984. That sucks i was born in 1985 and i've been in boats all my life. News to me......I heard a rumor that there trying to pass a law to make everyone to wear a pfd no matter the age,not sure if that will pass.....

huntin fool
08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
ughhh..i was just getting used to not wearing a life jacket when out riding in our ski boat, ohwell..they put laws in effect for reasons...(i wear one with my tiller handle 25)

LaAngler
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
great, i have been on boats my whole life and have to take a course now to learn how to operate one

Montauk17
08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
tell me about it man im in boats daily,this sucks

huntin fool
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
great, i have been on boats my whole life and have to take a course now to learn how to operate one

bruce i passed it with flying colors...got a 96% :churn::dance:

you can pass it

Ray
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
ughhh..i was just getting used to not wearing a life jacket when out riding in our ski boat, ohwell..they put laws in effect for reasons...(i wear one with my tiller handle 25)

It is required to wear one with any tiller motor and to also have the little red pig tail attached too.:work:
That was passed last year.

huntin fool
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
It is required to wear one with any tiller motor and to also have the little red pig tail attached too.:work:

yep. been wearing kill switch and pfd...dont worry they see me they come POUND me...they think im a 8 yr old driving a 25 :cry:

jsmoke222000
08-11-2009, 09:42 PM
For those of you that need to take the boat education course, you can do it online.

http://www.boat-ed.com/la/index.htm

They have a free online study course & practice tests. Once you pass the course you can turn in your certificate to your insurance company & get a cheaper rate on your boat insurance.

FWI: When you take the test, you have to pay a fee with your debit or credit card before you find out if you passed or not. While you are taking the test, you CAN open the study course in a seperate window of your browser & get all the answers by scanning through the study course! LOL

Montauk17
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Yep....only way you dont have to wear a kill lanyard if if the motor didnt have one from the factory. Good idea to wear one on a tiller anyways....

Gerald
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I hope those Boating courses spend lots of time on boating etiquette.

huntin fool
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
For those of you that need to take the boat education course, you can do it online.

http://www.boat-ed.com/la/index.htm

They have a free online study course & practice tests. Once you pass the course you can turn in your certificate to your insurance company & get a cheaper rate on your boat insurance.

FWI: When you take the test, you have to pay a fee with your debit or credit card before you find out if you passed or not. While you are taking the test, you CAN open the study course in a seperate window of your browser & get all the answers by scanning through the study course! LOL

i wouldnt post that :shaking::shaking::shaking:

but yes you pay $15 bucks each OFFICIAL test..i took my online

some stuff on there though you PROLLY WILL NEVER USE

Montauk17
08-11-2009, 09:46 PM
good to know I can do it online,thanks

CatDaddy
08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I had to get one anyway... The state requires me to have one since i cross the intracoastal with customers sometimes.

jsmoke222000
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah, you can just open the study course in one window & the test in another window. You can just skim through the study guide while you take the test. Most of the stuff on the test you will never use but it's good to know that you can double check your answers before you send your test to be graded. I'd hate for anyone to lose $15.

Ray
08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
The Lake Charles Power Squadron gives the course and test for free. They just as for a $5 donation for food and drinks they serve for lunch. I think they do the courses 4 or 5 times a year. They are located by the I-210 launch.
The next one is Oct. 3rd, 2009. You can register at Ship to Shore. They teach everything you need to know, then give the test at the end of the day.
http://www.lcpsonline.org/view.asp?id=2

Raymond
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I hope those Boating courses spend lots of time on boating etiquette.
Fat chance, idiots can still pass the test.:eek:

Ray
08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Fat chance, idiots can still pass the test.:eek:

Glad I am too old to hafta take it. But I bet in the next 10 years or so, everyone will have to take it.

"W"
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
1977....Aint taking DAT TESST...

But I will teach on how to set anchor or fish birds.....Even how to pull up to a reef!!!

Raymond
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
16' and under as I understand

southern151
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
16' and under as I understand
Yeah, it's not required for operation of a tiller handle boat. There may be something to do with age and tiller motors though.:confused:

callmaker
08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I think this is a good law guys i have worked for a fire dept for the last 19 years and have seen many water related deaths do to the fact of not putting on a life jacket . I know most of us do not like change but it is for our own personal safty

Ray
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
From the LDWF website. Sounds confusing...

No person shall operate a Class A or Class One motorboat with a hand tiller outboard motor in excess of ten horsepower designed to have or having an engine cut-off switch, while the engine is running and the motorboat is underway, unless:

a. The engine cut-off switch is fully functional and in operable condition; and

b. The engine cut-off switch link is attached to the operator, the operator's clothing, or if worn, the operator's personal flotation device.

The provisions of this Section shall not apply to licensed commercial fishermen operating a motorboat while engaged in commercial fishing activities. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to sailboats Engine cut-off switch - an operable emergency cut-off engine stop switch installed on a motorboat and that attaches to the motorboat operator by an engine cut-off switch link. Engine cut-off switch link the lanyard and/or cut-off device used to attach the motorboat operator to the engine cut-off switch installed on the motorboat.

Gerald
08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
If you have a Tiller handle boat under 16 foot.........after July 1, 2010 everyone in the boat must wear a life jacket.

This law is effective July 1, 2010

All persons onboard a Class A motorboat which is being propelled by a hand tiller outboard motor shall be required to wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III, or V personal flotation device while the motorboat is underway. A handtiller outboard is described as an outboard motor that has a tiller or steering arm attached to the outboard motor to facilitate steering and does not have any mechanical assist device which is rigidly attached to the boat and used in steering the vessel, including but not limited to mechanical, hydraulic, or electronic control systems. Hand tiller outboard motor shall not mean any type of electronic trolling motor.

jsmoke222000
08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Well rest assured that the online course is not hard @ all. The signs are a little tricky. Alot of questions about what shape & color certains buoys are. There is some really good stuff on the study course too. A little common sense goes a long way on the water.

It saved me $45 on my boat insurance.

Ray
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I have taken the Seamanship class from the Power Squadron. I am going to have to see if it will drop my insurance any.

cmdrost
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
they should drop insurance if you have completed boating classes. They drop it even more if you hold your captains license.